Question About Making Yogurt

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Question About Making Yogurt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Hey John! I wanted to ask you about your easy way of making yogurt. I am just not sure about a few things, so I thought I should ask you before I attempt making our first batch.

– Will this work using skim milk?
    You say to add some powdered milk if we want it to be a little thicker, so could we make it by using skim milk and then adding some full cream powdered milk to it after it has come off the stove?

– Once we have made the first jar of yogurt using your method, can we then take some of that yogurt we made and make our second jar and then take some of the second jar to make the third jar and so on? What I mean is: Can part of each batch be kept to duplicate subsequent batches, or is there a cut -off point where we have to resort to buying some store -bought yogurt in order to start the process all over again?

– Does heating the yogurt to 110 degrees destroy any of the “good” live cultures? —- so that in effect, we are just eating a yogurt that has no beneficial bacteria in it, or does the good bacteria survive the heat and multiply inside every subsequent batch?

– … If they do not get destroyed, then are these “good” live cultures “watered down” through making subsequent batches of yogurt by using the yogurt from our first jar to start the next batch, and so on.

With all these questions, I bet you are now regretting that you ever decided to show us how to make simple yogurt! LOL I’m just a curious puppy! 🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Haha Scott you’re such a stalker 🙂 I’m no chemist, but I do like to eat yogurt. If you get it too warm, you are killing your culture, but 110 should be OK. I wouldn’t recommend skim milk unless you like to drink your yogurt. You can reuse your yogurt, but I refresh it every month or so. I don’t scald my milk, so other stuff begins to proliferate, and eventually the yogurt gets a bit tangy so I start over.

Great ScottGreat Scott

LOL! …. Yes, but I’m a friendly stalker! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.