Presonus Digital Audio Workstation and Interface

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Presonus Digital Audio Workstation and Interface

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

For the longest time I used to use the software program “Finale” for composing with the ability to score for all manner of orchestra instruments and even do tablature for banjo and guitar, etc. I really liked the program. Every year or so the company would come out with an upgrade and I would learn that, too.

Then I got busy and didn’t compose orchestral material for quite a while. My subscription lapsed and I didn’t bother renewing it. Instead, later when I wanted to compose again, I found a free software program called “Muse Score 3” and that worked fine up until just lately.

A few years ago, when I first came on this site, I had the pleasure of meeting “Cricket”/Peggy who has uploaded countless tunes and songs by recording on her software made by “Presonus”.

I’m used to a huge analogue system so it took me quite a while to figure out a digital audio workstation but I think I am finally figuring it out. I purchased Presonus Professional software and a Presonus 26C interface lately. I also purchased an Audio Technica 2035 cardioid microphone to record through. I also use a Blue Ball mic. I am extremely delighted with this gear.

Already, I have returned to a Prelude (Opus One number Three) that I composed in 1972 for piano. I have started composing the string parts for two violins, one viola, one cello and a double bass for this very same Prelude. The instruments sound so real it’s incredible.

I’m sure I’ll be a while at this but when I get it done, I will do my best to post it so you all can hear this program at work. It’s amazing!

Thanks, Peggy for getting me interested in Presonus.

Participant

I bought studio one 4 artist last year and have never figured it out. Dont know if i ever will.

Great ScottGreat Scott

That’s great news, Fred. You have some excellent gear. I hope you score many fantastic orchestral pieces — my favorite music in the world.  I prefer using analog studio recording gear than digital.

I bought Studio One a few years back when it came on sale, I think at around half-price.  I hear that  the Presonus hardware is very good, but like Eddie, I was never able to get me head around the Studio One DAW. I just felt the Studio One DAW was too convoluted FOR ME.  I had been using FL Studio for a bit by the time I bought Studio One, mostly using FL Studio to record motifs — and it worked well enough for me.  However, it was not exactly like regular DAWs such as Reaper, ProTools, etc.  And I wanted a DAW that closely resembled those DAWs just mentioned.  I turned to Reaper and gave it a try, and although it is an excellent DAW, and can do just about everything that ProTools can do, I found it to have a steep learning curve.  (my brain is only small). Tried Reaper again recently, but I keep returning to FL Studio because of its quick simplicity.  I won’t be using Studio One again.  I feel that the creators of S1 were trying TOO hard to make it look different in many ways to regular DAWs, which really lost my patience.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Cool, Fred!  You’ll be playing so much on that setup soon.

My Presonus is down at the moment because our computer is just no good.  We were setting up on a new Hand-me-down computer given to us by our daughter, then my dad got very sick and life has gotten sorta tumultuous…hoping they can get him treated and back out of the hospital and rehab places and back home where he can relax again.  He’s 95 and laying in bed all day for weeks is not helping him much.  Anyway, once things sorta straighten out some we’ll get back to our computer switch-over, get the software back again (which is a dreaded job) and start up the ol’ presonus on what’ll be the third computer since we got that thing.  If I was rich, I’d get myself an Apple computer and be done with all this computer madness…but…doin’ good to just have any computer…lol…so I guess I shouldn’t complain about that…just get it hooked up and play a tune on that thing.  Dread the changes, though…I love what can be done with technology but I don’t like messin’ with it at all, when stuff goes wrong.

Participant

Wow. Interesting information. Thanks all for sharing! I used Allegro back in the day, and it was pretty decent. Reading through your various posts, I don’t know that I’d ever have the patience to learn the different software anymore. I’m thinking of leaving that to the more adventurous sort 😉

Currently I have a chromebook; iPad and iPhone. I guess the iOS devices do what I need it to do. Just record, warts and all. Part of me wants to invest in another Mac, and part of me can’t justify going into debt for something that I would only use to “play with”. But sometimes I’m sorely tempted to pop out that ole credit card lol

Great ScottGreat Scott

Fred ~ Can you tell me what happened to MuseScore 3?  You said in your post that it worked fine up until lately.

Cricket ~ I’m sorry to hear about your dad.  I’m sure he’s going to be OK.  No doubt, on hearing the news that he is ill, we are all sending him ‘Get Well Real Soon’ wishes.

Lisa ~ These days, when I feel like I want something — I mean, like really, really . . . REALLY want something, I always ask myself, 1) “Do I really need it?” 2) “Is it going to improve my life?” 3) Can I live without it?” And the most important question of all is 4) “Can I afford it?” I usually answer “NO” to all four questions. Then I wait a few days, and go out and buy it. LOL!!!

Seriously, I know you like Apple, but if you or anyone is looking for a good computer to use for music production, or photographic work, desktop publishing, video editing etc,  you can build your own (dare I say it) Windows machine that will do everything that an expensive over-priced Apple can do.  A highly efficient home-build (so easy to assemble yourself) to do all the creative pursuits mentioned above can be built for $600 — $1,000.  Lots of video tutorials available on the net. I always build my own computers except for my laptop.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi Great Scott: Nothing really happened to Musescore 3. It still works fine. I just needed a whole lot more in the line of instruments. There are acceptable pianos, strings bowed and plucked, etc., but getting down into the weeds is where the realism counts the most and I love some of the more professional sound libraries. My next purchase will be Hollywood Strings.

I’ve done some scoring for films, mostly documentaries and I remember how time-consuming it was to write out a score and record it with the older style synths and they just were not convincing. Nowadays the samples are recorded from really good instruments by really brilliant engineers using really expensive mics. Then, recorded by composers using digital equipment keeping the noise floor really low.

I’ve been an analogue guy forever and I still like fat tracks but I am switching over to more and more digital DSPs as time goes by.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.