Rosen

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello again all,

My fiddle came with rock hard black rosen and I am wondering if it is the best thing to use for a beginner. I have done some research and understand that there is light and dark. What do you recommend for this newbie?

Thanks in advance!

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

There are so many rosins , light rosin is good if you are in a damp/ humid area , dark is better in a dry climate , I like , Andrea A Piacere is soft and less scratchy or Andrea solo is more grabby , both of these are considered dark , not all rosin is equal , fresh rosin is better than old and dried out rosin , I have found that a smaller size of rosin is better because the big size last so long , they dry out , I have full size cakes of rosin that are three years old and are dried out and only was able to use one forth of them !

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Hi Leiah! I experimented a lot with rosin before I found something that I loved the sound of but at the same time was easy to find— I’ve a whole basket full of rosin 🙂
    Personally, I don’t like dark rosin, like Steve said, it’s tougher and more ‘grabby’ but I don’t care for the extra scratchy sounds it makes and I think, for beginner, in my experience, it squeaks more and can be frustrating.
    My personal favorite among the other lighter rosins is D’Addario Kaplan Art-craft rosin which is actually very cheap 🙂 I tried it after having a conversation with the national Scottish fiddle champion about rosin 😀 it has a really smooth pleasant sound and is not unnecessary sticky! Hope that helps!!! 😉

Participant

Thank you Kaeleigh! That scratchy sound is really frustrating me and I had a feeling it was because of the rosin. I will try the D’Addario one you suggested. I really appreciate this group! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.