String Question

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things String Question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

I am very new to the fiddle.  I set up my fiddle with D’addario Pro Arte strings.  I picked them simply because they appeared to be the only ‘synthetic’ core set of strings that I could afford.  After playing for a few days, I was distressed to find that the ‘E’ string seemed dead-  there was a noticeable drop in volume moving from the ‘A’ string to the ‘E’ string.  Before I purchased the Pro Arte set, I had done some research on the internet.  It was suggested that the Pirastro Gold was an excellent ‘E’ string, so when I purchased the ‘Pro Arte’ set, I also purchased a couple of the ‘Pirastro’ strings as singles.

I found the problem with the Pro Arte ‘E’ so frustrating that I removed it from the fiddle and out of desperation, put on one of the Pirastro ‘E’ strings.  To my amazement, the problem was solved.  The new ‘E’ string worked perfectly.  The volume and tone moving from the ‘A’ to the ‘E’ string seemed balanced and pleasing.

Which raises a question for me.  I have no prior experience with violins and violin strings.  With the better sets of strings hovering in the $70 range, I can’t afford to experiment.  Can anyone with more experience than I have, and given my experience with the ‘Pro Arte’ string problem and the ‘Pirastro’ fix make any suggestions regarding what might be an optimal set of strings for my fiddle.

The fiddle is a Cremona SV-1800 Maestro Special Edition Hellier Style Violin.  It is Chinese made, but came highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UECKDG?tag=au001-20

Thanks very much for any suggestions,

Bill

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

I like the Helicore medium strings Dr. John use’s these strings on the lessons on this site they are about $40.00 or less ! beautiful violin you have there I love all the carving nice !

https://www.sharmusic.com/Strings/Violin-Strings/D-Addario-Helicore-Violin-Set.axd

Participant

Ditto Steve. Helicore mediums is the way to go.

Participant

Strings are somewhat violin dependent, but as mentioned above, I’ve settled on Helicores after experimenting with others.  They sound fantastic and the price is reasonable and they last a long time and are very stable tuning.

jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

Thanks very much for the feedback.  I have one more question.  Did you choose the plain ‘E’ string, or the aluminum wound ‘E’?

Thanks again,

Bill

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

John uses the plain E string , the aluminum E string is a no whistle string if you have a problem with that on your violin , On the other strings like the A string the platinum string last longer

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi Bill !  I have experimented with various strings over the years.  I have two violins — the first being a Chinese one (Lord have mercy !).  It was on this violin that I experimented with the various strings to get the sound I liked.  I had Pro Arte strings on it for a short while in order to give it a more mellow, slightly warmer tone, which they did.  But they died much too young.  So I tried the Helicores, and I liked the sound — brighter.  Now, it was my habit of always replacing the E string of both the Helicore and the Pro Arte strings with a Jagar E string, which (to my ear) always sounded so much better that the Helicore and Pro Arte Es.  I was very happy with the Helicore sound on my cheaper Chinese violin.

My German-made violin has a very bright E string and a very deep and dark G string (which is rarely used) and I wanted to tone down the brightness of the E string, so I decided to try the Zyex string set and bought a set (circa $44 from Fiddlerman’s Fiddleshop).  The Zyex strings are said to have a sound very close to gut strings.  My impression of the Zyex strings on my German violin is that they have a warmer sound than the Helicores.  I am very happy with them, and I will choose Zyex again when the strings need to be replaced.  They have lasted around 4 years ;   but then I don’t play them a lot.  Naturally, the sound I get from them will be different to the sound that some one else gets, but for me, I will keep using the Zyex.  I had no need to replace the E string with a Jagar E.  The Zyex E string is good, PLUS, I have had no unraveling of the Zyex strings.

Hope this helps you some

D’Addario Zyex to be better than the Helicores

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I have one fiddle strung with medium Zyex and the other with medium Helicores. I use the E’s that came with the sets. Once in a while I will get a wolf-sound from the Helicoe E but it’s always when I cross over from somewhere on the A string. I have to be aware of the crossover and then I’m fine.

jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

I have tried a couple of sets of strings and finally found a set that I like very much.  They have the dark, rich sound that I prefer and the ‘E’ string geometry is great.  The design eliminates ‘whistling’ and the string is not too bright.

They are:

https://fiddlershop.com/products/warchal-amber-violin-string-set

Bill

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Bill let me know how you feel in a few weeks !

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

thanks Fred! haha…wrote my whole post for me…exact same here on my two fiddles

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.