Southern flavor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

Is there any sheet music for southern flavor????

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

There may be some out there somewhere but I haven’t seen it. I played it over a bunch of times until I finally got it. It’s in E Minor and uses Em, G, D and B7 double stops.

Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

Thank you!

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Hi Nancy –

Here it is in mandolin:

http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/51709

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

https://youtu.be/mGY_xYRQb64

Nancy, here’s a version I fiddled out just playing with variations on the general theme. I forgot where I got the backup tracks. 🙂

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Wow!  Great fiddling, Fred!  I enjoy your website.

More fiddle ‘dots’  from the Weiser Tunebook:

http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/tbot_southern.htm

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Here’s the Bill Monroe youtube:

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thank You very much, Nancy P. I appreciate your kind comments. There are so many ways to play Southern Flavor on the fiddle, it’s incredible. The Weiser book you linked to is really cool. 🙂

Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

The you tubes are great but is there slower version? They play way too fast for me to hear where they go

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I’m not sure whether this will help or not but I’ll suggest it anyways: Take the video right above here and watch it on YouTube. When it first appears, go to the little gear-looking wheel on the right hand bottom of the screen and press that and select a slower speed. Try .5 which is half as fast and watch the fiddler real closely over and over to figure out where he is going from note to note. ( I prefer Kenny Baker’s version which I believe is also on YouTube here somewhere.)

Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

I did not know you caould slow it down….I did and much easier to follow….THANKS

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Alright! Way to go. 🙂 I use this little helpful trick a lot when I’m trying to figure something out that isn’t immediately obvious. Glad I could help you. Happy fiddling!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Very nice fiddling on yours, Fred!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks a lot, Peggy. I enjoy fiddling Southern Flavor. I recorded this some time maybe a year ago or so on Audacity and I used a backing track from somewhere…just can’t remember where.

If I wasn’t so lazy, I would actually record it now on Presonus Studio One and use a real guitar, banjo and a fiddle and maybe even throw in an acoustic bass from the VST library. It would be good practice for me but I’m too darned busy composing another cinematic classical piece. 🙂

Thanks, again. I appreciate it.

cricketcricket
    Participant

So much music to be played, and so little time to do it all…lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.