Pretty Saro…Happy World Fiddle Day!!!

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums The Lion’s Den Pretty Saro…Happy World Fiddle Day!!!

This topic contains 52 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by rodger rodger 1 day ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well, I love the lesson John taught on this one and learned it from that…but…well I kinda cheated and tuned to ADAD instead of doing it in GDAE, because…I don’t know…for some reason it’s just a lot easier for me that way, although, I miss the low G notes in GDAE…no way i can duplicate that wonderful dark sound they give…but… for now…this is the only way I could manage it.  I hope I got the crooked rhythm right… had a little trouble getting it.  Here it is!  Happy World Fiddle Day—Do you know where your fiddle is??

John Cockman
    Keymaster

This is a happy start to World Fiddle Day! I like your version way better than mine. You performed it perfectly. I think it sounds great in ADAD. I love the harmonies as well. Thank you so much for posting!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

John, you are way too nice…I only wish I could ever grow up to play like you! I do appreciate the detailed lesson, the heads up explanation of that tricky, Purcell-like rhythm, which wasn’t easy for me to catch…and I sure appreciate the helpfulness.  But I was gonna do this one on the iPad, but couldn’t sing it and it was sounding boring just going on and on with my ol scratchy fiddling…so once I get on that Presonus, I just think up stuff to do…I still couldn’t work in all the words to sing them into that wonderful crooked rhythm…I wanna work at that and get this to where I can do the whole thing in person…except maybe not the twin fiddling parts…tune to be able to play it somewhere and sing it…it’s a beautiful tune.  Happy WFD!

Joe
    Participant

Great job Cricket you really sound good.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Joe!  Happy World Fiddle Day!  This tune is so cool I think it’d sound pretty good no matter what…I just love it and wanna get it down good enough to sing all the way through.

Fiddle4me
    Participant

Happy World Fiddle Day! For this occasion I am changing my username from Violin4me to Fiddle4me!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Happy name -changing, Fiddle4…me…er..for you…how do I say that?  Happy Day to Fiddle4me…and fiddle 4 all of us!👌🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Seems everything you do sounds good to me .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s very kind to say, Steve…thank you for listening and that encouragement.  I hope I can hear you play soon!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

You are the prize winner for Fiddle Day Cricket.  You sure been busy, and now you got me wanting to dust off the mockingbird and see if I can get it.  Anyway…I got to get this in…”Nashville” has a NHL hockey team, (their logo is a big sabertooth tiger).  So on World Fiddle day they came from behind and just beat Anaheim and are up 3 games to 2, and one win away from the final round and chance at the Stanley Cup.  They have a player by the name of “Fiddler” (where else but in Nashville?).   So all you Bluegrass Nashvilleites should really be into hockey for the next few days.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s  neat hockey tale about “Fiddler,” Rodger!  Cool trivia for World Fiddling Day!  Hope you end up playing some of the Mockingbird for us one of these days.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s kind of cool! Here’s Vernon Fiddler of the Nashville Predators. Congrats on a big win on World Fiddle Day!

Player Headshot

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Kinda like the name, Shoemaker, indicating family lines of established shoe makers, you kinda figure he comes from a long line of fiddlers…somebody give him a fiddle.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Poor guy. To come from a long line of fiddlers, and now he’s out there slapping a hocky puck. Well, I’m sure his mama still loves him. 🙂

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

You can’t tell me the ‘Nashville’ coach wasn’t saying, We got to have a fiddler playing for Nashville, when they hired him.  What’s really cool, is that hockey players have their last name in great big, huge, letters on the back of their uniform so they can be identified in the heat of the battle for stats, penalties, etc. etc.

Looks kind of old for a hockey player?  Another things for sure…he’s bound to have some missing teeth….

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by rodger rodger.
    ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Nice song but how does one know when to change the tuning?   Never did that but will be doing something like that when my viola arrives in a few weeks.  Whole buncha events popped up which seriously interfered with my Irish Washerwoman  that I’d hoped to have by Fiddle Day.  Have increased my practice time considerably and still hope to have a presentable tune …someday.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, it is hard to keep your teeth in your face when you play that game. 🙂 Now they need to bring Erik Westrum (we strum) out of retirement so Fiddler can have some backup…

Ralph, something is always getting in the way. Hope you can get back onto Irish Washerwoman soon!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

OK, it took me a second time through to get it…but I got it —Nashville plays again today…If you see Fiddler get out his fiddle, setting there on the bench between shifts..well, might not be a good sign..

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

🤣

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, Nashville & Fiddler won the third round tonight and are going to the finals.  So they have a shot at all the marbles.  They beat the Anaheim Ducks, who have a player named Fowler.  Fiddler scored a key goal.  Sorry, but this seems to me like fiddle news (?).

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

These hockey names are just amazing…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hurray for Fiddler and the Nashville Predators! Haha Fowler plays for the Ducks.

I guess we should root for the Senators to win their series against the Penguins so we could have a situation where Ben Harpur is garding Fiddler. It might go like this:

“Here comes Fiddler on a breakaway! He hears the music playing, but now up comes Harpur looking to make a play. Fiddler just tried a Slew Foot, but fortunately Harpur is light on his feet! Fiddler is in the zone, with Harpur backing him up, trying to pick it off. He just got swiped with a high stick from Fiddler! Harpur goes off, and now Fiddler is out on the floor. That results in a quick whistle; we’ll be back right after this break.”

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Who’s on first????

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Beautifully done, Cricket!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rock, leave it up to you to get us back on topic. 🙂

It was a great rendition, Cricket.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh thanks, Rock…and Scott would be so proud of you!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

I just couldn’t help myself. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh gosh…if you start staying on topic, I’m gonna be the one in trouble all the time!  Don’t turn on me now!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Sorry,  Cricket.  I really heard the video of your playing Pretty Saro and just wanted to express how much I liked it.  I didn’t read the thread,  I’m sarofull.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…well…ok…I’m glad you liked it.  Now, what’s the best flavor of ice cream?

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Rocky road or anything chocolate.  I have stopped eating chocolate though.  I needed to loose this spare tire.  Now I eat peanut butter crackers,  not the same but it does the job.  I kinda took the day off yesterday so it’s back to work today.  🙁

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gosh…I know the kinda stuff you’re going through…take it easy…going through all that kinda thing is what caused me to disregard my own health and I put on about 40 lbs.  Here lately I’ve been working very hard to get it off again…got a little scale and a book that tells how to weigh anything you eat in ounces and figure up the calories…I started at 1200 a day, but here at week 14 doing that, I’ve gradually increased it to 1500 a day…mostly steamed veggies ( low in calories) plus a little meat and rice with tons of spices…once in a while a calorie-controlled sandwich…plus always an S day full of treats each week…some weeks 2 days.   Yes, I’ve lost weight, two jeans sizes, but not sure how much because it stresses me out to weigh myself.  But this all came about because I was so overworked and focused on everybody else’s problems…we really have to somehow make the time to take care of ourselves, at all costs.  If you don’t take care of yourself, then it’s gonna make everything worse…please, no matter what, put yourself first in line…we all need to do that.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

My sister said that,  “Rock, you gotta take care of Rock”.  I haven’t counted calories yet but am more active so that and no sweets is working.  I put to much sugar in my coffee though and drink to much of it!  I’m still thinking of getting out of his chair and start doing what I need to do today,  still thinking.  🙂

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

OK,  one more cup.  🙂

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Lol. Just when I’m feeling good about quitting chocolate, something like this comes out:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chocolate-linked-to-lower-risk-for-atrial-fibrillation-heart-health/

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Scare tactics,  great!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I got to the point where I was gonna give it up, but now I enjoy it on my designated S Days.  From what I’ve read, being too far over our ideal weight is responsible for almost all chronic illnesses, or at least makes them worse.  So I’ve been getting old and fat while putting 100% into doing a lot of stuff that needed doing…seems everybody else is unable to do it…etc.  Now I turn around, trying to wind it all up, learning to not be the only one to help…that’s hard to do, but I’m going downhill fast this way and I’ve got plenty of my own stuff that needs working on.  We still have a big dirt hole in a room of our house with rotten joists that need ripping out and replacing, new subfloor, new wall studs put in, electric, etc.  We’ve done stuff like that for everybody else and just feeling too worn out to get back to our own old house that’s been falling apart, etc.  Anyway…during all that I got fat and realize it’s not good for our health after the night I went to the ER and they weighed me (😱), which was one the worst things they coulda done…then we about went broke and are still recovering from that financial disaster…I guess it all hit me then how much I’ve neglected myself, my health, my serenity, my music, how messed up and stressed out I was…I decided it was time to take aggressive action…buy the scale and calorie figuring book…take a walk every day again like we used to, take time to relax, play music, learn to like the feeling of hunger…enjoy the S Days…to me…I read somewhere that when you’re hungry, it’s your blood chemistry and even your brain chemistry changing for the better…I mean, a limited hunger of course, not starvation…but I get through the days figuring the hunger I feel is my medicine.  I did raise my calorie intake up an extra 300 so the hunger wouldn’t be overwhelming…1500 per day is a good balance…still a lot of hunger involved, but it’s the healing force.  The years fly by and the damage accumulates fast when we neglect ourselves.  We still do too much work for too many people and put ourselves last on the list, but I’m trying hard to take care of my health and also get my stress level down.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

And speaking of Pretty Saro..I’m gonna do a good one ( I hope!) on my recording machine the next day I get sone time!  Try to do the whole thing.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Body weight is just a state if mind,  right?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Sure, if it wasn’t for gravity we’d ‘all’ be just fine….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in