Pulse Bowing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Cricket:  Is this what you do when you fiddle a tune?  I think it is 😊  Anyone else notice the similarity?  <see below>

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Nancy that’s cool , She’s adding some character , or color to it so its not so plain , what do you think ??

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…that’s a cool little video on bowing.  Man, bowing is just so complicated to talk about, but so natural to do, sometimes…lol.  Well I’ve heard people talk about figure 8 bowing before, but I don’t really understand or feel like I exactly get that too much, however, the pulse I think I do get somewhat.  Mainly, though, I think of my own playing as bow-rocking, which I believe is part of what she’s describing…I’m not aware if I change speed in bowing…maybe I do unconsciously, but I’m not really sure if I do that…but, I grab other strings as I go along.  ONe really excellent lesson on that here is in the Candy Girl lesson…bow rocking all the way through.  I had a hard time getting that lesson…I already bow-rocked, but my bow-rocking was different enough that to try to get the Candy Girl bow rocking was a struggle, but I stuck with it and I feel like it greatly helped my bowing in general.  Now, bowing is a very personal thing…and I loved the Wave Philosophy toward the end of her video…I’m thoroughly in agreement…if you play each note in its own right, leave it isolated within the tune, things probably won’t hook up to form the crux of the tune as they should.  Once a person begins to see the relationships of the notes to form a, what some people call a melodic contour, and I call it that too, for lack of a better word, but the idea, is once a person stops concentrating on individual notes in their own right, but focuses on how those notes join to form a bigger, melodic contour…I think, in my humble opinion of course, they are really, really playing that tune.  This is what i try for…I like to sing the tune first…hum it…I think when a person sings they are less likely to just punch out note by note…they will automatically try to make the notes unite to make bigger sense of the tune’s melodic contour…imho.  I think she was saying the same idea with the wave philosophy.  Back when I was probably late teens, someone showed me the most valuable bowing lesson I ever had…I had no instrument to practice on , but they showed me what lots of people today called the Nashville Shuffle…and how that kinda sets up a rhythm that you can drop the tune into.  Once you get that shuffle, the idea was to get away from it, while, at the same time, keeping true to it…keeping the feel for it, and ready to jump back in and out as necessary.  Well, I didn’t have an instrument, not for another 40 years after being shown that…but, I had 40 years for that idea to sink in…lol.  That’s how long it takes me…lol.  Jump up to the age of 55, once I had the time, money, and awareness of my lack of fiddle, to buy myself my first fiddle…then I tried for those shuffles, but had all kinds of trouble doing them.  I had heard of bow rocking, but wasn’t sure how to do it.  I spent a lot of time talking to a guy on Fiddle Hangout (very nice guy who was an expert on any kind of bowing, unfortunately has since passed away)…but did a lot of discussion and his answers were practically books…lol.  Anyway, he was broke and didn’t have a camera, etc., so mainly he wrote about it on the site…that finally helped sink in some of that stuff in my head too…and I’ve been fascinated with bowing since.  But, Candy Girl, if you want to grab strings…maybe it’s called pulsing but I’ve always heard bow-rocking… anyway, it’s the best lesson.  This is fascinating stuff to me!  Thanks for sharing that awesome video lesson!  I love this kinda stuff…she sounded great on that tune…do you kow what it was?   I don’t remember ever hearing it before.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by cricket cricket.
    Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

The tune is “Lazy Kate”.

Crucjer: I love your style of fiddle playing.  When I found the bow pulsing lesson. I slowed down her notes..  It reminded  me of your tunes that you play on BGD.

Maybe you ‘pulse bow’  naturally because of your banjo music . . .  and then the “boom-chucks”  rhythm kicks in.  😊

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

“Lazy Kate”:

MP3s  and sheet music

Old Time Tune for the Month of July 2013: Lazy Kate

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I play Lazy John…lol…but didn’t know about Lazy Kate…thought only the guys got accused of laziness…lol.  uh-oh…now it’s us too! Thanks for the nice words, Nancy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in