Sick doggie…

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 day ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

…home all day with sick doggie. This time, it isn’t the older, sickly one…it’s the young whippersnapper…if he’s not coming out of this in a few hours I guess it’s a trip to the vetūüė•

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The little guy on the left is sick…Crickie, born blind and with an open hole in her skull, plus bone problems and a hernia, and seemingly weak immune system, plus low thyroid….this time she feels great, but poor ol Buttons, young whippersnapper, is having a terrible time with his tum, swollen eye, dangling a back foot, and yelping if we grab hold of him to pick him up…weird assortment of symptoms. ¬†Wondering if he got stung and is allergic.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

aww, poor pup…hope he gets feeling better soon.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Dave…he seems to be getting better.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

From the picture…well, maybe they got into the corn or something Cricket??I know…you don’t keep any, but maybe the neighbors or, who knows?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…no, he does look a little tipsy there, but the picture is from another time. ¬†Buttons, the black one, the young-un, is feeling lousy today. ¬†I’ve stated here with him going back and forth as to whether he needs the vet or not…seems better, then bad again, then better. ¬†I’m not sure what it is that’s bothering him. ¬†He just ate some turkey, rice, and veggies, so we’ll see if his tummy can deal with that. ¬†I’d feel better if the swelling on his face would go down…can’t figure out what in the world is wrong with him. ¬†I still don’t know if I need to cancel everything tomorrow and take him in or if he’ll get ok. ¬†The vets never can figure stuff out anyway, it seems…yet, if he needs an antibiotic or something I want him to get it. ¬†Still not sure what to do bout him. ¬†Cricket, the sickly blind one, however, is eating, playing with her toys, running around happy as all get-out. ¬†Buttons watches her like he wishes he felt as good as that old sickly blind gal…lol. ¬†Poor little dog.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

OK, well maybe it’s time for some of Granny’s potient.¬† We never used it on the dogs, because we never seemed to have a sick dog, but it sure worked on me.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hope the pup is better soon, Cricket.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, John. ¬†Rodger, our dogs never used to get sick either. ¬†These days, though…seems they get sick a lot. ¬†That’s why we only have two…we had seven or eight dogs and a buncha cats before we moved up here, but, these days they’re expensive family members…lol. ¬†So far, this morning…I think he’s better.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Glad he is better, Cricket!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks Rock…good to see you! ¬†Well, he was worse again…went to the vet…abscessed tooth…lots of meds and surgery within next couple of weeks!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Oh no…I didn’t realize dogs could get toothaches.¬† Cricket, I learned today that dogs are either right or left handed just like people, and if your dog yawns a lot when you are with it, that is a sign of your dogs affection for you and connection.¬† This new dog I have yawns obsessively non’stop when you set down with it…it’s hilarious.¬† Oh..my dog is left handed.

Bruce
    Participant

Glad he is better. ¬†We had a very sad day here yesterday. ¬†Our 17 y/o yellow tabby, Dillon, left us. ¬†Our vet lives just up the street and came to the house to send him to “kitty heaven”. ¬†It is so weird here today without him but he was suffering terribly and it was time. ¬†Knowing he isn’t hurting helps the missing him.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sorry Bruce. ¬†I know it leaves a big empty hole when they have to go. ¬†Rodger, if your dog learns the fiddle he might have a harder time viewing the lessons unless you can hold a mirror up to the computer screen for him. ¬†I think Buttons was overmedicated…he acts like a zombie now and just totally out of it. ¬†He has to go back for bloodwork when he gets better and then dental surgery a week after the bloodwork. ¬†I hate seeing him act so bad…he’s really a lot worse since coming home from the vet…ain’t supposed towork like that, is it?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yay…he ate turkey and veggies plus some rice today and is slightly more Chipper. We were supposed to do the last mowing of the six acres tomorrow, but we’ll stay closer to home for Butt-butt, maybe go mow on another sunny day. This being Friday, Presonus Day for me, I was determined to make something of the viola plus voice Loving Hannah idea I’d had before. ¬†Well, with sick doggie in my lap and jelly Crickie feeling upset about all the attention he’s been getting…I attempted Loving Hannah and it was even worse than my first attempt. ¬†By the time I was all wore out and the dogs were losing patience, I finally settled in on an old coal mining song, I Don’t Want Your Millions, Mister, an Aunt Molly Jackson song, but I pretty much messed that all up too. ¬†I did put it up on YouTube, but it’s not how I wanted that either…once again, big on viola…no fiddle. ¬†I think my fiddle might be jelly now too…I think it’s time for me to relax with a good ol fun and EASY fiddle tune, next time! ¬†Whew…Buttons got better after supper though. ¬†Glad to see that.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, I’m glad Buttons is better. And I enjoyed the new tune!

Rodger, I had seriously never thought about dogs being left- or right-handed (pawed?) before. I guess I just figured they were ambidextrous. ūüôā¬† That is interesting that your dog is a leftie.

I did read a study a few months ago that observed dogs sneezing when they reached a consensus. So, it makes sense that a yawn would also have meaning. Here is the study.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/09/african-wild-dogs-vote-by-sneezing/

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

He’ll need dental surgery one of these days. ¬†I have a hard time sneezing to that idea, but I guess it just can’t be helped…yawn…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Nobody would believe how this dog does the yawn thing.¬† If I walk out to the kitchen & she jumps up on the couch, (so she’s happy) she just starts non-stop yawning with only a few seconds between yawns & no way she’s even remotely sleepy.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Dogs are such good people, aren’t they?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Amazing…I didn’t realize this new dog I have, has developed what is to her, a very important ritual for her feeding time.¬† The routine that has developed involved me going out on the porch to get her dish, (after she impatiently has been telling me how slow I am) then she leads me in the house to the pantry telling me how hungry she is and when I fill the dish she begins a fantastic dance…jumping over the couch, spinning circles, leaping & singing, etc. etc..Then I put her dish on the porch & she dives in.¬† Well, this morning the routine got disrupted and I learned that it is not a simple random routine but a very important ritual for her.¬† I already had her dish in the pantry because I had some yummy scraps in it, so with her outside I just filled it up and stuck it out on the porch.¬† She refused to touch it until I let her in the house to go through her dance/celebration ritual, after which she ran out & dove into her food!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ha ha…yes, I’ve seen dogs behave like that…can’t get to point B until you’ve completed point A! ¬†My daughter fosters dogs for a shelter now…they’ve got a really harsh case right now…little doggie that was thrown from a moving vehicle…small dog…he’s so terrified of crates, people, everything…he cowers under a bench on their porch and only comes out to eat, etc., when nobody’s around. ¬†If you even look at him he totally freaks. ¬†I sure hope he can come around and become adoptable…it’s awful to think a dog would have to be put down because he was so abused that he couldn’t ever trust people. ¬†But…nobody adopts that kinda dog. ¬†I sure would take him, myself, but our dogs have had so many medical bills I don’t think we have the economic means to commit to another mouth to feed and to take care of. ¬†It kills me to see his fear…terribly fearful.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I took fearful foster doggie for a walk tonight…it was hard…he hated it and was so paranoid and afraidūüôĀ

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

When I adopted Otis he was the same way…just heartbreaking to be around¬† him…almost 2 years later he shows vast improvement and is a pretty darn happy pup. It took huge amounts of love and patience, and a¬† regular routine of confidence building that he can count on, to get him there….

I still only let him meet one person at a time and we take it slow,¬† letting him make the advance if he’s interested while the “stranger” is instructed to ignore him until he asks for attention…this seems to work best for his comfort and confidence…

He still has some quirks…when camping he will never walk far from the camper unless forced…it took over a year to get him to look me in the eye…took him a month per room to manage the courage to go into each new room in the house..and so on.

He has turned into a very well behaved, loving animal…but it took effort on my part…most people don’t want to put in that kind of effort, or don’t have the time, understanding & compassion it takes to help an animal with these type of trust issues.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Haha…Roger, that’s hilarious!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well there’s still hope for this little one, I guess, then. ¬†Our two have abusive histories and don’t like people they don’t know. ¬†But this little dog can’t be approached by anybody at all, by this point. ¬†Annie is busy with a lot of stuff and was taking a break from fostering when they called her…she usually ends up with the problem dogs and they work hard to get them ready to be adoptable. ¬†She’s really too busy to spend that much time…it’s hard to get him outside to toitee, even. ¬†He won’t step into their house, but stays hidden under a bench on their porch, which is closed in but not warm. ¬†It’s starting to get cold a little…he just stays under that bench. ¬†It’s very sad. ¬†I just read on my Facebook today somebody found a dog swimming across the Ohio River too…wonder what that one’s story is or where that dog will end up…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, that sounds like a fun ritual! So funny that she wouldn’t eat until you allowed her to do it properly. It reminds me of the pre-game rituals that some athletes have to perform in order to fell comfortable starting the match. Dave and Cricket, thanks for taking in those dear pound pups. Kindnes towards animals is a very good trait in a person!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in