Site restoration

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Site restoration

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, I was upgrading software this evening and the site suffered a crash. I tried to fix it but now it’s 4:00 AM and tech support has resorted to restoring the site to a previous safe point, which means I lost a lesson (Dixieland Delight) and you guys lost some really cool forum posts. I apologize for that! Let’s just start from here and keep going. Thanks for your patience as I continue to try to upgrade BGD, which has grown very large and ponderous over the last few years!

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok thanks for that explanation, I was wondering what was wrong with everything

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

I didn’t know what happened. I noticed posts gone.  Thanks for explaining.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Wow.  I used to participate in a thumbpicking/ guitar forum on a semi pro sorta guitar guys’ web site…he kept having trouble with it and eventually gave up on it…don’t know if it just had too many people to keep up with or what.  I guess forums must cause a lot of burden on websites.  Glad it’s back up…but sorry it’s being such an issue to have to deal with.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by cricketcricket.
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I haven’t a clue as to what makes websites fast or slow. But I’m amazed at how fast one of my sites I visit regularly runs. It loads in so fast I nearly have to have a seat belt on at my desk. It’s the site called azbilliards.com

It has thousands and thousands of pages and yet loads super fast.

My own site loads pretty darn fast but azbilliards is in a class all by itself. I don’t know why it does but there must be a reason.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Billiards, hey?  Do you play, Fred?  I guess that’s a stupid question…lol.  The only time I was around it was in college, before video games…the student center had pool tables and ping pong tables.  I never could do anything good with that…lol.  But I did love ping pong…people from Asian countries sorta taught me and wow…it got wild…a lot more hoppin around and slammin and stuff than a person would think.  I always wanted to play ping pong after college, but have never seen another ping pong table since…I always wanted to do fencing too…i loved that in college, but no idea how a person finds anywhere where people an do that outside of being rich or something.  Anyway…ooops…yes…there’s that.

I have been on lots of forums…fiddle, banjo, guitar, food, gardening, knitting, eventually dropping most of them because I jsut get tired of the net sometimes…some of them ran fast, some were always crashing or slow…seems like some of my favorites always had problems.  I got kicked off one web site for life…lol…vegan website…when I had found a vet who had discovered the horrors of gluten intolerance and I found it to be soemthing of value for me…anyway, I talked about it too much and it annoyed those vegans and they banned me…lol.  Well the vet I’d been discussing it all with (I’d also interviewed him on our vegan radio show we had at the time at a local amateur radion station) said he got kicked off of a few web sites for telling what he had read and the results in his one-man veterinary clinic…people just didn’t believe him or want to hear it.

But anyway, John, I hope you still have the lesson that got lost off the site.

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

I just noticed my original tune is gone.  I could re-upload it but I’m going to redo it with my new Fiddle. So no big deal.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Ouch…sorry it was something that got lost.  But it should be fun to do over with the new fiddle!

I was talking about the vet in the other post, the one who got kicked off a vegan forum…lol…don’t know if his website is still there, but in case…it’s interesting…he’s one of those guys that just can’t stop searching for info and compiling knowledge…plus, being a one man vet clinic, he studies his patients, their offsrping over several generations, etc.  He’s a very enthusiastic and researching kinda person…his name online was dogtorj….  his site was dogtorj.com….don’t know if it’s still there…but in case anybody ever gets curious…there’s a ton of stuff to read there.

cricketcricket
    Participant

oops..sorry, I looked for Dogtor J later and saw he’s no longer practicing and his site is down too…I guess that was longer ago than I was thinking, back when I had communicated with him…very early 2000’s.  Well I can just tell you he found he could control various doggie chronic conditions of our time with dietary changes, and he found it worked with people too…in a nutshell.

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

He got kicked off of a vegan forum? Now that is funny.

I don’t think his site works. I tried it.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Yeah…I got kicked off of a vegan forum for the same reason…lol…we talked about all that back when I was in touch with him.  Looks to me like he might have retired…I think he had some related plans, something to do with doggie diets for controlling disease, for when he retired but more years than I realized have passed since I last got in touch with him.  The extra funny part of the whole thing is we both got kicked off of different vegan forums, for the same reason, which was stuff we were discussing on my vegan talk radio show I had once a month on the little local amateur radio station…it’s a long story how I got that volunteer job, but anyway, I eventually handed it over to some other vegan because I was slowly losing my veganism at the time, mainly due to the experiences and discussions with DogtorJ, etc.  Long story…upset my vegan friends.  A few of them understood the circumstances and continued to keep in touch over email…although we have gradually drifted away over time.

Participant

Hi! I think my account may have fallen through the cracks because I rejoined in the last week.  I’m not able to get to any of the lesson content.  When I click on any lesson material it takes me to the signup page with only the yearly and lifetime options available.  Is anyone else having that problem?

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

No. Not sure why that is happening to you. I clicked on lessons and took me to the list.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by JBoundsJBounds.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

BlockFour, are you sure you have the right password?  I’d email John and see what’s going on.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I surely do hope that the ability to receive emails when someone has left a message on a topic can be restored.

BlockFour, the site has been set back to a safe point about 5 days ago. If you’ve joined within that time, it’s possible you may have to email John (BGD) and let him know. The site has been experiencing trouble lately and is undergoing repairs. Good luck to you. 🙂

Participant

It’s good now! Not sure what changed but I can get into everything.  I was logged in fine and I could get to the lessons but if I tried to play anything it took me to the signup page.  Thanks guys. 🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Glad everything is almost back to normal. 🙂 Fred, I checked out the billiards site, they are using vBulleting (with Tapatalk). They are really fast. I could build a new forum site and migrate the database, but it would require users to have a seperate login (not integrated like this forum). That has been one of the issues keeping me from moving to a faster software. I am also considering moving up to a dedicated server, which would probably result in greater speed.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I wish I understood all that stuff, because it’d be fun to have a website…but I’m totally lost with it all.  I’m just glad this site is here and works like it does.  I’ve gotten SO MUCH from this site!

When I worked at the university library where I retired from, at first I worked in the microforms section…that was the only way people could do research…then the internet came along and they had to keep sending me around to other departments because that one gradually fell by the wayside…anyway, one dept I ended up in for a while was working with html code for the library’s site…ugh…that took a lot of coffee…lol…spending hours looking through pages and pages of code to find one semicolon or slash out of place that was wrecking the whole thing or something…oh, man…doing that for 8 hours a day for 8 dollars an hour…man, that didn’t even pay for the coffee it took to keep me interested…lol.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I’m trying hard, as I’m sure Jim is, to get used to the site being so slow compared to others. I understand fully that it’s a difficult problem and have no real lasting objections to whatever ends up the base from which we all operate.

Like so many others on the internet, I’m spoiled by the faster speeds and load-in times of the hot sites. I do not know what makes it all “click”, I just know I like the super efficiency of the faster sites.

I’m like a family pet dog who chases the tennis ball when it’s thrown. At first when the thrower is all full of energy, I enjoy going way out in the field to retrieve the ball. I’m in “flow” with the event. As the thrower tires and throws the ball for shorter and shorter runs, I simply adjust and have nearly as much fun. But, I sure do love those long runs………….:)

Participant

Hey John, growing pains suck, but; to those who have everything more will be give, and to those who have nothing everything will be taken is true from gravity to fiddle sites. Good luck with upgrading.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.