Rosin on strings

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Robin123

Hi All!

I wipe my strings after each practice with a cotton t-shirt strip. Should I still feel the rosin on the strings after I wipe them? I cleaned them with alcohol 2 weeks so there isn’t a build up of rosin.

The rosin is a light natural that costs $6 if that makes a difference.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I don’t know…I have to wipe mine off on my shirttail maybe every fifth or sixth time I play, but, I don’t rosin every time I play either…I probably only rosin about every fifth or sixth time too.  My guess would be certain strings tend to hold the rosin more and certain rosin tends to stick to the strings more, but hopefully somebody that knows more about it will find the post and give you a better answer.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

After you wipe the strings down Robin, I don’t think you can feel any build up on the strings, especially if you use alcohol.  I have the same issue, in that rosin will cake up on the string and that requires a different touch to play without being scratchy.  Whether it’s good or bad I don’t know, but the fastest way to get the caked on rosin off is to use my fingernail, then wipe it with the cloth.  (Sounds like scratching a chalkboard)  I like playing with clean strings, but I also want to be able to handle the rosin caked strings also, because it’s impossible to always keep the strings clean.  I think it’s true that some rosin won’t cake up as bad as others.  If you can figure out just how much rosin is needed without overdoing it is probably the most important thing to start with.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I think the more sticky the rosin is , and high humidity , the strings start caking rosin building up hard deposits on strings messes with both tuning and the bows ability to vibrate the strings it can also cake and build up on the bow hair causing the same problems , John uses a tooth brush to remove excess rosin from the bow hair and separate the bow hairs that are sticking together , I brush out the bow hair when I am having violin string build up ?  By the way I accidentally spilled some Alcohol on my violin finish and ruined my perfect finish on my top plate so be careful with Alcohol if your using it to clean the strings , that’s how I messed up my violin finish it melted a spot of shellac the size of a quarter in just a few seconds .

Robin123

Thanks Everyone.

I usually do rosin before each practice. I’ll back off on that. I’ll also brush the bow hairs periodically.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Steve, sorry to hear about the rosin mishap.

Robin, I rosin every three or four practice sessions. Like steve said, I recommend a regular brushing of the bow, maybe once a month, to prevent buildup. Especially in hot climates, too much rosin can fuse on the bow and become “glassy.” When that happens, the only way to salvage the hair is to dissolve the stuff in alcohol.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Below is an interesting youtube on how to prevent humidity and temperature from damaging your violin and bow.  Bow hair and rosin build-up is also mentioned.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fantastic, thank you Nancy.

Garyj
    Garyj
    Participant

Just the thread I was looking for, thanks to those who contributed now I know that my strings should not be white! LOL!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Swipe of a shirttail does wonders…lol.

Garyj
    Garyj
    Participant

Thanks Cricket! It’s a little awkward when I’m wearing overalls to use my shirt tail. LOL

What is the best rosin to use?

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Garyj Garyj. Reason: Added question
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I guess you gotta leave one of them side snaps open to grab a little bit of shirt outta there…lol.  Which rosin is open for discussion.  I personally prefer something dark for cold, dry weather, and light for humid weather.  Recently I tried a jade rosin and that’s really smooth, but it tends to build up on my strings more, so I gotta make sure I don’t wear overalls with that one…lol.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Forgot to add, I can’t decid3 if the jade is dark or light…I’ve only had it in winter months, so far.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in