String Crossing Exercises

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum String Crossing Exercises

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ljrockljrock
    Participant

Looking for any good exercises that will help with clean natural string crossings, so there is no carryover or overtones of a previous played string. Thanks to all, Larry

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by ljrockljrock.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

I’d like to know the secrets of string crossing…I’ve been going by trial and error up to this point…this way doesn’t work – neither does that way – try another way – must be some other way, etc.  Not an easy thing!

Participant

Hey Larry….check out this youtube.  Looks like pretty good stuff.

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Larry,  I guess the first step is to draw attention to it, as you have done, because otherwise it’s one of those things we get so used to the odd sounds we make inadvertently, that we just don’t hear them anymore…but anyone listening will hear for sure.

Participant

I saw this one before and wrote them down so I can also practice and not hit the other strings in the process. 😉

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

I have mostly just worked the waltz’s and slower tunes and play along with John and learn to match him , and there does not seem to be a problem with crossovers , after I learn to match him as in twin fiddles I do not know a good way to explain it except monkey see and monkey hear and monkey do I eventually copy DR: John , However He does produce some quick little grace notes here and there that I am yet to capture , cause they are so quick and lightly done  by the time I hear them they are gone , Ha stuff that’s not in the tabs ,

Good luck with your crossover endeavors !

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Here’s a string crossing exercise from FiddleHed, but it is only free to non-members until January 22nd, so you want to get over there now.

Fiddler’s Playground #1: String Crossing on D Major

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi Larry!  I just came upon your thread and thought I would offer something of what I have seen taught in order get better string crossings.  I may have got it from Jason at Fiddlehed, but I think I also got it from another one or two pros as well:

Play the tune you want to learn very slow, resting the bow on the string that you have just played for a second or two before crossing over to string that you need to play next.  Then do the same again with the next string that you need to play, i.e; rest the bow for a second or two on the string that you have just played and then gently rock it over to the next string that you need to play.  I hope that makes sense.

Note: I have only written the above instructions for anyone reading this post after Jason (Fiddlehed) has closed the link.

I think too that the right arm position and angling of the fiddle have a lot to do with it.  And what Michael Sanchez demonstrates in the above Youtube video is pretty good and sensible advise too.

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Here it is?

The ultimate string-crossing exercise! Try it 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.