Playing in a band now

This topic contains 47 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by fiddlewood fiddlewood 3 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I answered an add for a bass and fiddle player and ended up playing standup Bass for a band.

Today I talked to the band leader and he agreed to hire another bass player so I can help on the fiddle. We will need one for all the two-steps and swing type stuff he wants to base the band on.

We have about 3 weeks or so to work up two sets worth of songs.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Enjoy!

Angela
    Participant

That’s great!  Hope you have a blast. Keep us updated and post some video!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s awesome, Dave! Congratulations! I would say this is going to help your fiddling like nothing else, but I happen to know that you already have a great practice ethic. Keep up the good work, and please upload a band video into the Lion’s Den or Musical Outreach forums!

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Super nice Fiddlewood ! Great times ! great times ! Very happy for you :O)

Gu

Cohumulone
    Cohumulone
    Participant

That’s fantastic! Playing with others helps me like nothing else.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks all!

It’s like any band thing…might work out might not; I’ve been in a lot of them. It is nice to get out and play with others a couple times a week though, it’s been several years since I did the team thing.

The double bass just wasn’t fitting in with some on the material. We’ve now switched to to electric, and the guitar players wife is going to try to learn bass. She already plays piano well, sings great, and I think took music in college, so it might work out ok, as I can teach her anything she needs to learn and then pick up the bass when needed on the more difficult stuff at first.

Long way to go meterial wise yet, but it’s wonderful to have specific things to work on rather than looking around for the next thing that interests me, not knowing if I’m actually working toward anything.

• This reply was modified 48 years ago by .

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Sounds like the band is trying to find it’s “voice.” I hope it turns into something wonderful!

Justine
    Justine
    Participant

Congratulations and good luck, Dave!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Update:

The date for the job has long since passed (we could get other jobs though)

I’ve decided to leave this unit. I like the guys and playing guitar and fiddle, we are just too far apart on material, and styles, I think. That, and it’s a bit of financial strain on my limited income to drive there twice a week to practice.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I totally understand that! I have a part-time band of friends here locally, but I have pulled way back on the number of dates I play with them. I it just to much added to everything else I am doing. I feel kind of bad since they are my pals and I enjoy making music with them, but it just isn’t where my life is headed right now. Still, I hope it has been a great experience for you!

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Fiddlewood Dave , and John , there is much to learn out there playing with bands, now 2 months into playing with 3 bands now , I can see how staying at home is something to miss . We have beautiful families and other projects that have much needed attention… Will take your advice and re consider come September . The pay is well replacing hard work in the bush , but some of the songs are a challenge even to comprehend what I m doing there. Experience is something when it comes to music playing and having the guts to do it live , but there is nothing like playing for my little girl who huggs me with intense happiness at home…
    Not everyone has families to go home too, so , on retro thought , going out to play is like a duty to the people . Thanks for supporting both side of the trade . Music is the way home !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

John, you have a lot of irons in the fire…sometimes we need to pick and choose just due to the amount of waking hours we have available.

Gu, sounds like you have a good handle on things…it is good to reflect a bit and not make rash decisions. giving yourself time for thought helps toward a more sane outcome. I’m sure you’ll come up with a final solution that fits your needs & wishes as well as those of your family.

I just have the dog here at home, and usually take him with me if the weather is ok for him to be in the truck.

For me it comes down to how I want to spend my time. The festival I spent ten days working at just recently really brought this home to me. I choose to be a pretty traditional musician and just have no interest in what is on the radio currently, or genres that depend on electric rhythm.

I’m still playing some Bass for another band that is totally within what I enjoy in style. Playing this Fri at a municipal celebration and at a rodeo on Sunday. The money, music type, talent, and long friendships are all there in this group so I’ll stick with that for a while.

Bass isn’t my first choice to play, but I do it at a much higher level than I do other instruments, so get to play with better musicians when on that.

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Thanks Dave , I hope I do , I mean what your saying about the driving too , it does make a difference , here , when I play in our little village it s just arround the corner , very simple , and mostly country music and exelant piano back up for my BGD tunes finally ! but the other band is an hour away and they do have me play Shania Twain solos and intros witch is cool a little and the French traditionals are nice but they also have me doing heavy rock back up fiddle and it s good for my double stops brain but I’m playing what power chords sound like on guitar using one down pick only I have to bow the whole time and sustaining two notes real tight for a guitar distortion solo is tuff on my back and bowing arm . Ho boy !
    It s very cool that you play bass and get to play with better musiciens !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s the joy and frustration of playing in a band. I’m a team player, not a diva, but that can have its own rewards.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’m with you on the tem player thing John.
    I always figured myself as a back=up musician. Front men come and go, but they always need someone to help create the sound they want. I like the challenge of helping create a good foundation for what is happening out front.

Now that I reflect on it a bit, I think the amount of being depended on to be out front (without those backing up understanding what was needed for particular styles) was quite frustrating, and uncomfortable, and had a fair share to do with my decision to leave that unit.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Fiddlewood, I have been following this thread and I am happy for you. I am glad you found a band you are happy with. I don’t like being out front either, in fact it would scare me just being on stage. My hope is one day getting good enough to go around and play at retirement homes.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind fronting if the band can play appropriately enough so it’s comfortable to do so, it’s just never been my goal.

Like John mentioned…it’s all teamwork. If you get comfortable with a group you might be surprised what you feel your good enough to do after you play with them for a while!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

fiddlewood, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend. I took the word uncomfortable incorrectly. I thought only of my own fears. It is really hard for me to be a focal point. I hope all goes well with you and your new band! I was asked, in church, to close with a word of prayer and I still can’t remember what I said in the prayer, I was so nervous.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rock, that just made me think of Romans 8:26. Hopefully you were doing more than just groaning though! 🙂 I’m like you; I have a hard time praying out loud for a group!

Dave, I know what you mean. I hate being “hung out to dry” by a band playing unsure backup. It’s a terrible feeling!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Yea it is hard with about 600 in church that day. That is 1200 eyes and ears. 🙂

Dave I wish you nothing but good luck!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

haha, no worries Rock…no offense taken, and thank you for the good wishes.

Wow, that’s a good sized crowd. Public speaking is far harder for me than performing music. I think it’s the fact of being on my own…probably why I’ve never done the solo performing thing, though I’ve considered it many times.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Dave, I can get on the site and gab away but put me in front of a group and zip!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

The only thing worse than public speaking is watching your kid try to do public speaking. I still have “Gavel Club” nightmares! 🙂

But, as someone once told me, shyness is a form of selfishness. I guess in a way it’s true! If you are going to be a blessing to someone, you have to put yourself out there!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

‘Selfishness’..Oh no, now I not only have to go through fainting in front of people and the embarrassment…I have to suffer a guilt trip over it!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Haha Rodger, I must be the most selfish guy in the world. 🙂

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

John Cockman wrote: Rock, that just made me think of Romans 8:26. Hopefully you were doing more than just groaning though!

I thought of Mathew 6:7 but not at the time. 🙂 It was a rather short prayer!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha yes there are a lot of “selfish” people out there. So concerned with how foolish they will look passed out on the stage that they refuse to speak out! Rock, thanks for having mercy on everyone and not making it a long prayer.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Applied for a full time fiddle playing position with a band  out of N. Carolina. Highly doubt I’ll get the job but thought I’d put in the effort to apply.

Carolina Blue is wanting a second fiddler.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cool! They look like an awesome band. I bet I’ve jammed with some of those guys at one point. You might have to learn to ride a horse, though!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Figured you may have run across them at one time or another John.

I think working with someone like Merl Johnson might be the best thing that could happen to my fiddling right now, but I expect there is someone closer and more up on keeping up to pick from…If no one else applied I figured I had a shot though…hahaha

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

That is great news, Dave.  I hope you get to really enjoy it all.

Angela
    Participant

That is so exciting Dave.  I hope you make it and get to play a lot.  That would be amazing.  I have my fingers crossed for you.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks all!

Not expecting the fiddle job really but had to give it a shot.

I do have a pretty fair chance at a touring Country Bass job I applied to audition for though.  They spend about 50% of their time in the MI and the other 1/2 touring nationally.

Not counting on anything, but sure would like ot play in a band this year…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hope you can!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

You make a great bass man, and your fiddle has really exploded this year. You are definitely ready to fiddle in a band!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks for the confidence John, I’ve been looking over what I played a year ago and can see that the time spent has been worth it.

Well, I didn’t get the fiddle job, but not feeling bad about losing out to Greg (Spanky) Moore.

Made the first cut for the Bass job and had to send in some more info about me personally…

Hit up every friend I could think of who’s out playing regular to keep their ears perked for an opening in a decent band based in the Midwest. Hopefully something will pop up…I don’t really care what instrument I’m on, I just really want to play out again.

Did manage to pick up a one day Bass gig playing for a friend. I have to leave a festival I’m working at in MI and run down to OH on a Sat afternoon for a show. We’ll be back in time for the evening stage shows, so should work out nicely.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That will be a crazy Saturday! I know it will be lots of fun though. And, Spanky Moore is a pretty awesome fiddler. I think he will be a good fit with Carolina Blue.

Hey if you get a chance make a video of your gig to upload to the Lion’s Den!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Yeah, I think Greg will fit that band well. If I get a chance I will get someone to run my camera.

Yes it is a whole crazy week for me. I usually start there at the festival a week early…running bobcat…move picnic tables, bleachers, fill holes in roads, set up day parking, set up traffic control, help move vendors into their  spots, etc. I also run a tractor through the campground picking up trash every morning. Two years ago I was so busy I never got out an instrument (too busy pulling rigs in and out of the mud). Last year I only managed to play maybe an hour before I got called on the radio.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in