SNARK SN-5 Chromatic Tuner review

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things SNARK SN-5 Chromatic Tuner review

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

This is my review of the SNARK Chromatic tuner. Model: SNARK SN-5
    Please note: This model is strictly a chromatic tuner. It has no mic and no metronome.
    A #1 ‘Best-Seller on Amazon.
    Price: Under $10.00 at most places.

Here’s what it’s got:
    * Full color display that rotates 360 degrees (works well for both right or left-hand players)
    * A padded ‘stay-put’ clip that can be placed anywhere on the front or the back of the headstock (no dead spots) and on the scroll of a violin
    * Tunes tighter with dead-on accuracy
    * Features frequency range tailored to guitar, bass and violin
    * High sensitivity Vibration Sensor

My Experience:
    This little guy is small, light-weight, easily pocketable, fun to use, and does exactly what it is made to do; with sheer accuracy! It comes in a protective bag, inside a small rigid cardboard box. The CR 2032 Lithium battery is included.
    Diameter: 40 mm (1.5 inches) (About the size of a man’s watch face)
    Length: Approximately 90mm (3.5 inches) (including the swivel arm and clip)
    Weight: Approximately 25 grams ( 1.5 oz)

The one caveat I found was in the actual design of the swivel mechanism. The SNARK SN – 5 is made of light-weight plastic, so you must be very gentle with it when you are rotating the swivel arm that operates as a ball and socket joint – type setup. It could be very easy to break the plastic housing around the base of the arm if it is forced too far in any one direction. This wouldn’t be an issue if the housing were made of a more resilient type of plastic. However, if you are careful with it, and don’t force it too far, I doubt it would be any cause for concern.

All-in-all, I am very happy with this great little go-anywhere chromatic tuner.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Great review, Great Scott! Sounds like a nice and inexpensive tuner. It is amazing how much the tuning technology has improved since I first started using electronic tuners. I can still remember trying to tune during a jam session by ear or with a microphone-based tuner. Those of you who started jamming less than 20 years ago probably do not remember when the phrase “Everyone please be quiet, I’m trying to tune” was heard even more often than “Do you guys play Fox on the Run?”

The turning point came in 1995 with a little product introduced by Mark Wilson of OnBoard Research Corporation, called the Intellitouch Tuner Model PT1. Most people simply call it the “clip-on” tuner, and it works off vibrations through the body of the instrument instead of through the air. Mark now spends his time playing upright bass in Dallas, TX, and he never asks anyone to be please be silent when he tunes it. Mark Wilson, jammers everywhere salute you!

Great ScottGreat Scott

Thanks John! I found it amazing that the company who makes this tuner had no information on size, weight etc. So I measured it and weighed it myself. (“… then put in oven until brown”)

The fun thing with these types of ‘Clip-on’ tuners, is that you can clip them to the end of a ruler, and then place the other end of the ruler against your throat, and it will tell you the note that you are singing. I may try doing this with my canary! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.