Problems recording

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hey, guys…I just sent my daughter the first attempt at her Purcell song.  I know she’ll reject it because I’m sure it’s a big mess, but even if I did the music right…she’ll reject it because for some reason at some point in the middle of the recording, there is this sound of swishing air…although I was using my guitar and the Yamaha keyboard, so there were no hot mics in use at all…they were plugged in.  Now, the next problem is a tough one for me…squeaky finger sounds on the guitar…the squeaks on the Purcell are actually louder than the music I was playing, in places.  I tried fingerease, and it actually made my fingers squeak louder…the guitar is the only thing my fingers squeak on…so…when she sends it back and tells me I gotta go through all that Purcell headache again, which will be terrible, since I have no idea what it was I did the first try, so duplicating something similar will be a tough chore, anyway…I gotta figure out how to keep the noise down too…never could figure out what the air swish sound was…I don’t remember dealing with it on the Presonus before…and I don’t know what to do about m6 squeaky fingers…anybody know what I can do?  Fingerease is no help.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Just guessing here…

Is there some setting on the keyboard or in your effects loop causing the “air” sound?

Are you using any phantom power?

Are the recording machine and the keyboard plugged into the same circuit?

Could also be a bad cord (unshielded) picking up radio waves, or the electronics picking up a change in voltage in the circuit.

Hard to tell without hearing the sound.

The guitar squeak comes from moving your hand while touching the strings…afraid the only choices I see are improving left-hand technique, or try using a mic near the sound hole, away from the left hand.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I kept looking for loose connections, stuff rattling, etc.  I sure couldn’t find anything…it is very cold in that room where I record, especially now that we are in this deep freeze…I was wondering if it was too cold for electronics to behave…my instruments pop outta tune constantly down there in the coldest part of winter…I’m always having to stop and retune…but I don’t know if that was the problem.  I’d hate to have to redo all that…lol…I didn’t know what I was doing the first time and just pieced, deleted, retried, etc., until I got something I hoped would be acceptable.  I didn’t hea4 static through my headphones, but when daughter said she heard it, I listened to the MP3 id sent her and heard it too.  I guess I’ll go down and see if it’s on the original recording too and if I can tell where it’s coming from…after lots of hot coffee…lol.  The squeak6 fingers…I was wondering if it’d be less loud if I used a guitar with a mic, instead of plugging it directly in….it’s not a big deal on my own music, because the guitar is just steady…on this Purcell, guitar is all different…the squeaks are very bad.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Good luck on your hunt!

A mic should pick up less finger noise than a pickup.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks…I might switch to micing ( that looks like mice-ing…maybe I spelled that wrong) the guitar for certain things.  I did find the swishing air noise…that daughter more accurately called “static.”  Fortunately for me it was an easy fix…it was one track I’d done with the keyboard…English horn track…apparently my connection maybe wasn’t good but I’m so lucky I hade stopped for some reason before I put the gist of its playing on, so there was a cut in the  track where maybe I left to come up for lunch or something…or possibly to take a call…who knows…but I had unplugged 5he keyboard and re plugged before gett8ng back to it so it was only part of the track I had to cut.  Oh gosh tha5 was lucky.  Re@sent to daughter so now I wait to see if it’s approved and I can be done with that.  She didn5 say anything about the squeaky fingers, so 8 won’t 3ither…lol.  Never, 3ver press your luck!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Spelling is kind of funny , As in I am going to mic the guitar , or I should be talking to Mike about miking the guitar , or I will switch to miking the guitar , Miking techniques are the start to a great recording. Learn about miking techniques to get the best sound out of your microphone in this article. Ha Cricket I looked it up as I was misspelling it too just this week I though that looks like Mice – ing we are not wrong it is mice /rodents ! LOL

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh thanks, Steve…lol…I guess I oughta know how to spell it right or I might look like I don’t know what I’m talking about ( which might be true regardless of my spelling🤔)…lol.  Anyway…good news…Annie says yes to ,y MP3…she can use that Purcell recording for B-Roke Operas spring project!  Hurray…but there is also some bad news… she’s s3nding me another Purcell song to tackle…boooo, or I should jus5 sit down with my head in m6 hands and say…Boo-hooo!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I feel for You , nothin like a reoccurring night mare , who knows what will be next , just think of all the diversity of broadening your horizons , LOL good luck with the next, next, next, Ha,Ha,Ha

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…yeah…never-ending.  I’m happy to see her finding a way to do what she loves, but there’s gotta be a real musician s9mewhere who could handle this stuff a lot easier…but all she’s got is me, so we all struggle through to get her some usable tracks.  At least it’s not a full opera this time…I think she’s still worn out from that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in