Quiz number three…

This topic contains 32 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 month ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I’m having fun playing my little game I invented, er, possibly stole from that show I never watch on TV…anyway, I’m not calling it Old Time Quiz anymore because I’m trying to expand my horizons here…I can’t think up more fiddler’s trivial pursuit questions, so someobdy’s gonna have to jump in here if my game is to continue on.  I got one more, though…maybe, once again, it’s too easy…someobdy else needs to join in with harder questions.

Here’s my question number three… there is a Jean Ritchie song called, The L & N Don’t Stop Here Anymore.  I don’t wanna write all the words…I did make a youtube of this…I think it was my second or third time using my Presonus recording studio…but rather than write out the words or link any youtubes, I’ll just say there is one line that goes like this: “I used to think my daddy was a Black man, with scrip enough to buy the company store…”  Ok…so…what is scrip?

Too easy?  Jump in and help me keep my little entertainment going here…lol…give me a hard question.

Angela
    Participant

Great song. Sad song. I heard yours and you did a great job with it.

So in line with “I owe my soul to the company store,” scrip is how coal miners were paid. But the pay was usually only good in the company store. Which created quite a conflict of interest.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Aw, man, you’re good!  Yep…scrip was used in the coal mining camps…out in the middle of nowhere, they’d be digging out a seam and hiring everybody off the farm or wherever to dig the coal…the coal camps usually had good stores, movie theaters, dance halls, restaurants, all the fun stuff.  But…your scrip was good only there…you couldn’t own anything in this world, because your coal camp house belonged to them, and they would finish getting all that coal outta there in a few years, then…close up, leave.  No more anything there…it was impossible to save money, because you had no money, only their scrip.  They had your every need in the world…you paid their prices with their scrip…and you did owe your soul to the company store.  once the coal was out…you had a bad back, bad lungs, and dead broke with nothing in your future but sad folk songs.  Ok…I can’t think…somebody come up with a good question and humor me…I’m having fun…lol.

Angela
    Participant

Look up the lyrics to “You’ll Never Leave Harlan Alive” and “Muhlenburg County.”

well this may be WAY too easy. Shove the pig’s foot a little farther in the fire. What’s a pigs foot?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Angela! Good question.  I have read about it on youtube before, but I’m thinking that disqualifies me…from the start.  Anybody else know?  If nobody answers soon enough I’ll chime in with what I read.  If I hadn’t read it, I’d have no idea whatsoever, because if you were roasting a pig on a fire, it wouldn’t make sense that you’d be shoving the pig’s foot into the fire, because…well the pig would probably be on a spit and I can’t imagine any scenario where you’d have to shove the foot into the fire…lol.  Anyway…I’m leaving it open and see if people know.  It’s a cool tune…I think maybe we should link the tunes as necessary…what chall think?   I’ve got three people playing my game…lol.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Shove the Pig’s Foot…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Pig’s Foot is actually quiz number four.  Guys…I’m having fun playing my silly little game.  If we do ask about tunes, think up crazy stuff that only some people might get, link the tune, etc., it’d be a great way to learn more tunes.  Any kind of tunes.  But no fair looking it up after somebody asks…if you already had read about it or knew, that’s ok.  This is my music game I just made up because I’m crazy and obssessed with music…lol.  please play along. Answer questions, right or wrong, put up a link…ASK your own quiz questions…etc.  If I had a million dollars I’d give out prizes, but, well I don’t, so you just get the satisfaction of having the answers.  Sometimes the answers might be mushy, like the hoe cake scenario…in which the answer might depend on your own locality, etc.  Therefore, no one ends up getting the million dollars…except as I’ve said, no one gets it anyway.  Please feel free to play along.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Ok I will bite , it is a fire place poker with a hook or L shape so you can pull or push burning wood/coals around .

Number five what is the difference between hogs head cheese and Souse ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think you got it, Steve.  From what i’ve read they call it a blacksmith tool, but sounds like some kinda specialized poker, basically.  As to your question…hmmm.  I’m not permitted to look it up, according to the rules … so…I don’t know, but i’m guessing souse is, doesn’t it look like a block of something?  I don’t know what’s in it.  brains and fat and stuff, maybe.  Head cheese… well I don’t know how it’s different…wah, wah, wah…the WRONG ANSWER horn just blew…I don’t know and I think my attempt to guess was pathetic…lol.  You got me!  Is there a song that sings something about this stuff?  IF so, we should link…if not…well…we’re veering away, but that’s ok…I’m ok with veering here and there.  Anybody else know this answer?  I know pigs feet taste better pickled…but that ain’t the question…it’s more like a conglomeration of the other two questions…so…ok…I give up.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I am sorry Cricket I forgot it had to be about a song I was just thinking pig Ha! The answer is The difference is souse is a pickled loaf /block using vinegar , Hogs head cheese has no vinegar , My dad used to make the pickled pigs feet and hogs head cheese , and Souse you put the mix into a loaf pan or whatever and let it gel together then slice and make sandwiches , Souse is pickled and taste kind of like pickled pigs feet but in a block or loaf . If I remember right you cook up the meat and tongue he never used the eyes or brains for it you just try to get all the meat off the head there may have been some of the pig skin in it Spices it up to taste salt, black pepper, gelatin and what ever else He may have used some nutmeg pepper corns and whatever boil it all up then course grind it put it in a loaf pan lined with tin foil or cheese cloth so you can get it out of the pan after it is chilled and gelled together

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Hogs head cheese , and souse may have been the beginning of lunch meat ? I don’t know this to be a fact ,  Just something that crossed my mind ! This is not a contest question

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Steve…it actually sounds pretty good.  Especially if you leave out the brains…lol.  I ain’t into eating brains or eyes or lots of other weird stuff either. Don’t worry about the topic…you’re right…we kinda naturally veered off into pigs so it counts as part of this quiz, not the next…it’s ok.  Our doggie Cricket loves anything pork…so, she’d love these things you’re speaking of.  She goes nuts over pork.  The other two…the twin little things prefer chicken.  Now we gotta talk chickens here…plenty of chickeny fiddle tunes.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Our language in the hills was taken over with idiom type expressions, that became standards for stereotyping someones actions. For a long time I’ve been trying to get time to record “I didn’t know the gun was loaded”.  Hardly a day would go by without someone belting this out when anyone did most anything really stupid, and it was great because it could be sung out at the top of your voice for the whole holler to hear.  ‘Maybe it’s the carburator’ is another one.  The mechanics of a car was like some psychic mystery to most people, and when ever someone had car trouble, invariable someone would pronounce a cure with, “Maybe it’s the carburator!”  So that became an idiom type response to everything.  If the bread didn’t rise, someone would sarcastically lean over it and pronounce, “Maybe it’s the carburator!”  I’ll never forget a priceless scene one day when I was with a carload of about six men and we were dead in the water along side the road one day out in the mountains.  Everyone of us had our head bent under the hood intently starring at the motor.  This old Granny came walking by and took a brief glance and in a high, squeaky Granny voice solved the mystery with, “Maybe it’s the carburator!”

This pigs foot expression is special because it not only became part of the language, but it got a great fiddle tune written for it.  My best guess is that it was used when someone spoke up about something they knew absolutely nothing about (like I’m doing right now).  The way it came into use was from when guys hung out around the forge (There was one everywhere) and the art of tempering iron was much more of an art than a science to mountain folk.  So naturally everyone had an opinion of when the pig iron was hot enough to process, (It was handled with a pig’s foot) but only the dumbest one there would freely express his stupidity by making a suggestion.  So that became an idiom to be, not so tactfully used, when you wanted to imply that what someone just said was really, really stupid.

So Fred, as far as the problem you’re having with your fiddle falling apart the way it is:….  ‘Maybe it’s the carburator’?.  When you read that you’re going to say, ‘Shove that pigs foot a little farther in the fire’.  I just hope when you see your luthier you won’t have to sing, ‘I didn’t know the gun was loaded!’

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thanks, Rodger. I really enjoyed your post.

With regard to my luthier, to make a long story short, I’m letting him off the hook rather than making matters worse and get all bent out of shape. Your guess is as good as mine on what’s the matter. I guess we’ll have to cross that bridge when we come to it. I hope he hasn’t bitten off more than he can chew, because his actions speak louder than his words. I might be barking up the wrong tree and comparing apples to oranges, but I don’t want to cry over spilled milk or count my chickens before they’ve hatched.

Besides, every cloud has a silver lining and good things come to those who wait. lol

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I wonder if you were playing that fiddle at ‘break neck speed’?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You guys aren’t reading from a script are you?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Next question: What the heck is a “Wheel Hoss?”

Angela
    Participant

Ok.  I’m guessing.  A horse that pulled the grinding wheel?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Angela beat me to that…the horse pulling the wheel that crushes the sorghum cane, I’d guess.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

…or else a motorcycle…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Ok you got me I am not sure , So what is a wheel Hoss ? Ricky Skaggs Wheel Hoss ain’t no Hoss or plow can move that fast , Whatever it is it has to move more than 250 beats per minute ! whaaaaaa! haaaaaa!

Angela
    Participant

OK…I did research…

What I found…the horse in the team closest to the wagon (so…closest to the wheels)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That makes sense!  Now we know!  Always good to know this stuff if you’re out playing…people might ask…lol.

Angela
    Participant

I found it on the internet. And you know what Abe Lincoln said Bout the internet. “You can’t trust everything you read on it”

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah, but look how it all ended for him!  ugh…that was a tasteless joke.  There is that fiddle tune, ya know…Boothe shot Lincoln.  Maybe JW Boothe thought you could trust everything on the net…lol.  I must need coffee…I’m in silly mode.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Hard to believe everyone has been out of touch with harness horses so long no one really knew this one.  I thought John was joking to ask.  You guys probably don’t know what a double tree, single tree, or even blinders are?  Humm, have we gone that far into the future already?  I did have a team, for a while.  We still have a lot of teams in our area up here.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We never had a horse.  I don’t know much about them except they get sick if they don’t have the best hay.  I know gee haw…though…lol. Our friends had a little pony wander in and they used him to pull logs down the hill for a piece of peppermint candy…helped make it easier to get their firewood in.  They never did find out where he came from.  Just a free little pony dropped down from the sky.  That’s my knowledge.  I did wonder if Wheel Hoss might actually be a motorcycle, though. People in this area here are big on horses, though, but they’re all rich.  I guess the ones without the money have goats, who can eat the bad ol’ moldy hay.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

One of my favorites by the Osborne Brothers… Just for you, Rodger!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

A great song about the past , that’s gone .

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, …thanks John…Fadin fast away!!  Uh Oh…well, we hit a mule on the road (in the dark) in Kentucky once.  All I saw was his head appear right in front of the winshield.  He had to go the glue factory after that.  He sure faded fast away.  I don’t know…is there a glue factory for us when we get done fadin away?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That mule glue mighta held your fiddle together, Rodger!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

That could explain why it’s so ornry. Oh well, I’m off to fiddle camp tomorrow.  So I’ll have to postpone any further fadin until that’s over.  Then I can get back to some more fadin now that I know that’s what I’m supposed to be doing ..

(I wonder if that’s why folks get cremated..so they can’t get sent to the glue factory?)

Well now Cricket, you really hit something…I wonder if a person could donate their carcass to be made into glue for fiddles to be made with?  Question is though, would anyone want a fiddle made out of that glue?  I guess we could start a recycle thread where folks could make that donation here on the forum?  I can see it now….

John Cockman
    Keymaster

He made a fine glue out of her fair hide, oh, the wind and rain…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in