Soup can dobro, maybe….

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Soup can dobro, maybe….

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Angela 1 month ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

This probably won’t surprise anyone…. (much, anyway). For quite some time I’ve wanted a dobro, (ok, obsessed over having one) and I didn’t make enough money stateside to buy one there, and I’ve only seen one in SA, (square neck, I’ve seen a couple round also) so I had a crazy idea (which is pretty normal 😂🙄) so one time Kanon (my older brother) made a single string soup can diddly bo, which was very basic but functional, but limited due to it’s one stringedness. So I’m thinking, make a double wide model, (two soup cans) with six strings tuned dobroish. I just have to wait till we get some bamboo.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool idea!  Good luck with it, Gunnar!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Good luck Gunnar !

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Good luck with your endeavor, Gunnar. Sounds like a lot of fun to build.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks, Fred! I’ll try to take lots of pictures

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Hey Gunnar, youes gonna soup up your playin for sure now.  Just leave a little soup in those cans….might attract some flies, but, well  …….

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by rodger rodger.
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I’ll have to play a soupy slide style on it 😂

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Actually, I’m probably gonna use baked beans cans for it, since we eat a lot if them

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We’ve discussed the gas can guitars, they make somewhere in Africa…maybe it was Botswana or South Africa…right?  I mean… a gas can is pretty big and probably has a nice sound…most of them are electric, but I think I remember seeing some acoustic ones up for sale, years ago, online.  People used to use ham cans for banjos…but, seriously, they do not make ham cans anymore…now they make plastic ham “cans.”  There used to be a guy online who made ukeleles from old metal kids’ lunchboxes…or maybe new metal kids’ lunchboxes…do they stil make those metal?????  Anyway…I guess if you’ve got a huge supply of bean cans…that’ll be the construction material of choice…I mean…free is good…lol.  Although I guess the beans weren’t free in the first place.  Don’t forget you also have Legos to work with!  No pressure, but I can’t wait to see what happens!  If you start building…it would be cool if phtos could document your experiments, problems, succeses, progress, etc.  Like I said…no pressure, though.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Yeah, they make the gas can guitars in Sound Africa. I actually am only gonna use two bean cans, and it’s probably going to end up looking like a lap steel, albeit a rather strange one. I’ll try my best to document it. I can’t wait either, to see what I end up with. It’ll unfortunately probably be a week before we get any bamboo though (I’m gonna use it for the main structure/neck)

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Yes, I agree, bean cans definitely will have a more melodic sound….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

If I eat beans before playing, I can add some accompaniment…..

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…careful with them beans!

Angela
    Participant

Have you all ever seen this:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.