Spooky Tunes

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by JBounds JBounds 1 month ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Since Halloween is next month which has to do with what I’m about to ask. lol

But anyone know anyone any, spooky, ancient, haunting type, Appalachian kind of tunes?

You know. The kind that ain’t so happy.

I only know one. Which I need to relearn called”The Blackest Crow.” I will post it some time soon when I relearn it.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by JBounds JBounds.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think a lot of them can just have a haunting sound…although I don’t think spooky…Wild Hog in the Woods is probably both haunting and spooky, especially if you sing it too.

Say Old Man can you Play the Fiddle can be sort of haunting, especially, in my opinion, if you keep it minor and not put the major tones in there, but either way it has a haunting feel to it, to me anyway.  Also, Yew Piney Mountain can sound that way too.

Satan, your Kingdom Must Come Down sounds haunting to me…well, if you sing it, it’ll sound like a hymn, but if you just fiddle it, it’ll make your hair stand on end.

There’s a bunch that sound haunting and just very lonely…but I can’t think of them right now, besides the above-mentioned.  You gonna play them for Trick-R-Treaters this year?

Somehow i got into the habit of taking my dulicmer out on Halloween…sitting by the bowl of goodies and just strumming through tunes on the dulcimer…in between the spook visits.  We usually build a fire to sit by, but it has to be right at the edge of the road…lol…we live just right on the road itself…but it’s fun to be out by the fire, in the road, playing the ol’ dulcimer and seeing how the kids are dressed up and handing them a treat.

Anyway, there should be lots of them…lots of stuff I’ve played people have called “spooky-sounding,” even Cold Frosty Morning.  To me…haunting, or lonely is how they sound.  Wild Hog in the Woods, yeah that’s really spooky!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Maybe a bit off topic…. (I’ll preface by saying we don’t celebrate Halloween) if you want a laugh at someone else’s expense… take a bunch of little hershey’s chocolates, and eat them or dispose of them however you see fit, but keep the wrappers. Then, buy a catering package of beef bullion cubes. Unwrap the beef cubes and put them into the hershey’s wrappers, and put them in a big bowl to hand out.

Disclaimer: I haven’t done this and won’t be held responsible and usual disclaimer stuff etc. etc.

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

I like that idea Gunnar (we don’t do Halloween either) but I think that seeing we know our neighbors so well I think it might give the wrong impression 😋

John, I always thought that ‘Midnight on the water’ had a haunting sound, especially played really slow.

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Wow! Now that’s absolutely entertaining. Two violins and a viola are perfect together. Thanks for posting.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We’ve always gotten a kick out of Halloween.  My grandson goes trick or treating and loves making his costumes for it, himself (sometimes with help from mom and dad)…he stays out the whole allotted trick or treating time, gets tons of candy and comes home happy…except, they don’t let him have candy…so they take the candy to a local dentist, who buys it by the pound from kids (have no idea what he does with all that candy) who don’t eat candy but love trick or treating…so Gunnar’s trick wouldn’t work for grandson Roro…lol.  He’d never know.  Not sure about the dentist or whoever ends up with that candy down the road…lol.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Yes, Cricket was thinking about playing Halloween night some tunes. Trying to come up with a list of tunes to play.

I love, say, old man can you play the fiddle but that tune is hard for me.

Midnight on the water is a good suggestion.

Gunnar that would be funny.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It’s kinda fun to play on Halloween while you wait for hobgoblins to come up for their treat.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Unless, of course it’s raining…then… forget it…lol!  No way!

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Well I have a porch I can sit under if it rains. And a rocking chair to sit in. I can rock and fiddle. That will be spooky enough. lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That sounds good.  I have a porch too, but we usually just sit out on the edge of the road so they don’t have to fumble their way through the gate, etc.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

This a video, I did, of Hedwig’s Theme, from the Harry Potter movies…

I think it has that Halloween vibe…

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Nice, Ed. Cool tune. I just noticed your fiddle looks to have a rosewood fingerboard. Is that true? It’s cool looking.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

I think it is, too, Fred. It is my German Workshop Violin…a Josef Kloz…obviously a copy…a normal person, like me, couldn’t afford a real one…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Edmo45 Edmo45.
    JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I’ll have to learn that one Edmo. Thanks for sharing.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Here is a cool one called Halloween Reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gO3X5sJTB4

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by JBounds JBounds.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Some old Bill Monroe/Kenny Baker stuff might fit the bill…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

That’s a good one. Now I just gotta learn them. So many tunes, so little time lol

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.