Strings: Helicore or Fiddlerman?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Strings: Helicore or Fiddlerman?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

So I just went to check the string selections at Fiddlerman, and found that the daddario helicore strings are the same price as Fiddlerman strings. So which ones should I get? Is one better or are they just different?

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Gunnar , DR: John use’s Helicore , Fiddleman strings are equivalent to Dominant strings according to reviews ! I like the Helicore !

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Helicore or Zyex for me. Evah Pirazzi’s if I had the money! lol

Participant

I have tried a variety of different strings and so far the best I’ve found are the old fiddler line by super sensitive. However that depends on the sound your looking for. About  $20 a set and they will last a very long time. Especially good for fast fiddle tunes. They sell them on that same site- good luck.

Great ScottGreat Scott

Gunnar, I have tried a number of different brands and names of strings when I first got playing the fiddle.  And I tried them out on both my fiddles.  I had Helicore strings on my German violin but I swapped out the E string for a Jargar E.  I thought the Helicore strings were okay, but then I heard a lot of fuss over the Zyex fiddle strings: so I gave them a try and I really REALLY liked the sound.  My German violin has a warm bright tone, and I didn’t want it sounding any brighter. I found that the Helicore strings made it sound TOO bright sounding, so I put the Zyex strings on and it made it sound just right — not as bright as the Helicore strings, but very warm, and oh so cuddly. They say that the Zyex strings sound very close to the old gut strings.  I can not substantiate that claim, but I like their warmth.

Don’t take any notice of the Zyex strings sound when you hear my violin in the Lion’s Den.  I have to play with a mute because my violin is deafening to me under my ear.

Fiddle strings are really a matter of what floats your boat and the sound that you are looking for.  Some good suggestions from the other folks here, but if I had to choose between the FM and Zyex (at the same price), I’d go Zyex. (as much as I revere Fiddlerman himself.)

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Great Scott for what ever reason , I received four of the same duplicate messages you just posted weird !

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok I think I’ll go with the helicores, they’ll definitely be an upgrade from the Preludes I’m using

Great ScottGreat Scott

Gunnar, I am sure you will enjoy the Helicores. You play rather well so I think you will sound great with whatever strings you use. I tried the Preludes in the beginning but I found them to sound too tinny and metallic- sounding. I think the Prelude strings (all four of them)are steel strings.
    I hope you enjoy your new strings when you get them. Welcome back to stateside.

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Top 10 Best Violin Strings for 2020 – Review & Buying Guide

10 Best Violin Strings & Sets 2020 – Review & Buying Guide

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I started with Dominants, switched to helicore for a big improvement on both my fiddles, then tried Zyex on my older fiddle and got a sizeable improvement again.

Each player will eventually find what works best for what they want to feel & hear out of a particular instrument. Don’t be afraid to experiment.

Participant

My husband and I were in Florida last week and had the chance to stop at the Fiddlerman showroom in Pompano beach,   We met the owners daughter and her boyfriend,   they even gave us a tour of their  new building, they just moved in and are still unpacking, If you ever get to Pompano beach, it is well worth the stop!

Participant

My husband and I were in Florida last week and had the chance to stop at the Fiddlerman showroom in Pompano beach,   We met the owners daughter and her boyfriend,   they even gave us a tour of their  new building, they just moved in and are still unpacking, If you ever get to Pompano beach, it is well worth the stop!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.