Stuck on a passage

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 month ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Don’t know why I can’t seem to decode this little double stop passage at ~2:40, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh my gosh that is really beautiful!  The whole thing is pretty complicated, lines going in different directions, etc.  Is it in B-flat, or am I seeing that wrong…the guitar, etc.?  Have you worked out the rest of it, Dave?  This would be a great lesson…lol. Tough one.  Beautiful.  Reminds me of all the stuff in Gardenia Waltz or Maiden’s Prayer…these lessons on here…it’s so hard to make that kinda stuff sound as beautiful as this feller here is doing. I know you’re good at playing that style, Dave…i hope you get it figured out and play it for us before long.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I believe I posted me playing this tune last Winter…But I have plans of re-recording several things I’ve posted to check for improvement or disintegration.

Yes it is in Bb…I’ve been working quite a bit in Bb and F this last year.

I sort of learned my version between this and a Kenny Baker recording.

The song isn’t as hard as it might look really (except of course for all the double stops…hehe

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Can’t get any help from the song book because it’s written in Ab.  To do what Blaine is doing, at that level, you need to practice corded scales, and double stop runs like in the Carol Wheeler fiddle warm ups book.  They will get you there…it’s amazing.

If you can do the math on the cords this book would help figure them out.  It’s got a hundred pages of cords. (click on the thumbnail for full size)

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

The problem isn’t so much not being able to figure out things…it’s more that I can’t seem to hear what he’s doing clearly, and can’t pick out the notes

Hakan Lindholm
    Participant

I find an application called “Transcribe” from Seventhstrings very useful when I am trying to analyse audio music. There are plenty of slow downer apps out there.  The special thing about “Transcribe” is that it has some very useful tools to aid when trying to hear and analyse what is being played.

One of the most useful tool is the graphical “selection” just to mark up the specific passage one wants to analyse and make it play repeatedly over that passage with various slow down speeds until one can hear the notes or can play along to find each single note and have them match. I find the selection tool very useful. It can reduce the selection down to cover a single note in time and to have that repeated until I have found it on the fiddle and written it down. Another useful tool is for analysing rythm and timing, one can mark upp the song with each beat and bar to get beat markers and bars over the song/selection. This simplifies when trying to find out the length of the notes and rythm pattern. It also suggests the notes and frequensies as well as provide the slowed down videos if it is a video file with music that is played. It also have some filter function to help extract the notes.

A full version is available for a 30 days trial.

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/reviews.html

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

thanks Hakan!

took me 3 hours two computers and several softwares to get the lick to loop in Transcribe but it did work nice.

I found the note thing to be useless, but the fidelity is better than in ASD…

I believe I have it figured out now…not sure if it’s how Blaine did it, but I think it will fit!

sloppy & out of tune but it’s close…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Great job, Dave!  Sounds pretty good to me…I wish I could do that kinda stuff…maybe someday…guess I’ll need to practice…lol.  Anyway, very good…you got it…sounds nice.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks Peggy…Hearing the notes clearly made it fairly easy to figure out…it’s just hard for me to play now…haha

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Thanks for putting that song up Dave.  That group did a great job and it will definitely be on my list.  I don’t think I’ll attempt to duplicate all of their cords exactly as they did it though.  As long as the harmony sounds good with the melody, I don’t think I”ll worry about it, unless a particular stop has a special sound I can’t do without.  There’s usually an intuitive double stop that works fine, but sometimes there’s  a special one you have to have.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Here is Kenny Baker doing it in 1976.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

You’re welcome Roger.

Having different choices on how to play things makes it an adventure.

I wanted this passage mostly because I hear possibilities of other places it could be used.  Also, I just liked the lick and couldn’t leave it alone until I found it…haha.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

YEs, that’s the best part…some licks are so cool and then when applied in other places they are new and fresh.

Angela
    Participant

Nice work Dave. Beautiful song but tough!!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks Angela!

Once you get into it this is really not a high difficulty song, but it does have a couple spots that challenged me for sure.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Dave that’s a great version. I’m attaching my take on the lick…

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Cool,thanks John!

I like how yours has the economy of movement in the hand…easier to do quicker when needed. (and happens to be the way Blaine played it )

I had considered using the Last two DS you wrote, but ended up with lower thing I did.

Kind of have to whip myself into hitting that double open string though, even with it being way easier than changing strings with two fingers at once. If i thought more like a real fiddler I’d have probably gone to the open strings right away, but for some reason I have the need to hear a leading tone on that  beat.

ha, now I have two ways to do it!

Just don’t know why I make things so hard to do in the first place…grrrr

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Windows doesn’t give you an option to ‘print’ out that lick.  What you have to do is right click on it and choose ‘open in new window’.  When in the new window it gives you the option to print it out.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

This piece has some complex stuff going on in the psychology of the effects of the cords leading the feelings of the listener into the next cords.  I just read a fascinating article on that topic.  One point, among many, is how ‘silence’ can be used to great effect.  I see that in Blaines rendition, where he plays the first phrase and then there is a sustained hold of several beats, and at exactly 0:55 one beat of silence.  The cords leading up to that set a mood and the beat controls the timing of the mood, so the listener feels very comfortable knowing when everything will develop.  The beat of silence gives you a chance to take a breath and absorb it all before the next phrase.

From there on, Blaine seems to be a little uncertain what to do with that point when it comes around again each time, and he has a tendency to want to fill it in with some ornamentation.  When Kenny plays it, he seems to exploit the effects of the cord so carefully that he can use that silent beat to more effect, but he certainly uses a lot of ornamentation to great effect.  Too complex for me to analyze, I just know there’s a lot going on and I wish I really did understand more of it.  I do know that the player has to take the time to feel it out when playing it.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

There’s a lot of difference in playing live and recoding in a studio also.

Studio recordings arguably consist more of rehearsed material, where live settings may tend toward more improvisation.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

So true….I really enjoy Blaine’s video because of how authentic it is…you can see the impromptu…having fun.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Those are some good observations, Rodger and Dave. Blaine is an amazing fiddler and his licks do deserve to be analyzed!

The lick where two open strings are played is admittedly a lazy lick, but it still works, and makes the transition so much easier!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in