Playing the Songs I've learned

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Playing the Songs I've learned

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Steve Srader Steve Srader 2 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

My song and tune list , just gets bigger every month ! Right now I am able to play every song I know at least once a day , The ones I am trying to get up to speed are played five or six times a day and more ! I was wondering if anyone else is addicted like Me or if I am all alone ? I am not as bad as John waking up in bed playing the fiddle Yet ! LOL

So who else is addicted ?

Also is there a place to get help or is it Not curable ? LOL

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m addicted too, Steve.  I don’t get a lot of practice time in these days, but I do grab my instruments….  well gosh I just erased most of my post here…lol.  I’m still not used to this chromebook.  Anyway…to make a long story short…yes, I’m addicted…don’t have tons of time to play at the moment, but play when I can, and plan to play more if we ever get the work caught up.  I think about it constantly, then try to play what I was thinking when I can…never works out, but it’s a fun thing to do.  There is no cure…fiddle addiction is permanent!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Does thinking about fiddle tunes keep you awake?  Happens to me.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Peggy, running through fiddle breaks in my mind is how I go to sleep each night.

Steve, I’ve been obsessed with playing & singing since I was a young kid…50 years, 6 instruments, and countless songs/tunes later I still have a need to learn more, or improve what I already know. It’s the one goal I’ve had i life that has never left me.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It’s a great obsession…although, sometimes I imagine my life would be easier without all the music…lol.  But…I’ll never quit.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Lol guys you are starting to sound like me. If I’m not playing the fiddle, I’m dreaming of playing the fiddle.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’ve always been that way with music…always going on in my head…

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

Alas, I am hopelessly addicted.  I have my phone equipped with Pandora which is blue-toothed to my truck radio.  I have been driving along so intent on listening to the Kenny Baker channel of the Ralph Stanley channel and trying to catch the breaks or whatever and completely missed my exit. I will come home from work after 10 hours and still have an hour or so to practice. And let’s not even talk about road trips to jams. I am already ironing out details for a fiddle lesson/jam trip in September. Its a great lifelong adventure. And I have big plans coming in January ! ! !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fran, that is the first time I have heard the verb “blue-toothed.” Thanks for opening up my vocabulary. I’m excited about your musical journey!

Angela
    Participant

I’m Angela and I’m addicted to fiddle (Hi Angela)

It all began 5 years ago when I saw this guy from NC playing Back Up and Push on Youtube.  He said he would teach me to fiddle if I just tried it for a month.  After a month, he said I should try it for 6 months.  He said I was doing better, but I would realllllly be able to fiddle if I signed up for life.  I fought it, but the temptation was just too great.  I hit the button, and well, here I am.

After awhile I was fiddling all the time–neglecting my work; my husband; my housework.  I started hanging out with new people who asked me to fiddle.  I had to have fiddle strings, fiddle bows, fiddle rosin, fiddle books, fiddle Pandora stations, new fiddles.

I had to fiddle in bands and camps and gigs.  I had to hide in the back room to fiddle so I wouldn’t hurt my husbands ears.

I can’t quit fiddling.

Thanks for listening….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

oh, you’ve got it bad…lol.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I wonder if there’s a 12-step program for fiddle addicts? F A? do re me FA?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred the 12 step program should make certain we stay addicted , and long live the fiddle addicts !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sorry guys, there’s only the 12-tone program…and the steps are only dance steps.  Reminds me…where we came from, so many guys were alcoholics and there was no help to be gotten anywhere.  We moved up here and I worked at the university…I kept seeing all these signs about 12-step meetings here and there on campus…like a dummy, I asked one of my co-workers if the 12-step was like square dancing.  Haha…I got laughed at every time I opeend my mouth for those first two years until I figured out what’ what in the real world…or maybe it’s the REEL world…the hornpipe world…the 12 step oughta be a dance.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Angela, you’ve done very well with your fiddling! Truly on of our BGD success stories. But it’s almost entirely due to your own hard work and perserverance!

OK You guys made me think of a great workshop title:

The Melodic Scale: A 12 half-step program to removing the weight of the world!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes!  That pretty much sums it up, John!  Great title for a workshop.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Ha !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in