Remembering 9/11

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Great Scott
    Great Scott

In memory of all those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 and those who have died since as a result of cancer and respiratory diseases.  We will never forget you.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Changed our country forever.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Sure did, Cricket!  Changed the world!  I’m lovin’ the patriotism here.  Seems many have forgotten or simply don’t care.  Sad!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hard to believe it’s been 17 years ago now.  I especially admire the ones who fought to the death to keep the plane over Pennsylvania from getting to Washington…or, we could be looking at a different White House by this point.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Yep!  Sure is hard to believe it was 17 years ago.  Seems like only a year or two.  It is so difficult to even try to imagine the horror that faced the victims of the attacks on the towers; as well as those who were in the hijacked planes. Being trapped in a towering building that is on fire and being demolished; and then realizing that you have limited options for survival would be a scenario that I would NEVER want to face.  To me, everyone who died during those terrible un-Godly attacks,  alongside those brave men and women who tried to save them, are, and will always be the heroes of that tragic day.

I do a reasonable amount of flying, and although the security is pretty rigorous at airports these days, when I am finally on the plane, I still always think of the worst, in the way of a hijacker(s) who might have gotten through security and onto the plane.  I don’t think I am alone on this.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I think the whole country has gotta have somewhat of a PTSD associated with this.  It is horrifying…it was a horrific attack on innocent civilians…just sitting ducks.  The first responders who lived still suffer health problems from their heroic efforts.  Can’t ever let a thing like that happen again.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Beautiful. Enya is one of my favorites.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

9/11 involves one of the strangest stories that ever happened back home.  More than 30 years before, in about 1968 or 9, I was gone from home, and my oldest brother got a call from Mom saying he needed to get over right away, that something was wrong with Dad.  My brother found Dad in terrible condition of trauma, shut up in a dark room covered all over.  When Blaine got him to talk he said he saw these two big tower like buildings and they were on fire with a huge cloud of black smoke and they were falling down and up in the smoke was the face of the devil.  It was the face of the devil that carried the paralysing fear and horrible foreboding that he was out to destroy us in what was going on.  30 years later, when this actually happened Blaine knew then what it was Dad saw and why it affected him like it did.   I had a phone conversation with Blaine a moth or so ago and he was recalling that, as he remembers it vividly.  This type of strange vision was typical of something that happened through the ages with our people in the hills.  When my granddads father died in the coal mines, my grandmother knew exactly what happened without anyone telling her.

I was at Ft. McPherson, in the Northwest Territories on 9/11 in 2001.  A RCMP (policeman) came to the door and told me he was grounding our Cessna 182…I couldn’t fly anyone until he said so.  And then the paranoia took over in the aviation world and a control center in Colorado tracks every, even small aircraft, on every flight in the Arctic air defense operational zone.  I never had a fighter on my tail, but I have had Colorado screaming at flight service over where was I for a few minutes, and why didn’t they know.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…pretty weird story. My daughter was telling me they had watched a tv show that had a similar attack as 9-11 a few months before it really happened.  ONe report I heard shortly after the 9-11 attack waas a reporter telling that there is some big nuclear energy plant about a mile away from the towers, there in NYC, and that if Al Qaeda had been smart, they coulda gone for that plant and knocked out the whole East Coast of the U.S., which was horrifying to hear, I mean, even more horrifying than the ordeal as it happened.  I guess there’s something to be grateful for.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I’m sure that’s true, but in their twisted minds they were looking for something symbolic.  They were taking out the symbol of world trade etc.  But also, the Arab nations that supported, trained, and controlled them knew their country could be destroyed by the U.S. if they did something that would be a virtual declaration of war.  So this way, those countries got everything they wanted.  The US didn’t treat it like a declaration of war.  I thought from the beginning that the US should have retaliated against the nations behind it so no one would ever think of doing such a thing again.  Instead, we crawled in a cave and have been hiding behind metal detectors ever since.

Probably the reason we didn’t retaliate was fear over shutting down middle east oil.  I remember back in about 1973? when Nixon gave his speech outlining his 10 year plan for total energy independence.  I was driving down hwy 18 in South Dakota, and even though I was so young & stupid, I realized the significance of his plan.  I’ve always believed that was the reason the (deep state) got rid of Nixon.  If he had been able to stay in and achieve energy independence everything would be different today.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I always said (to the local rocks, trees, birds, and handful of family…lol) that if I woulda been president when that happened, I woulda called an emergency conference of scientists from our own country and our allies, charging them with quick engineering of alternate energy that could be switched given our current stuff to work with…i.e., (I know a guy in Louisville who can change a current car into electric, but it’s so expensive he doesn’t get much business and these days probably none, because you can buy electric cars now days) convert oil-dependent vehicles and machinery to electric.  At the same time, increase solar capacity and get busy putting up factories where people need work…kinda like the 3-C days…put people out there installing solar panels and stuff and just cut the gravy train off the of the oil countries.  The only way they got rich was because we want their oil.  The main reason for war and terrorism is because of everybody wanting their oil.  Get out of the energy stranglehold.  That’s how I would’ve handled it, but they didn’t elect me, so we had to fight a globally scattered conglomeration terrorists here and there instead, which turned into a mess.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Don’t feel too bad…they didn’t elect me either…!

(Just to interpret for those readers who don’t speak mountain lingo…one of the most frequent conclusions to a discussion on curing the worlds ills, is to declare ‘They didn’t elect me, so….’  (one of Mom’s favorite expressions) which basically means I warsh my hands of the guilt and the world must go on and suffer for rejecting my leadership!    (I usually don’t bother to interpret for the benefit of others Cricket, but who knows….there may be some outsiders that want to learn our language?)  (or not)

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Wow Rodger, that’s amazing. I have an SDA friend who once told me about Ellen White seeing a vision of the towers burning. It surely was a monumentous event in human history.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in