Syntetic bowhair

This topic contains 33 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 4 months ago.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Howdy

I can’t Find earlier Disqus about the syntetic bowhair. I need to Get adwise and experience how it is.

My dear little Vanja is alergic to Horse and have big problems to follow her intensive  dayly practicetime.

I have asked many here in Norway, but most Are negative to alternativ. So then Ask my fiddle friends instead:)

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Beorrge!  Hi,  sorry to hear about Vanja’s problem with horse hair.  I don’t know much about synthetic bow hair but here is a link to Amazon.    Good to see ya!!

https://www.amazon.com/Herco-HE902-Hervex-Violin-Length/dp/B000EEHMDU

Thanks Rrrrrock, good to see U Too.

I’ll investegate your link.

🤠🎶🎻

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

There is a link here where John demonstrates it I will see if I can find it for you . The following John posted about a year ago there is a video John posted here somewhere . Here’s a link I found on Zarelon hair bows !

https://www.zaretandsonsviolins.com/bows-for-sale/zarelon-bows-for-sale

John Cockman

Keymaster
    You know, I had a really good experience with the Zarelon hair. I would recommend that for a second bow! That way if you are in the rain and your horse hairs fall out, you still have an indestructible bow you can use.

Thank you Steve, I’ll check out your link. 🎶🎻

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Hey I found Johns video review here it is !!!

https://youtu.be/admgcWuVHY8

Here’s the link for the refurbished bow for $50.00 John talks about I think .

https://www.zaretandsonsviolins.com/bows-for-sale/refurbished-zarelon-bows

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting those links, Rock and Steve.

Boerge, I’m sorry to hear about Vanja’s alergy. She may be happy with the Zarelon or some other synthetic.

Today I have ordered 2 hanks of Zarelon and will let Vanja try it out:)

this weekend she at music seminar and having fun.  I helping serve food.

thanks for all help.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Your welcome

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Bought a new carbon fiber bow and like it but it needs rosining  A LOT.  Is this common?   Sound is okay for a short while then, after a few minutes, requires another swabbing with rosin.   Not too sure what kind of hairs it has as I can’t tell the difference but my old cheapies retain rosin a quite a while longer than the CF.   Is this the proper place to ask a question?

Don’t know… but my Libenzeller gold was not good at Helicore, so change to my old cheap one and get good grip. Maybe rosin and string ?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Hey Ruckydoo I am struggling with enough rosin or to much , but if you want to get more rosin into the bow hair , brush it in with a tooth brush re rosin and brush in again as many times as needed , if you draw the bow hair across your thumb nail and it leaves a clearly defined mark on your thumb nail then its loaded , Brushing it in will make it last a lot longer

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Boerge & Steve

Thanks to you lads for the tips!   Carry a tooth brush  is my fiddle box for reasons like that but… hadn’t used it.   Tried it and sound improved and I haven’t rerosined yet after playing for hours this AM.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Yes Ruckydoo  I think the rosin burns /melts or cakes to the bow hair kind of like it does on the violin strings and brushing it out helps !

Next week Peter Pots in Oslo will rehair Vanja and mine bow with Zarelon. Mine Blue as bluegrass Vanja std. White cause her orcestra and classical play.

Peter Zaret have linket tips to luthiers so Peter Pots will Get all tips he need to do the change.

I am really exciting to try out and will come back after the rehair.

Happy fiddler weekend

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Good luck I will be looking forward to your review !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Boerge, I hope it works great. I’ve been happy with my Zarelon hair.

Picture of my bow at Luthier Peter Pots desk. He was impressed

Sorry Picture not upload from cellphone

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s great! Hey if you want to email me the picture of your bow, I will upload and attach it for you.

john@bluegrassdaddy.com

Send to you John

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Here it is! Now I know why you said Blue for Bluegrass. That’s really cool!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Here’s all the different colors ! They also have white LOL

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s really fun! I’d say I’d get green next time, but I don’t know if there will be a next time. They last forever!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

John that’s what I was thinking green to go with the Andrea A Piacere rosin Ha !

Vera want pink, she more like folkmusic like me… I said when she start practice good she will Get pink Zarelon.

I tried yesterday around 1 hour and I have to say Wow… bite good, could not break a hair even tried hard. My trills become more clear, sound clear and nice, but little Harder then natural hair.

Come back after used the Zarelon few weeks, but as so fare pretty satisfied and feel it’s worth every $

John I will send you a pick from yesterday, at coulture school practice Wedding march and Mardigras Song

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Boerge, here’s the picture you sent. It looks awesome!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The colors look neat.  I’m all for synthetic bow hair, if it lasts longer and could be cheaper and plays ok.  I have a weird bow I bought a few years back called an incredibow.  Don’t know if I ever mentioned it here…it’s the one I’ve used to bow my guitar when I’ve had to do that. It’s all synthetic stuff…no wood, no hair…it’s made so that you never tighten or loosen, and it arches out the opposite way from regular bows.  I like how it plays ok, but two things I’m not so crazy about…one, since you can’t adjust th3 tension, it feels tightened too much for me…the other, it doesn’t exactly have a frog, so the way I hold the bow ( probably all wrong), it gets uncomfortable in m6 hand after a few minutes.  But it’s supposed to be very durable and last at least four years of consistent playing.  One of these days I should use it in a YouTube to show it off, if my iPad holds up and let’s me do that, and if there’s time, etc.! For all of that.  Anybody else have an incredibow?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

JUst found their website…hmmm…they had stopped production for a while, but looks like they are back in business.  I’m tempted to try to switch over, get used to them, because I buy cheapie bows and the hair rips out easily, then I’m stuck with a house full of ratty, unusable bows and one or two cheapies in use at a time.  The ruggedness of the incredibow appeals to me, especially since I never found local music stores that carry fiddling supplies and I get tired of having to order stuff.

http://www.incredibow.com

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by cricket cricket.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, I remember when you first mentioned your incredibow. I’m glad to hear it is working out! I guess not having to include a tension adjustor makes it even cheaper.

Still happy with my blue bowhair….. couldn’t break any… I tried hard as possible to do, but They survivle 🙂

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

So how does it compare to horse hair on ease to play double stops !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m all for synthetic bow hair.  I’ve had so many bows that just start breaking immediately…I’m on a low budget, so I figure it’s easier to replace worn cheapie bows with other cheapie bows…as a result I’ve got a lot of no good bows in various conditions.  Mike bought some synthetic bow hair and one of these days if there’s ever time he’s gonna try to rehair one of those bows.  My first incredibow, synthetic hair, stick, everything, has lasted several years now with all the hairs intact.  It does have a slightly different sound, but to my ear it records better than the cheap horsehair bows…of course, cheap horse hair bows might have the wrong type of horse hair too.  Still…as much as people cling to tradition, I think sometimes there are modern solutions that are more practical.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I have a bow with synthetic hair which lasts and lasts and lasts. It’s not my favorite but then again it’s probably the cheapest. As far as I know I’ve never broken a hair on it, which is saying a lot. I am really hard on bows.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Boerge, it’s great to hear from you. I’m glad the blue bow is still going strong!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in