Should this be so frustrating?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Should this be so frustrating?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Rock Rock 1 day ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

i finally got together the tunes into a playlist to burn CDs…you know, for Christmas and maybe if we sell soap within an organization,,.maybe see if anybody’d wanna buy them for a couple of dollars, etc…very amateur CDs. Well, I’ve spent all day, just about trying to get itunes to burn this playlist into a CD.  I did it last year about this time…followed my notes, got on the computer and looked it up, erased the playlist about 50 times and created it all I’ve again, putting all the details on each song…etc.  Then, no it wouldn’t add this song or that, wouldn’t put them into the right order, wouldn’t highlight the burn CD command…so I thought to try in Windows media player…wel, to create a playlist it apparently takes line ten minutes per song…this is just stressing me out…so frustrating.  I’m thinking forget it,,.why am I even doing this?  I’m figuring telling people if you want my music go to YouTube…I could’ve recorded two or three songs and gotten up on YouTube with all the time I spent trying to create a playlist and burn it to a CD…forget…it shouldn’t be this frustrating.  I wish I would’ve been recording with that time instead of giving myself a headache with this stuff…it worked last year…so ????? I was gonna make more of last year’s too, but I guess I ain’t gonna make any…I fixed up sloppy stuff I had on YouTube…so…now I guess I gotta remove those and replace them…I got everything in a big mess now…lol.  Oh gosh…I need chocolate!

command…then

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Sorry your having such a hard time

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

We’re all in the same boat Cricket, trying to figure out how to live in this technological age.  My brother was the first person in all our family line, both Mom’s side & Dad’s side, to graduate from school.  Here we are trying to make this stuff work, when the moguls producing it design it to get rich off of us, not caring as much how well it works.  My personal approach philosophy is to steer clear of the popular, for the masses hype stuff like Itunes.   I’ve tried to learn how the simple file structures work on computers and stay with the most simple, basic approach.  So my audio files are in my own folders on my hard drive, and if I wanted to burn a cd, I use the most simple program that will just do what I want it to, for burning I can get and do it myself, and keep my files right here.  The services that have all the hype and want to pull us in and control our content, making us dependent on them…well, I stay away from.  Of course I have to use software & programs, some of which want to exploit me, but the more simple I can keep it and be in control of my content myself, is the way I try to go.  What this does for me is that my list of tunes is not out on some playlist somewhere in the cloud, but in a simple file folder on my hard drive where I know where they are and I can control them.  Maybe simple & stoneage, but it works and that’s what is essential for me.  If I have to send them out into the cloud, fine…I do, but if they get lost or messed up out there I still have them right here in a folder safe & sound to do with as I want.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The only way I know, or knew how to do it is on iTunes.  Apple makes me crazy…so hard to deal with.  I guess I could look up just how to it from the computer itself…it was easy on iTunes the last time…lol…I can’t figure out why things are different now!

Angela
    Participant

The learning curve (or re-learning curve) can be very frustrating. But on the other hand wow you’re cutting your own cd in your own home relatively cheap. So there’s that! Lol

im using Anytune to learn my breaks from masters of fiddling. I was just thinking about how amazing that is.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ll have to look up Any Tune…don’t know about that one.  Yes, it is exciting to make CDs…I mean, I don’t have much to do with the, after I make them, but it’s just the idea…just playing out my lifelong musical day dreams, I guess…lol.  Well I have success this morning…Mike got involved, because I’m such a technical dummy…we got the playlist on Windows media player and got it burned to one CD…took forever, so if I make 20-30 CDs, it’s gonna be a slow process…I’d like to make more of my first one I put together last year too…don’t have any of those left…tortutred a lot of folks for Christmas with that one…lol.  Anyway…we drank coffee and listened to that one over the tv…I don’t understand or know how to work the insane contraption on our tv, but Mike has some fancy speaker thing so he can hear what they’re saying on his sci-fi movies…listened on that…of course I mostly heard a lit of sour notes, terrible timing, clipping, bad mixing, etc., but it’s gonna have to do at this point.  I will take away learning experiences for future recording…the timing is the big thing for me…setting a tempo…I usually like things slow, but putting down my scratch tracks to work from with a ticking metronome is very hard for me to stay in time with…I sometimes rush, then that messes up the rest of the tracks…so…I’m working on getting that process going better and I think I have made improvements…then clipping…I’m gradually learning to keep the recording level down so the harshness and distortion doesn’t occur, while at the same time adjusting the mic levels and my distance from the mic to be heard properly—this is hardest with singing and second hardest with fiddling, but I’m getting there…next, the mix…I find that if there’s a bass line going on the guitars that I like, my tendency is to turn it up, when it’s much more effective left in the subtle background, yet audible…I’m finding when I do a fiddle tune I have the tendency to turn up the fiddle too much…but it needs to stand out yet blend in at the same time…I’ve learned to set my tempo at the beginning slightly faster than I think I want it, because it seems to sound slower once I get going with the tracks…besides that, just play better, etc.  My lessons learned for the next go around!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Little by little, Cricket, all the adjustments are really paying off! You are really sounding fantastic.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, John.  I’ve been sort of a hermit since having such a blast right here at my fingertips with the Presonus.  Yesterday I got to feeling,lonely with the music, thinking I should go back to the big Bluegrass jam around here…although, as everyone has heard, probably, I’m not comfortable in a public place where people tote guns.  That almost makes me unable to focus on anything except feeling very jumpy and nervous.  I got to be sort of a hermit when I started getting the ocular migraines…they say pull off the road, but around here traffic is so bad you wouldn’t be able to get off the road.  But…well I don’t wanna put the hex on myself, but I have been driving here and there a litt bit lately because I haven’t had an ocular migraine since six months ago, so, feeling like my eyes won’t cause me to kill myself and everybody else on the highway…hopefully.  Yet…I don’t know…I found myself with some time before the usual phone calls last night and tried to play through lots of the mp3s here from the stuff I’d worked on back a few years ago…lol…not too bad, but I do need to go through the lessons again…the other time I was practiced up on some of that stuff, the other fiddlers at that jam liked it and were even asking questions.  Especially the Bobby Hicks stuff…which I really need to go back through the lessons again to do.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Cricket, I concur with the lonely, “I need a jam” feeling. I get that way about this time of year, just after fall festival season. It is getting cold, and people aren’t getting together as often. This usually lasts until Thanksgiving, then I get all the music I want until after the New Year. At that point, the lonliness sets in again, but lasts until April! I’m thankful that I have family members who I can jam with. If not for that, I would probably be driving many miles just to get my fix. You should force your husband to accompany you on guitar or bass!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ha…yes once in a while he will play some chords along with me on the guitar, but he complains that I, me, if you can belueve it…go TOO FAST!!!  On the other hand, he says my recordings are way too slow!!! Well yesterday was Presonus day so I decided to do Golden Slippers…lots of singing in that one and I really do love to sing.  Man, did I ever ruin that thing…after all my lessons learned by now on the Presonus, I did my scratch track with the metronome, but the whole dang thing sounds like I’m listening to the metronome…like I start to speed up, hear the metronome behind me and fall back, etc.  This is my problem using metronomes, but I do use one to start out my scratch track to go by…still,..I just messed it up.  Tried to patch it up today…wasted a lot of time…now, the unfinished-ness of it is driving me batty…either I need to delete the whole mess, or wince and put it up on YouTube…something, anything, to make me not think about it constantly.  And, yeah, if I go to the big BG jam again around here it’s a little bit if a drive, not too far, but far enough and the traffic between here and there is terrible.  If those crazy gals on the Presonus don’t straighten up I’ll have to start going down the road for my music fix!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I went back down and listened to my messed up Golden Slippers nightmare again and decided to just put it up on YouTube, move on and get it out if my mind.  Well, normally I import the Wave file from the Presonus to the computer and then convert that to MP3 through iTunes, then find a photo off my phone to put up there so it can go onto YouTube…well, guess what…iTunes decided to mess with me tonight…lol.  So the Golden Slippers nightmare is still stuck, which makes it not wanna leave my mind and I’ll never be able to think about anything else until I do something with that one that tells me I’m done.  Apple stuff really gets worse all the time…I’ve got games on this iPad for my grandson…every time they say you can purchase this or that to make the game more fun, I give them a dollar or two and the stupid thing never works…one game I got him for free…it was so much fun for him I got the paid version…the paid one was terrible and I couldn’t get the free one back…oh man, all this stuff will drive you crazy.  So I won’t get any sleep or anything until I can quit thinking about Golden Slippers…lol…OH, them Golden Slippers!!!!

• This reply was modified 3 days ago by cricket cricket.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh gosh…I’ve got Thanksgiving cooking to get started on…and I can’t do anything until I can get Golden Slippers out of my mind!  These things obsess me…I’ve gone back and forth–delete it or put it on YouTube as is and forget it. I could delete it, but when I’ve done that it haunts me until I start another one.  Busy week ahead…so I listened again and thought it’s not as bad as I iriginally thought, although not nearly as good as I’d hoped…so itunes was uncooperative with me yesterday.  Now today…itunes is just gone…we shut down the computer, took off iTunes, put iTunes back on, ran the virus scan, updated the computer, took itunes off, put iTunes on, updated iTunes, unplugged the computer, plugged it back in…aghhhhhhh!  I’m not cut out for this…reminds me of an ordinary day at my old job…lol.  So…now we are waiting for … I can’t remember what…something is updating or whatever down there.  Doggone I miss the old days where you could walk into the store any afternoon and get caught up in a jam.  I wish I had a buncha people who just wanted to play.  I was in a BG band, but, I gotta say I didn’t really like how we played…it was mostly hectic, every tube sounded the same, and they played more modern songs that I didn’t really like that much.  I could talk them into some if my stuff, and it was nice that they did do some if that with me, but feberally I just didn’t like how we played or the distance I was always having to go.  I miss jams…real jams in small towns or rural communities.  Those people inside my Presonus tend to get caught up in high tech woes…I gotta start the bread for the stuffing ( the five of us eat about 20 people-worth of stuffing), make the stuffing, make the cabbage maple coleslaw, make the cranberry relish, etc.  These things are best made in advance…taste better.  Anyway…my mind is cluttered up with unfinished Golden Slippers and I’m stuck spinning my wheels…oh them Golden Slippers, oh them computers, oh for the good ol days down home where you just played!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think our computer is going bad…it’s pretty new, too…the other one went kaplooy back when I was working on the opera for my daughter.  As soon as we could swing it, we bought this new one…it’s really acting crazy, suddenly.  Besides playing problems with this, the technical problems were a nightmare.  I finally got it up onto youtube after trying for three days, then it came out with two versions going at once, delayed, so that there was this terrible sound…I mean, more terrible than my natural terrible playing…lol.  I had to take it back off youtube and do something…I can’t remember what it was i did… we’ve done so many things. Here it is…I’m worn out…about ready to go low-tech for a while…lol.  Here it is…it was a lot of work and headaches.

• This reply was modified 2 days ago by cricket cricket.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

That’s a really nice job , Your being to critical of your self , I would be happy if I could do as well !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, that is very nice! This is one of my favorites. I love the hand clapping and the sound of the footsteps! I think it is wonderful.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh gosh, thanks.  Took me three frustrating days to get this thing off my plate, between bad timing and the technical insanity. We had forgotten that last Sunday there was a bad wreck out on the interstate that surrounds the little wooded patch our houses are in…it knocked out our power for several hours…now wondering if it damaged our computer.  It’s pretty new…I sure hope we don’t need another one, already…lol…between the dog’s abscessed tooth and you know, all the unending, unexpected, surprises we all deal with…I sure hope this computer is ok.  That might be what was going on, though.

Angela
    Participant

Very nice cricket. You don’t have to get out to jam. You have the best company right there!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Angela!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Well done very nice, Cricket!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in