Question #4

This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 month ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Great Scott
    Great Scott

Please read this question carefully; and do give it some very serious thought… (your life depends on it!)

This question comes in TWO parts; both parts with an ‘a’ and ‘b’ choice for you to answer.  For Part 1, please just select either ‘Accept’ or ‘Decline’. No explanations are necessary.

Question:

Part 1:

You have been given the chance to live your life all over again.  Would you:

a)  Accept the opportunity

or

b) Decline the opportunity.

Part 2:

Only if you selected option ‘a’, (Accept the opportunity) would you like to:

a) Re-live your life exactly the way it has been?

OR

b) Re-live your life but make a number of changes?

If you chose ‘b’, (re-live but make changes) then what changes would you make to your new life that would make it different to your old life?

Thank you for taking the time to answer this ‘life-changing’ question.  But remember: Always be careful of what you wish for!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  🙂

WARNING: Please carefully read ‘The Fine Print’ and the Terms and Conditions below to which you agree and are bound by if you answer this question and select ‘A’ — your acceptance to live your life over again with changes.

By accepting to live your life over again with changes, you are agreeing to the following:

— That you will begin your new life from the very moment of birth without any knowledge or memories of your current life.

— That you will have a different set of parents, different circumstances surrounding your upbringing, a completely different internal (family) and (external) community / social environment and a different social status and education. You may even have a different gender.  You will be a product of your environment; but especially, you will be a product of the choices you make in your new life.

Your signature to this agreement is your answer to this question; and will be stored in the catacombs of time for all eternity.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That last sentence is kinda scary.  Part 1…I would accept.  Part 2…I would have made changes too numerous to enumerate here…one of which would have been to begin building my own instruments at about the age of three…another, I would never have given up jogging…lol…I feel like it’d crush all my bones if I tried to take it up again by now, but maybe some of these days I’ll try it again…been a long time…I woulda learned cello, fiddle, banjo, and probably put off messin’ with guitar until I was all grown up. I would’ve finished War and Peace…in Russian.  Anyway…in spite of all of the changes I can put into my shoulda-woulda-coulda category…I’m pretty content with the way things turned out…so far! Yet, if I could do it again I would try to do it better than I did the first time around.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

This is a tough one, GS… Like Cricket, there are some things I would like to change / should change right now. Exercise more, get more sleep, etc. There are lots of small things I would change if I could do it over, like choosing a different bathroom sink. I’ll just stick to some of the bigger things though. 🙂

1) Yes, I would agree to live my life over, but not until I get to the end of this one first!

2) I would save and invest more as a young person. I would focus more on starting a business than getting an education. I would marry sooner instead of several years of dating and being engaged. I would pass on getting a PhD and instead spend more time with my young children. I would spend more time fostering relationships and less time being a perfectionist.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Oh what a fairy tale , If wishes where fishes we’d all have a fry !

Part 1:
    a) Accept the opportunity

[Part 2 B ] ” Re-live My life but make a number of changes “. OK if starting over, as in going back in time , And knowing what I know now , I would change everything , Finish high school instead of a GED , Investing in Walmart in 1968 right out of high school , Choosing a life partner  compatible with who I am so we would both pull in the same direction and our wont’s and needs would be the same ! Family would always be first, front and center ,

I would live my life Knowing , In the book of life , every moment of every day’s recorded , and It can’t be undone , Yes everything would be different ! ” End game being a better person” THE END !

Angela
    Participant

B.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Part 1: B

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gee Whiz…looks like none of us did it quite right the first time around…lol.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

A and B   I would relive my life to enjoy it all over again but I would not make any changes.  There are things that I imagine I would do differently, but I am a big fan of Star Trek, especially the episodes that deal with time travel and time lines. So many little decisions that we make can impact the rest of our lives. Provided that all members swear an oath to secrecy  . . . .I will share a little known fact about me. . . .I studied martial arts for 20 plus years and have a 3rd degree black belt . . . . A slight pause for all the gasps.  . . . . Most of my friends know this about me,  but I get tired of people wanting to punch at you and then  having to kill them. BIG LOL   But the point of this is that had I not taken karate class, I would not have met my husband. So I probably would have married someone else and had a completely different life with different friends and in-laws and even a different child.  I completely believe in the providence of God, though it mostly can’t be understood until you are at a point where you can look back and see how it worked out. There are things I would like to have done  better, so I am going to try and apply what I would have changed to changing it going forward.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Interesting, Fran.  I promise I won’t try to punch you.  I took some karate when I was in my 40s…my daughter took it in college and dragged me along with her…I very reluctantly got in there with a buncha 20 year olds and took my first lessons…I had free tuition because I worked at the university there…but the teacher liked us and wanted us to start coming to his dojo…for free…he was really into Chinese Chi Qong, karate, and that stuff…we started going there for free and once when I finally struggled my way to green belt status (reluctantly and with great suffering I might add…lol), we green belts were lined up and instructed to repeatedly punch the daylights out of the stomachs of black belts.  The instructor walked behind us screaming at us to punch harder, etc.  LOL…weird stuff…the black belt I was punching was the county coroner…my punches only mildly annoyed him…he walked away with my blood all over his gee, and I walked away with my knuckles a swollen, bloody mess.  The instructor asked me how I would defend myself like that…I said I’d just have to load up the gun and forget the karate…lol…I’m no good.  Anyway…I did enjoy the Chi Qong better…it was hard, but I liked it ok.

I guess I was always taught whatever life throws at us is God’s plan that we aren’t allowed to understand or know about…I never liked the idea, but was always taught it and it always kinda reminded me of the Wizard of Oz…how Dorothy could have the power to get back home right there on her feet, but wasn’t priveledge to have that information.  I’m not sure what I think about that kinda stuff at this point…I think I’m feeling less like there is some plan, and more like it’s all our own doing and our own responsibility.  I guess I could say I’ve been unhappy with the poverty we endured, the losses, etc.  But we are holding our own and helping others at the moment, so I guess we have all we need, except for musical instruments.  I could use more of those but very happy to have what I’ve got.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fran! I’m glad I decided not to throw that punch the last time we met, lol. And Cricket, that sounds like an intense class. I’ve never had any martial arts training, but I did spend a lot of time practicing the Karate Kid one-legged kick, haha.

I believe the decisions we make and the paths we take are of our own choosing, but that God has woven those choices into a wonderful tapestry that we call a plan. We will never know the potential consequences of the smallest of our decisions, but God has accounted for each. One of the benefits of being infinite and omnicient, I guess. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m glad you added that “I guess” at the end of that…lol.  These are mysteries we live with…I guess too…lol.  But one thing for certain…do not ever throw a punch at Fran!

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

lol.  Please forget the karate kid one legged kick. It is a really stupid move that only works in movies. haha  Cricket that sounds like a really good class.  I had a tough instructor and have been on the receiving end of several punches, but not to the extent of blood. I have even once actually used my knowledge for self-defense when someone broke into my mom’s house, but that is a REALLY long story.  Karate is a great self-confidence builder.

I agree with John that we make our own decisions but God ultimately knows what we will do and somehow works it all out. And  I think there are many things we do that we may never know  the impact it may have. I remember taking violin lessons and the teacher informing me about recitals, which I was not real thrilled about. And since all my teachers student were mostly 12 and under, me being over 50, I really stood out. lol But I am at a point where I don’t really worry about what others think, I just do what makes me happy. But one of the other students mother came to me after a recital and said her daughter was scared to go up and play, but after she saw me be brave and play, she decided she could as well. And happiness comes from being happy with what you have. I have had months where sandwiches were great meals and we stayed home to save gas to get to work. But if I am always looking and envious of what others have I won’t be content with what I have. The more money one makes. the more things one wants and the more one spends. Don’t get me wrong, I have a list of “wants” , but I always try to keep my eyes on what I have.  Life is a very complicated matter.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Glad to hear your karate worked out for you in a bad situation.  I’m figuring the way I couldn’t seem to learn it, I’m hoping my ability to talk myself out of any situation would help me with a criminal or bad guy…lol.  I had a friend who went up to the city and someone mugged him at gunpoint…he told the guy, for heaven’s sake let’s go sit over there in the shade and discuss this calmly…so they sat on a bench and my friend showed the guy his checkbook, which shocked the bad guy…he apologized, thinking my friend had everything he needed.  They talked for a couple of hours and my friend ended up writing him a small check to help him get through, etc.  I always thought if it could work out something like that…it might be ok.  Otherwise, well, I’m a good shot with almost any kind of gun…not these big high powered crazy things they have today, but the old revolvers and rifles I’ve had with me since I was a kid…I mean, I never thought about using them on people…but…who knows what you’d do if you had to?  My grandpa once chased down a guy with my grandmother’s purse and beat the daylights outta him thanks to his brass knuckles he always had in his pocket…my grandpa stood about 4’8” and probably weighed under 100 lbs…so…the brass knuckles did wonders and got the purse back intact.  But I can’t fight and just don’t want to anyhow…lol…I’m like…hey, if you want anything of mine, I’ll make life easy for both of us and just give it away.  except not my instruments…I’d have to fight for those…waited too long for them, myself. I do think looking at the outside world is what spiraled into our current culture of spending and trying to have stuff millionaires have and feel like that whole class of people.   People used to be content with a calm and productive life, but the outside world of want and spending, haves and have nots, living life among the jet-set, or pretending you are, etc., encroached on regular contented people and now everybody’s struggling and uptight about who’s got what and what they got left out of…lol.  My opinion, of course, can and often is wrong.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I can remember when redneck guys used to go out on Saturday looking for a fight I am glad those days are gone , in the 50s through 1970 people did not even get in trouble for beating someone and drinking and driving was not that big a deal back then either , But things have changed now you get the police to do the beatings and shooting for you , However without Law and order it would be total back to the wild west where Smith and Wesson made man equal .

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Steve, I also appreciate law and order! I’m also glad we live in a place where civility flourishes. There are still plenty of places on this planet where it’s still the “wild west” and worse.

Cricket said, “My opinion, of course, can and often is wrong.” Cricket, mine too!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yours too?  Oh gosh, well, no wonder we all would like a second time around to get things right…lol.  I can’t help but wonder how well we could do if we started all over, knowing what we all know by now.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

That’s true John lots of Gangs and Militant’s  the world over .

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thank you every one for taking a shot at answering this question. There are some rather interesting responses. (big smile).

How wise were the people who declined the offer to live their lives over again.  Bravo!!!!!

To those who selected ‘A’ — to live their life over again with changes:

Tisk, tisk, tisk!! If you were wise enough to read the fine print at the end of the question (which you obviously didn’t do because you were unsatisfied and unappreciative of what you have in this life) you will have been well aware that if you chose ‘A’ (accept the opportunity to live your life over again) that you will be starting your new life from scratch. You will have no recollection whatsoever of your current life — no memories of anything — so you will not be able to live your new life with the knowledge that you gained in this life. You will, in fact, be going right back to the day that you are born into your new life.  It also means that you will have a different set of parents, different circumstances surrounding your upbringing, a completely different internal (family) and external community / social environment.

O, and did you not read the fine print that also states that once you have answered this question and chosen ‘A’ (to live your life over again), that you have set the wheels in motion. The clock has begun its countdown, and the pendulum has begun to swing.  Nothing can stop it. The moment your current life is extinguished, Day # 1 of your new life will begin automatically.  HAVE FUN!!!!!   🙂   🙂   🙂   🙂

I strongly suggest that you go back to the question and read the fine print and see what you have gotten yourselves into.  Remember; I did warn you all to be careful what you wish for!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Its ok Cricket I put a big [ if ] in mine and had my fingers crossed behind my back when I wrote it !

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

John wrote:

” I’m also glad we live in a place where civility flourishes.”

Yes, I am glad of that too John.  Here is an example of that flourishing  civility.

VIEWER WARNING: The following video contains some harsh language.  TURN SOUND OFF if you wish to view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJR89DBzzVQ

Great Scott
    Great Scott

I’m sorry, Steve, but crossing your fingers behind your back; and using the ‘if’ word, means absolutely zero in the scheme of things.  You are bound by your agreement.

But… and it’s a big ‘BUT’ … if you were to drag a dead cat in a hessian sack 200 paces along an unlit winding dirt road during a Winter’s night with a temperature of exactly 43.7 degrees and then bury it on its back in the graveyard with its head facing south on a full moon at midnight, then you just might be lucky enough to escape your new life…however — and this is the important part —

… I DONT’ THINK SO!!!!!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think they did all that stuff to the cat in Huckleberry Finn, but it didn’t work.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Noooooooo Great Scott! I should have read the fine print! I just wanted to live this life again and enjoy it more, not start a new one! OK I’m definitely doing the dead cat trick to get out of this bad deal. Wish me luck!

And thanks for the video showing how much more civil we’ve become in the last 500 years. No one got speared or burned at the stake — YAY humans!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

GS wrote:

“But… and it’s a big ‘BUT’ … if you were to drag a dead cat in a hessian sack 200 paces along an unlit winding dirt road during a Winter’s night with a temperature of exactly 43.7 degrees and then bury it on its back in the graveyard with its head facing south on a full moon at midnight, then you just might be lucky enough to escape your new life…however — and this is the important part —… I DON’T THINK SO!!!!!!”

Of course it doesn’t work, Cricket. It is never meant to.  They only buried the cat.  My teaser to Steve was not just this but the other specific things that he could try in order to break his bond.    🙂

Great Scott
    Great Scott

John, I really feel your pain; I really do.  I know, I know.  You’ve been rather upset since realizing what you got yourself into.  I know, I know…you didn’t want to start a new life.  You only wanted to live this life again but enjoy it more.  Now, now, please don’t get upset.  You know how much I hate to see you hurting like this.  However, you made a bed for yourself and now you are destined to lay in it — that bed being your desire of wanting to live your life over again with changes. And it’s no use trying to weasel out of it by doing the dead cat thing.  That kind of stuff is nothing but hocus pocus that you read about or see in movies.  Like I told Steve, he can try the dead cat thing to break his bond; but when I said “I DON’T THINK SO!”  well, that pretty much sumed up the fact that it ain’t gonna work!

Why, O why are humans so discontent with what they have and are always wishing for something else?  Have you all not learned by now that the grass is always the greenest under your own feet?  But let us dispense with unwelcome philosophies for now and face the harsh reality of your decision; and the fact that you need to pay the ferryman.  Moments before your expiration, you will see everything whirling around you; and you will hear the sound of a clock spring unwinding; and then, just seconds before you take your last breath, you will hear the twelve strokes of the clock as your current life comes to a close.  At the twelfth stroke of the clock, everything will fall silent.  And then the clock will begin ticking again as your new life begins.  Please don’t be upset! It distresses me to see you so. It really is quite painless (he says in an evil condescending manner). And I will be there with you every step of the way.  Did you not know that I am the ferryman!    🙂

John Cockman
    Keymaster

May I come back as a firefly?

The grass is always the greenest under your own feet.

I love that quote! I plan to use it often.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Well, John!  Considering the fact that you are rather adept at lighting the way for others; and that your greatest desire in life is that you always wanted to fly; I suppose your wanting to come back as a Firefly is probably rather  fitting.  I gather you want to be of the Photinus Carolinus variety?… just so you can stay close to home and have the fam come visit you.  Was it your recent stroll from your house to the glen to watch all the Fireflies that prompted you to choose  a Firefly as your reincarnation?

I am sure you will make a charming Firefly!  However, do be warned that as a Firefly, your life will be rather brief. With only three weeks of life, you won’t have much time for fiddling.  And you might even be caught by a curious little girl or boy and put into a glass jar for their amusement.  Or even worse, you could become super for some ugly fat Toad or be din-dins for a big hairy spider.

Can I persuade you to perhaps consider becoming something cute, like a Lemur, or something even cuter, like a Mute Swan (my favorite), if you really want to fly?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Yes, the Photinus Carolinus! The ones with great rhythm who are lighting up the dive down the road on a regular basis. And in only three weeks, I’ll be back into the afterlife!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in