string

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Don 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Don
    Participant

I bought a fiddle and he fine … even more ..it is mark Karl Niirnberger 1955 … play fine but the string (E and A ) seem bright …  I do like pirastro string … what type and size do you recommend, I always did prefer a bit soft…there so many different type on the market, synthetic core, silver wounded,  stainless steel etc, medium, small, big etc???

Joe
    Participant

have most always used helicores medium have tried a few others buy always go back to helicores.

Don
    Participant

the G D A seem ok I can live with that but the E string is extremely bright Joe, … are yours bright or else?? thx for the reply Joe…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

To my knowledge the E string will always be steel, and therefore will always have a bright sound.  But that’s the nature of the E string register Don.  If you like the dark sound on the G, D, and A, then go with synthetic core, but I don’t know of an E string that’s not steel.

Don
    Participant

Thx Roger and Joe… Might be that fiddle is different that the one I had before, a bit more bright…

Maybe I should put a E string of a Bass on it … lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Don a silvered  E string or Aluminum wrapped  E string takes away some of the brightness , Also the placement of your sound post will make it Dark , Mellow or Bright You might wont to get a Luther to adjust the sound post if you don’t know how , The sound post is the soul of your violin , big changes can happen with just small changes ? Good luck !

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Don, Obligato is a good dark synthetic-core string that you may like.

Don
    Participant

Thx Guys I will try some of those … hope its better…. obligato synthetic core gold envelope,  you Guys are Great thx again !!

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Don, My Obligati strings are in a red &black pkg.    My Evah Pirazzi Gold are in gold &black pkg.

See string guide below:

https://www.sharmusic.com/Pages/How-To/Strings/Strings-Chart/

Don
    Participant

I went to see the web site that you mention Nancy it will help thx…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.