Sweet tater day

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 1 month ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Baking up all my sweet taters today…I just got them all cured, and my new, lazy way of living,..I bake them all up in one day….mash them and put them in the freezer.  Then I make sweet tater muffins usually up until next years sweet taters are ready…I have one more baggie of frozen, mashed sweet tater left from last year in the freezer right now…perfect timing.  Although this was not the best year for sweet taters…didn’t get as many as I usually do…I think maybe too cool and wet all summer.  I do the same with pumpkin…one day soon I’ll do that…then…horseradish making Day… I do that job outside only…it’s like tear gas…lol…my poor ol freezers are stuffed…but I guess we’ll have plenty to eat this year!  It’s a cold day ( relative to what we’ve had) and the baking sweet taters make the house smell good !

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Love sweet taters .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We do too…my grandson does flips over them.  But for the past couple of years I just cook them and freeze them and use them for breakfast muffins, mainly.  I grow the orange ones, purple ones, and the yellow ones…we love them all.  You can also eat the leaves in stir fries, etc., (unlike regular potatoes, which have poisonous leaves because they’re in a different family), which I think makes the sweet potato as one if the world’s most economic crop…easy to grow and you can eat the whole plant.  I personally don’t care for the taste of the leaves, but once in a while I throw them into a stir fry.  Then the strangely-shaped or too skinny sweet taters I cure along with the others, but instead of cooking them, I save them for starting the new sweet tater crop in the springtime…can’t loose…buy one sweet potato in your whole life, and get a lifetime supply! Overlooked treasure.  Our goats used to love the vines and leaves once we pulled up the sweet taters…now I throw them down the hill for the deer, which are overpopulated all I’ve the place…lol…stilll, I hate to think of anybody or anything going hungry.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That sounds great! I haven’t had time for a garden this year. 🙁  We have just been too busy. Potatoes would be really easy though, considering our climate. You are making me wish I had something growing out there!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sometimes life gets too busy for it…it just happens.  You’re just too busy!  But there’s next year! Buy a good looking sweet tater about in March…set it in a jar of water and get your slips going. If you stay as busy as you are now, you better write it on your calendar so you don’t forget!  Last year when I was trying so hard to finish up that crazy ol opera music I started everything growing but pretty much neglected all of it…we still got some stuff, but we got tremendous amounts of weeds and hungry bugs!  I’ve gotten to where my gardening is lazier and lazier, though…last year when I cut up a tomato of one kind or another, I threw the tops I cut off outside where I figured I’d like a tomato this year…I saved a few seeds but didn’t really grow them…fast forward to this year…I had various types of tomato plants verywhere…I transplanted some, dug up some and gave them to neighbors…whatever…I can’t kill a tomato plant…we had more tomatoes than I knew what to do with this year.  My daughter did that with pumpkins, tried with her okra but the okra didn’t cone up on its own, for sone reason…I’m wondering if critters ate the ripened seeds or something.  But anyway…I’m now lazy enough to try to figure out how the plants can cone up on their own and take care of themselves…next I gotta get them to jump off their stems and hop into the freezer.  I freeze everything now too…too lazy to can.  I’m waiting for home freeze dryers to improve…they have them now, but they’re big, klunky, expensive…but I’m thinking they’ll get smaller and more affordable sooner or later…gonna get one if those if that ever happens.  Lazy is the way to go…lol!  I’m getting to be an expert at laziness!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well Cricket, for me the last few days it’s been hauling firewood.  This is just for the fireplace, & it won’t last all winter.  I haven’t started to cut wood for the cookstove yet.  The second picture is what I have still on the truck & trailer to unload.  The third is a unprocessed picture of a sunrise a few weeks ago.  I know you can create pictures like that in Photoshop, but this is straight out of the camera with just a very lite unsharp mask.  It felt like I was standing in Heaven, and I really mean that.  Never in my life have I experienced a sky like this. (well, it posted them in reverse order) If you click on the picture it will bring up a larger size.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Pretty country , I live in Arkansas and I have about 12 large ricks split and ready to go and the winters are not bad here so more than I need for this coming winter I feel for you wood is hard work . But there’s no heat like wood heat feels to your bones .

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

We don’t have hard wood here, so we go through it like crazy.  For the fireplace, this wood with a touch of rot makes really beautiful flames.  Some birch you can see.  I cook meat in the fireplace, & the white poplar has a great taste to the meat.  This wood is nothing like what you have back east, but it’s what we have, and I could get the truck in to load.  Is it 4 ricks to the cord Steve?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

The measure is 4x4x8 for a chord so mine is three rick to a chord and your right about hard wood mine is mostly Oak and hickory . I spent a few years in Montana and it was larch we tried to get but poplar and birch also .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Beautiful pictures, Rodger!  Hope you get enough for your cooking and to stay warm. Yep…we used to have to cut the trees down with a two-man cross cut, drag the logs home and cut them with a smaller two man cross cut, split with an old axe and then with the hatchet…for cooking, heat, etc.  Seems no matter how much we got it was never enough.  We used whatever wood we could find…always hoping for shag bark hickory, but we’d use oak, ash, beech, walnut, apple…at times we had to use pine…messy and burns up fast.  Once we got a bunch of elm, no good for burning, but we laid it out like a grate and put coal chunks on top of it…that worked out good.  We got that coal from a train derailment…but when we lived out across from a strip pit and just could pick it up off the roads from where the trucks were overloaded.  Anyway, Osage orange is a great burning wood too…besides pretty…it makes fireworks inside your house…gotta watch for flying sparks, but it was always fun to watch.  Anyway…no I’ve never been warm since we quit heating with wood, but then, we never got central heat put into this old damp cold house either, so,..who knows…I’d like to get a small wood stove in here like they make for sailboats…we don’t have room for a wood stove in here now.  We did have one but took it out to build a bathroom and needed that space. Anyway…it’s cold here today, but I’ve been baking pumpkins to mash and put into the freezer for the year, all day long…so, it’s feeling pretty warm in here by now!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Grandad used to take me for walks down the railroad track to pick up coal from falling off the trains.  We lived close to a hub where they filled up and there was always those (we had a name for them that escapes me now).  We had the best coal in the world & a lot of it was sent to Europe to make special steel & stuff.  So just what you could pick up & carry home was worth it for using at home.  Actually we had a name for just about any size of piece or kind of coal imaginable.  It was a art banking up fires for the night or setting a hot morning fire, etc.  with coal, and you could explain or ask for anything you needed in that shovel with words I haven’t heard since I left home.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I remember it was clinkers that you took back out of the stove, but I know the coal was called one thing or another, but don’t remember either.  You could get all kinds and sizes.  We had a dog that ate coal…lol…I think I already told about that on here.  Molly the beagle always ate the coal.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

In New Mexico we burned cow chips and mesquite

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Did that smell ok, Steve?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Dry climate they don’t smell unless they get wet , which gives a new meaning to keep your kindling dry . haha

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Haha…I’ll bet!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

What a glorious sky! That is amazing. Also, the new fence looks great! Glad you have a load of wood to work through. I noticed a good stack in your Amelia’s Waltz video.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

But if it’s not hardwood…won’t last long, but I hope it does get you through, Rodger!  Y’all need some hickory up there!  Once I burned the ketchup I was making because I stoked the fire not realizing it had hickory wood in it…lol.  Anyway…I’m gonna go start some Presonus hours before doing a buncha other stuff…gotta bake another pumpkin…one that had wooden paws and ears and eyes poked into it for Hallloween…I’m bettin I’ll burn that, all because of the Oresonus….although…I’m gonna try my best not to let that happen….lol…but…I know how it goes.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I’ve got three Cds together now, but the bad stuff on them will either have to stay or else I just scrap the entire idea.  I messed up some in other ways…some that I tried to fix I either played worse stuff, accidentally deleted the good parts, or technologically messed everything up…so,..all that mess will be on my CDs…lol.  It’s a doggone shame that I can’t put up Angelina the Baker or Catfish John.  I found Angeline tracks, but it has some tempo problems…tried to fix it but I cannot figure out how I was playing that fiddle part…I kept tuning the fiddle every way I know how to catch the notes like I had them…just can’t figure out what I was doing, so I can’t go through and fix it.  It’s gonna have to stay out of the CD project, although I felt like some if my best ideas, not playing, but ideas, were there, and being such a disorganized mess that I seem to be…it’s always a one-shot deal for me.  I can’t go back because I can’t figure out how I did all if that…can’t let it on the CD because the tempo problems are too…you know, bad.  That’s easy to do…to messs up the tempo on multiple tracks.  I think I’m starting to get a method of dealing with that down better by now, but…not sure.  Anyway…same with Catfish John…I can’t put it in because I can’t fix it.  The others I fixed might be worse now than before they were fixed, but they went on the CDs anyway…it’s all such a mess.  But I think I learned one thing:  stop hurrying…make the recordings and if other stuff happens before I’ve got it done, stop and go back to it later.  I’m in a big rush…never a good idea.  So…well I’ll try to listen to those CDs sometime and see if I should bother copying those things or just forget it and go on from here.  I didn’t burn the pumpkin though…so Buttons and Cricket will get some pumpkin bread all winter!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update! I took a cue from you and I’m helping my middle daughter Lorien create a YouTube channel where she will write tribute songs to her favorite books. Sounds eclectic, but it’s something she is excited about. Thank you for the inspiration!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…sounds like master’s degree level work, at least, maybe even PhD stuff.  She might be able to use that in her higher education. And very interesting! I hope we can get a link to her YouTube site!  My daughter would love to follow that too.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

She hasn’t created the site yet, but is busy writing music. Here is her first video; a song she wrote called “Story Book.” I’ll let you know when the site is up! Lorien is playing piano, and her older sister Arwen is doing all the other instrumentation.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Wow! That is really good!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Very nice

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gee whiz…that’s so good!  Her voice is awesome…the instruments all sound good and great photography.  Kinda reminds me of a series if videos Annie used to get from the library when Roro was a baby…this woman whose kids were deaf made signing videos for hearing kids to learn to help mainstream signing, really so her kids could have more people to communicate, etc.  Anyway…the idea was that babies, such as Roro, who learned to sign would learn to talk faster and easier, plus know some signing so that deaf kids could communicate with hearing kids…and she wrote songs and signed her way through them, etc. Long story…what else would you expect from me?  Anyway…the singing and type of song, etc., remind me of that series.  Your daughter sure favors you…looks so much like you.  Her singing and song writing are really advanced…does she plan to do something professional with these kinds of things?  That’s really impressive.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s really cool! She doesn’t have a professional interest, but is having fun writing book-themed songs. It is a creative outlet.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well she’s at least as good, if not better, than people putting professional stuff out there.  Seems the book themes, like the signing videos, might be sellable to schools, libraries, etc., after she gets a bunch…but I know everybody needs to be encouraged to get a ” day job” too, doggone it.  I still think of how great it would be to follow your dream job and earn a living…lol.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in