Wayfaring Stranger

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Nancy Bitter
    Participant

Any lessons, tabs, or notes for:

WAYFARING STRANGER????

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I hope something surfaces here for you, Nancy.  Have you tried playing it before?  i”ve messed around with it and to me stuff in minor keys is kinda tricky…I hope to be able to actually play it ok one day, but not there with it yet.  I’ll be watching to see if somebody pulls something out of the sky for this tune.  I’ve usually tried it in A minor…do you have any particular key in mind for it?  I usually tune to AEAE if I do A modal stuff, but keep going back and forth between that and standard for minor-sounding stuff, because seems to me some of the necessary notes fall somewhere between…I can’t decide how to wrangle them all and catch them.  Anyway, I’m sure my response to your post is completely unhelpful…lol…sorry, but I hope somebody will see it and have something useful to offer!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…there’s a Cyber Hymnal?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hmmm….this info is buzzing my Presonus Choir doorbell…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cyber Hymnal is one of my all- time favorite websites!

Nancy, thanks the request. That is in my list!

Nancy Bitter
    Participant

John–I dont see it in the lesson list or the sheet music list.  Where should I look?   I did find it in an old book of mine in the key of C minor.  as hoping for something in G or A maybe????

thanks

Nancy Bitter
    Participant

found it in key of D from Roger….on cyber hymnal.  THANKS!!!!!

If anyone has it in G or A please pass along.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

This is one of my favorite songs to play and to play around with.  I play it in G.    I’ll try to see if I can find the original music and also maybe post where I am at on the Lion’s Den.  Our group plays it and I have a lot of fun playing back and forth with the bass player.

Here is a link to my favorite version, although I’ll never play fiddle like she does:

https://youtu.be/2zkVw2T-m3A

Joe

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Icebike Icebike.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Nancy, I didn’t see the one in D. But the link I posted in F, I believe you will find you can do as well.  F is one of my favorite keys because of the special sound it produces.  It’s just like playing in C with the only change is to remember the Bb.  I guess any key can be transposed, but to me it has a totally different sound sometimes when you change the key.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Nancy,

Here is a basic version of Wayfaring Stranger (Key of G) I scribbled out a few years back.  The second page is just a variation.  There’s lots of improvising that can be added to this.

Joe

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Icebike Icebike.
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Icebike, the video you posted with the band “Driftwood” playing shows off the incredible artistry of this group in interpreting this old song. I’ve played it over quite a few times and I haven’t tired of it yet. Thanks for posting it.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks Dave!

Nancy Bitter
    Participant

love her intro & outro

Nancy Bitter
    Participant

any advice on intro & outro??????

John Cockman
    Keymaster

The harmonics are cool!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in