Tennessee Waltz

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Gunnar Salyer Gunnar Salyer 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

The locals like to play the Tennessee Waltz in the key of D.  I thought I  would take the tabs for John’s intermediate version and move everything higher, starting on the D and A strings instead of the G and D strings, but immediately ran into trouble on the 3rd measure and again starting on measure 17.  I ran out of strings to convert the tabs. (can’t go any higher than the E string.

measure 3  

Any ideas on how to play this intermediate version in D?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Good question, Kenny. To transpose to D raise all but the high chorus a fifth. In that first line, just omit the double stop on the E string. For the high part of the chorus, drop it down a fourth.

I have updated the sheet music page with the advanced version of Tennessee Waltz in D, along with some MP3s so you can compare the A and D versions.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Thanks John,

I have already started to work on this song.  Thanks for the updates.  I understand the 5ths. I will have to study the fourths and how they work.
    This has been a great exercise in learning.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Kenny I am working on this one too , only I am playing it in A because I can sing it there ! G and D do not fit my voice , So I had John do the A for me !

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I learned this song a long time ago in D.  At our local jam the sax player (yes, sax!) started playing it in G, which is an easy switch from D, just drop down a string.  Then I discovered I sing it in G, so it’s become a “standard” for us….

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

I’ll try to learn in it in both keys.  I have been working with double stops and my 4th finger for about 2 months now.  I can now play the 4th finger and the 3rd finger on the string below.  It is slow placing the fingers yet , but it is clear. I also added what I believe is a fifth to the change John made going into the key of D.   This keeps a double stop in this part.
    This sounds good to me.  What do yo think of adding the 5th here?

John, These are some great harmonies you added.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Instead of playing as written below, if I decided to move into 3rd position on the chorus on the 3rd note being E, but playing the E note on the A string,
    Would I use my second finger on the A string E note? Or should I slide into 3rd position on the D note with the first finger and use the second finger to play the E note? Then I would have to figure out how much to play in 3rd position before sliding back into first position.Key of D Tennessee Waltz

This tune has me thinking and trying different ways to play it.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Kenny Kenny.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Kenny , I can’t wait to hear you play it in the lions den !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Give him a chance to wake up first…😉

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

John plays his fiddle in his sleep , I though Kenny did too ! remember the Chinese breakdown !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I agree with Steve…sleep is over-rated…fiddling will energize the weary!

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

I think I am playing in my sleep.  I wake up thinking about the tunes, keeping my bow hold loose, double stops and I can’t wait to practice.  I listen to tunes before going to bed, hoping that maybe through buy robaxin uk http://beautygoesdigital.com/tag/social-media/ osmosis I will be able to play the tune when I wake up.

Note:  Quote by unknown author,

“A common misconception is that learning is primarily absorbing information, a kind of “learning by osmosis”. But here’s the truth about studying: it’s work”.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Long hard mind bogglingly tedious work! Just like piano or music theory. Or worse, both put together! I’m taking piano theory lessons, which is why I bring it up. It’s WORK!!!!!! Keep working y’all, it is worth it, even though my head explodes each week at my lesson. Now ‘scuse me, I’m going to sleep, cuz it AIN’T overrated

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hope Gunnar got some sleep…it’ll give his ankle the chance to rest.  I can’twait to hear Kenny play TN Waltz.   Kenny, I often dream music too…I hope it’s helping me…lol…but not sure if it does or not…more like tormenting me in my sleep…lol.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I never look at playing as work unless I’m preparing for a show and have to learn a lot of material in a short time.

As for playing/practice/learning in general it is an adventure, a slight obsession, and one of the larger pleasures in my life.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Well said Dave.  It is a pleasure to be able to play music.

Gunnar, I’ve always heard that if you are to major in music you have to take piano.  It gives you the basis for all music.  I’m so glad I had the little bit of theory that I had.

Cricket, even if dreaming doesn’t help the playing I have sweet dreams and not nightmares.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s a good thing, Kenny!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Yeah, and one of my goals is to one day support myself as a musician, so learning piano is a definite necessity. plus, everyone has a piano, cuz it’s fashionable, so it’s good to know how to play one, cuz then you can play almost anywhere you go. I did get some sleep, and my ankle is recovering, but I’m off topic. I agree with Dave about music being a privilege an obsession and a great pleasure, when doing it for personal amusement, but when someone is giving you free piano lessons, you definitely feel compelled to complete your assignments, which isn’t easy when all you want to do is hang out on forums and binge watch Sierra Hull on youtube. hypothetically, anyway….. off topic again, Tennessee waltz I think is above me right now. don’t tell anyone, but I still haven’t learned to do two finger (closed position) double stops yet.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That is a great quote, Kenny!

1. I love the double stop you added
    2. You could follow the 3rd position instructions for the key of A, but drop it down one string to play it out of D.

Gunnar, I hope you are able to follow your dream!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks, John! I hope so too

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in