Split: Chord theory (mixolydian mode)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I noticed some discussion of music theory here on the TN Waltz post, so I can’t help myself……Here’s some Music Theory tips that get a lot of hits on my website every day that may be helpful to those on this site:

https://www.frederickwarner.com/music-theory.html

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

Off the topic of TN Waltz but following on to theory, perhaps Fred or John can answer:

Why does the flatted 7th CHORD  (F in the key of G, C in the key of D, etc) sound so dang good and how does it fit, theoretically?  Are we in the area where we’re leaving Major & Minor “keys” and are now in “modes?”   Someone told me that songs with that flatted 7th chord (Little Maggie, etc) are Myxilodian, not necessarily “major.”

Related: if any of you play Steve Earle’s “Copperhead Road” on guitar, the song verse is all in D.  The chorus goes to G  and C, then back to D.  So, is this song in the key of G (G, C & D chords I IV V) or D (chords I IV bVII)?

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

The flat seventh is used in modal (mixolydian) tunes. It takes the place of the fifth chord in most instances

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fred, thanks for the great link! I have split this thread away from TN Waltz to give it a special place here.

Mixolydian mode is what happens when you move the tonalatity of a major chord to from the root to the 5. You are right, a good example is Copperhead Road, also Seven Bridges Road.

In Copperhead Road, the tonal center is D mixolydian, so the chord progression is the same as if the song were in G major (G, C, and D).

However, if you are using the Nashville Number system, you will use D as the root chord, not G. Here is the typical mixolydian progression:

Mixolydian: I – ii – iii° – IV – v – vi – VII

As Gunnar mentioned, the 5 chord is a minor (lower case), so a tune in D mixolydian should have Am instead of A7. For this reason, Little Maggie is not strictly mixolydian unless you are playing the minor 5, or just playing two chords like the Kingston Trio.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lots of theory on that page, Fred!  All I know about modes came from playing the lap dulcimer, without the half frets.  You have to figure out the mode of the song and tune to it, or else it just won’t play on the instrument.  Chording is another matter…lol.  Sometimes I’m not sure what I want, sound wise, so I just play it on the dulcimer or the fiddle and leave off the chords.  I’m not sure I’ll ever be up on all the theory…it gets pretty hairy…lol.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I love theory, Cricket. It truly helps so much in playing an instrument and in writing for an instrument. Glad you enjoyed reading through some of it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, I did.  I enjoy it too, to a certain point…lol…and then my brain turns to oatmeal and it’s just time to stop.  It is interesting,though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in