San Antonio Rose

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    RockRock
    Participant

Ha LoL. I lost my heart in San Antonio!

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It is a beautiful city. I spent two days there and loved every minute.

ruckydooruckydoo
    Participant

Just added Rose of San Antonio to my practice list.  Always loved it and just had someone from that town spend a night with us so was inspired.   Enjoy reading these histories of the songs that you add too. Enjoy wandering about in that town too.

The Alamo fascinates me and I may have a family member that fought there too.  Col. Travis and I may share some relatives from the 1700’s but haven’t done extensive research yet but have Ancestry .com on the payroll now to help me on that.

Wasn’t aware of Bob Wills having been a barber.   Thanks for defining “Fine” and “D.S. al Fine.”

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I really enjoyed my one visit to the Alamo. This is incidentally one of my favorite Johnny Cash tunes.

Participant

I just cant figure out the jam tracks on this song… is it just me?

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It’s a tricky one. The tracks are based on the Bob Wills version, so you have to modify the music a bit. Here is the structure:

First, the kick-off begins on the fourth click. The fourth, fifth, and sixth clicks correspond to the three pick-up notes before the first full measure.

Now, the intro: Play measures 1-4, then jump to measures 13-16. This is the introduction, or interlude.

Next there are two verses played back-to-back. The first verse is backed up by the steel guitar, the second verse is backed up by the piano. If you are fiddling and not singing play measures 1-16 twice through.

Next, the chorus. If you are fiddling instead of singing, play measures 17-32, then 1-16.

Next, the fiddle break. This is a verse and a chorus. Play measures 1-32, then 1-16.

Finally sing (or fiddle) the chorus again. This is measures 17-32, then 1-16.

Hope that helps!
    John

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.