Thanksgiving list

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Angela 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Happy thanksgiving everyone! (Well tomorrow, but y’all in the US probably have a long weekend off anyway) I was just thinking it would be cool to have a thread to just express all of our gratitude for everything even if it’s small. I’m very grateful for my (large) family, and the facts that we have a house to sleep (and eat live etc) in, two cars, running water and flushing toilets, I don’t know what the worst toilet conditions y’all have used are, but they probably aren’t as bad as some here. There’s some missionaries that don’t have running water or good toilets, and so that’s something I’m very grateful that I do have. Anyway, my list goes on so far it runs out of site in the distance, but I’ll probably include more later, what are some of the things y’all are grateful for?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good post, Gunnar.  I’m sure conditions can get pretty difficult in some far away places that don’t have all the luxuries.  We have gone without electricity and running water and, well it can get interesting…as long as we had a woodstove and plenty of wood and good health we did ok…at this point…I’ve forgotten my gratitude for these things until you mentioned it.  Thanks for the reminder…I remember how we marveled at turning knobs to stay warm when we first left SE KY and came up here to the northern, more urbanized part of the state…wow…so easy to stay warm.  There are lots of people in the world who don’t have access to enough food, clean water, medicines, etc.  Those of us who have that are very lucky.  I feel lucky too, to have our small family here close to us…not many people, but we are close and spend our adventures surrounded by our loved ones.  Today I’m staying pretty busy making cranberry relish, coleslaw, stuffing, other baking…exciting time.  Friday is my grandson’s opening night in his first professional theater experience…he’s working hard, but having more fun than ever and making new friends, etc., plus pulling in a  very nice paycheck for a little kid.  This has even brought our family closer than ever, watching him apply himself, being in the world on his own and making friends, interacting with all ages, and making decisions, etc.  I’m very grateful for where we all are right now. Wishing you all a very nice Thanksgiving out your way, Gunnar, and all my other friends I’ve made here at Bluegrassdaddy. Thanks for the post, Gunnar…very thoughtful.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

That’s cool, Cricket. I didn’t realize that there were parts of the states without central heating (even Kentucky) it actually reminds me of something funny that happened in 2008 (man time flies when you’re having fun!) We were in the states in 2008 when hurricane ike hit Beaumont Texas and the power and water were down and it was, like, july and 100 Fahrenheit, 150% humidity, and people were saying, “well, y’all are from africa. So y’all are like, used to it” and were like, “ummm… no. In Africa we have electricity, gas stove, running water, and it’s not hot or humid. We are NOT used to it” anyway, just people don’t really realize that we don’t step off the plane into the jaws of a lion. (Were are the rolling eye emojis?! I’ll roll them like my Rs I guess iiiiiiiiiiiiii)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…I mean… 🙄

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Many here in MI still burn wood for heat. No natural gas in rural areas and  propane is just way too expensive.

Holidays usually bring up memories of losing most of my family, my health, and my career, and the nice rural setting we use to have…but I appreciate this thread as a reminder that there are good things to think about also.

I’m grateful to be warm & dry and have my place paid for…and I do have nat. gas…things have been worse.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks Gunnar, for starting this post. I’m thankful for all of you here at BGD. I consider you all to be be family!

Tomorrow we gather at my Grandmother’s house (she is 100 years old and still lives alone since Grandpa passed a few years ago at 97). There will be food and music and aunts and uncles and cousins, and I’m sure we will all express thanks to God who creates and sustains us, and who teaches us to love one another.

God bless you all! I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wishing everyone a nice day today, whether you are with family and friends, or whether you are missing family and friends…praying everyone finds a lot to be thankful for today and beyond.  I’m happy to know everyone here and wish we could be together in person.  But if y’all started playing in Ab or something, I’d probably have to go outside for air…lol.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Today, I’m really grateful for my friends, as some of them are moving away now  😥 we will miss them a lot, but life goes on with those who live it. Anyway I’m very grateful too for my membership to this site, thank you sponsor (I don’t know if you want to be anonymous?) Anyway, goodnight, I’m going to bed now

Angela
    Participant

I have a lot to be thankful for. I am very thankful for music and my fiddles and John and the whole BGD family. After the meal, I got to hang out with some BG friends and pick for awhile. I have all of you to thank for walking with me to this point. 😊❤️🎻

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in