Redeemed

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by rodger rodger 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Angela
    Participant

At a jam last week they were playing lots of hymns in e flat. The players were complaining and the guy that was starting them said almost all the songs at gospel jams are in e flat.  Is this true?

so then I was listening to this song which is a hymn and it’s in e flat. But it’s beautiful and would make for a great BGD lesson sometime. 😉

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

E-flat?  Ouch.  I never heard that…but…could be the painful truth…lol.  It’s a beautiful link.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Are people singing along at these jams Angela?  If so, I can see some logic in that since it would keep the music closer to the average voice range.  I never seen a “Gospel Jam”, but I’d guess the protocol would be a regional thing.  An awful lot of hymns are written in Eb, and Ab and to transpose them would be to put them out of voice range or too low.  A hundred years ago, evidently the average persons voice was somewhat higher than now.  If you look at the old song books from back in the 1800’s a large number of hymns were published in A major, E major, etc.  But in the 1900’s there was a major shift to lower them to Eb etc.  (At least or especially in Methodism)  We all know during that time the average physical height of North American’s increased, and coinciding with that, (evidently) longer vocal cords produce lower notes.

Also, it’s nice to learn a song in the key it is normally published with in the hymn book…otherwise you have no idea what key you may be called upon to play it in.  —Just my ramblings on it all—

Chubby Wise played the Old Rugged Cross in Bb, I guess it just doesn’t sound quite the same transposed…

Joe
    Participant

Nice Angela. Beautiful song.

Angela
    Participant

That’s interesting info, Roger.  Yes, these are sing-along jams.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Few of us are equal vocally . I believe a person should sing and play in the key that fits their voice . I play every month with a group where all sit in a large circle using folding chairs , We each take a turn clock wise the oldest person there starts first , Each says what they are going to sing or play and in what key everyone else plays along if they can . We share one mic with a flex on a stand that we pass on around the circle . It can mic the instrument or singer we don’t use any other amps , its just a acoustic get together . We start at 6 o’clock pm and usually play no later than ten we have coffee and folks bring sweets. There’s one person that plays B flat that’s the only time I use the capo . LOL

Robin123
    Participant

That sounds like a nice get together Steve.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

There is a violin Capo on the internet .

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Robin123 it is a fun get together its been going on for a long time I am not sure when it was started, I have know about it for over 20 years . I now have my own curiosity up I think I will find out when and who started it . Its always been the last Saturday of every month . I think every community should have something like it going on . Its held in a old community building that used to be a one room community building, school and church . I think they stopped using it for school in the 1950s its way out in the boonies about 15 miles from town . Its about 7 miles of dirt road for me .

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Steve, you are fortunate to have a good jam nearby! We do have gospel jams around here, but they are mostly informal. However, here in the bible belt, gospel is always a big part of any jam.

Angela, that song is an excellent study in playing chords in Eb. I will try to get it tabbed.

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

E b ! Oh my ! Sounds more like a key for saxophones ! Just kidding . E b is a fun one to  get used to . I’ll try using the pull off open D for fun and practice , over on this end of the globe , I was recently asked by the new pastor from Africa to play along gospel and hymns this year coming , and with a children’s choir too . Better get started practicing those funny keys 😀

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Great point Gu…unfortunately for fiddlers that’s true…but they’re not really that funny…more like tears…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in