Practice Mutes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is it good, bad, or indifferent that I seem to be using a practice mute most of the time when practicing?  I do most practicing in the evening after my three year old is in bed so I’m trying to be quiet.  I find that when I take it off it’s a little jarring because of how loud my violin really is, lol.  But… is there any long term harm using the mute can have on my playing?

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I don’t think there would be any long term harm. I use the mute a lot, too. My violin is loud, too.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

If you play consistently with a practice mute it will effect the way you hear when you play. However, I do not think there will be any negative effect on your playing. Mute away!

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

I use a mute sometimes. Just play the way you would without it. It won’t have any long term effect

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I’ve grown to like the violin sound muted. So at practice, my fellow band members are forever having to remind me to slide the mute back so they can hear both the volume and the quality of the tone my violin produces.

cricketcricket
    Participant

For me…I keep mutes on my fiddles so I can grab them and play a little here and there…not disrupting the household…but I find when I play wihtout the mute the sustain of the fiddle does seem to be such a difference it takes me a few minutes to adjust and not get distracted by it.  So…at least for me…I need to play it some without the mute too so I can stay used to how much more sustain it has without.  I do love the sound of it muted while just sitting there waiting for something to cook, or whatever…

Participant

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.  I was getting worried it might be a problem.  I feel better now. 🙂 I’ll keep doing what I’m doing.

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

haha…I’m so the minority here…

I grew up with crappy instruments that needed played hard to get a sound.

Now i have better instruments and must constantly remind myself to not overplay them…

so i never use a mute…I’ve learned to control my volume.or am still learning anyway.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.