Style…yep, just style…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Style…yep, just style…

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wondering about this.  Let me start by boring the daylights out of you with an old story from back in the old days in SE KY.  We were good friends with a portrait artist…he was so good he was featured many times on our PBS stations, in art journals, his work is across the country in various galleries and museums.  He’s good…but he was always pretty broke…I mean…he’s up there with very good artists, but he could barely afford to keep buying the stuff to do his paintings.  He painted all the time.  We always had lots of potlucks and jamming and get-togethers among friends and community in general, and he would always show up with sketch pad in hand, pencil, and run around doing portraits-on-the-fly of everybody there to keep up with his practice.  That always made me as nervous as cameras do today…lol.  Anyway, we would sit up late at night, our friends, him included, while our kids would all be laid across somebody’s bed, sleeping, waiting for the get-tgether to break up and be dragged home to their own beds…we talked about everything under the sun… music, logic, ginsinging, fishing, art, gardening, etc.  He was big into color in general…and I learned so much from his discussion about color.  Anyway, one time he told me he does do studies for his oil paintings (and he never let anybody watch him work, so he just had to tell us about it) in watercolor, pastel, charcoal, etc., but stuck with oils only and also a little conte crayon here and there for his finished work. He said he did that other wise he would feel too scattered and diluted, having too many  things running through his mind while he concentrated on oils as a finished product…same with technique…his technique was tiny brush strokes and realism…he couldn’t stray…I mean he could, but it was that dilution of style that he wanted to steer clear…he wanted the most intense oil paintings he could come up with.

Music…how does idea this apply…does it?

Angela
    Participant

Well, yes, I think so.  I’ve heard very few fiddlers who can REALLY nail more than one style….C and W; BG; Irish; Celtic; Old Time, Texas contest, etc…..

The other styles creep in.  So, I think it definitely applies.  The best fiddlers of any style seem to focus on that specific style.  At least, that’s what I have observed in my humble two cents.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Angela.  Here’s another question…if you concentrate on one instrument, what effect can it have on another instrument…can your mind stretch far enough out there to play, let’s say, classical harpsichord and Bluegrass slap bass, for instance?  Will not only the musical style differences, but the instrument differences, or personal influences defining your own style…will those things become diluted, so to speak?  Or yeah…back to just fiddling…I’ve heard old timers (from back in the 70s) say that Texas style fiddling crept into the scene and greatly affected old time fiddling…caused changes to occur that they were seeing in their younger generations at that time.  Some might say, “So what?”  That’s a legitimate question too, I guess…but I just wonder.  I guess really, I think of our old friend, who is still an artist, and the same artist he ever was…doing things the same way…and I think of my own bumbling attempts to be in touch with my own music…and wonder if I’m focusing as well as I could be, or if I’m making things worse for my efforts.  But in general, not just our friend or my amateur fumblings … just wondering about this sorta stuff.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Here’s what happened to me.  I had some time…went downstairs to the Presonus…thought to myself…”What shall I play?”  Decided to do Open up Them Pearly Gates.  I’ve played and sang it for 40 years or more…at events, etc., funny little light-hearted tune.  I’d only heard Doc Watson do it, flat picking style as only Doc can, but being a thumbpicker, I naturally went that direction and always did it that way, just in my own “style.”  So I did it on the Presonus…but my style I’ve always played it like would not happen on the Presonus…it’s a long story why, but I went over each track two or three times and re-did the whole thing a couple of times…I really didn’t like it.  I mean, the picking was ok…singing ok, but it just wasn’t me.  I woulda liked it coming from somebody else.  So…a few wasted hours…can’t use it…can’t get me on Open up them Pearly Gates on Presonus….long story…I’m cooking pork chops and stir fry, so I can’t go into great detail or I’ll burn supper.  Consider yourself lucky…lol.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I ended up putting the doggone thing onto youtube anyway…not happy at all with it.

Something wrong about the tempo, rhythm, picking style, harmony, mix, and vocals…inn other words, the entire thing…lol.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, I like it. It’s very cool

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Gunnar.  It’s not really the way I normally do it…I think it’s the metronome on the Presonus that sometimes gets me going in a weird way that I can’t control…lol.  Or something like that happens sometimes.

Angela
    Participant

I liked that! Played for my husband too. 😊 great guitar picking

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket/Peggy , love all these silly fun tunes ! nice

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Angela and hubby and Steve.  I should just do it on youtube without the Presonus one day…just play it and sing it like I always used to do. If I had a sitting audience, like for some church potluck or something like that, I’d divide up the room into two groups and stop the song a lot and have them stand up and accuse the other of having drank up the raspberry squeezin’s and the keg of gin, or having eaten stolen chicken pie…pointing the finger and singing the open up them pearly gates chorus to each other…finally…they all make up and fogive each other and stand up and clap and sing the chorus a couple of times together.  It used to be really fun to do it that way…it’s been a good 35 years since I’ve done it…lol.  Now, get me on that Presonus with the metronome dictating my scratch track, which I do for fear of speeding up or changing tempo on a recording…anyway, that metronome gets me to picking out-of-control…I mean, it just all goes weirdly wacky…lol.  Oh well.  That’s life on a Presonus machine…lol.  All I can do is stay bewildered, amused, confused, and laugh about it.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by cricket cricket.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Very enjoyable, Cricket. As always, wonderful singing and picking.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Fred.  It’s a fun little song.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.