Thanksgiving menu

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Hey guys…well it’s almost the time…I’ve started my cooking.  I just wanted to share one thing we like every Thanksgiving and Christmas…following recipes to me is like following music or tab…I don’t really follow, just use the general idea.  But … you gotta have a food processor for this…if you take let’s say a small bag of cranberries…approximately 4 cups…throw ’em into the processor until they’re pieces of cranberry.  Then peel a couple of oranges…chop them up as small as you can and throw them in the processor for a quick spin…they’ll turn to juice if you don’t stop it soon…add the oranges to the bowl of cranberries…chop up a couple of apples…throw em into the food processor and add them to the bowl.  Throw around a cup or so of pecans or walnuts into the processor…add to the bowl…then add honey to taste, so to speak…I normally end up somewhere between an estimated 1/4 – 1/3 cup of honey…it depends…you need a lot of sour to survive, but enough sweet to make it all pleasant…to further complicate this, the taste evolves as it sits in the fridge…so…I made mine today so that we can have it at its best by Thanksgiving…the sweet/sour, crunch of this is really nice if you can get it right.

Well…I guess we’re all feeling a little crazy from the youtube thing too…my daughter stopped her newest opera thing…we barely got a start, feelin g like we learned from the first one how to do better…but she’s feeling like there’s not much use to working on all of that for a year or longer and just have it sit idly on her computer unitl the computer finally crashes and loses it all…lol…same way I feel about mine.

And since we seem to live in an area where we have never learned to connect with people…well, the opportunites seem to be disappearing to enjoy working on projects we love to do.  Let’s all hope Youtube either makes their new rules specific enough for us to understand how to be compliant without ruining our channels, or changes their mind.  it would be easy for them to require anybody to do a login to watch videos…sign a thing saying you’re over 13…then have youtubes available only to anybody who logged in.  That sounds easy…doesn’t it?  But what they’ve done sound like a huge mess.

Anyway, the cranberry relish will hopefully make it all better.  Anybody else got some fresh, healthy ideas for Thanksgiving Dinner?  We usually do a baked chicken, since there are only the 5 of us…I make stuffing, which I won’t eat this year, having given up grains…daughter makes pies grain free of course…I make the colesaw (yeah I do make the best cole slaw in the whole world) and usually cook green beans.  I think we all gave up taters since last year…so we’ll skip those.

But hope everybody has a happy holiday and I hope everybody can realize and appreciate all the things to be thankful for.  I sincerely hope everybody has plenty to be thankful for.

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

I pretty much only eat mashed potatoes and gravy, meat (chicken or pork usually, but occasionally someone brings a Turkey) and buttered bread. And I’m incredibly thankful for so many things not least of which this site!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well we all loved our mashed taters but I gave up any starches that consist of polysaccharides in Jan, 2019…so…unfortunately that includes grains, breads, and TATERS….Aghhhhh…but we loved to make tater cakes out of the leftovers…that’s such good eatin’, right there.  Mashed tater cakes…yum!  Do you guys do that, Gunnar?

Yes this is a great site and I have loved it so much!  An icing-on-the-cake thing to be very thankful for.

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

We almost never have leftovers….. when we do we usually make them into cheesy mashed taters the next day

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Happy Thanksgiving all!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Nice little turkey there…I betcha he’s playing Turkey in the Straw!  Or maybe he’s playing Tofurkey in the Straw!

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

Happy early Thanksgiving all.

We’er just having a traditional dinner. Nothing real fancy.But my mouth is salivating for it already.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Have a good one, John.  Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday…lots of memories of a big turkey with oyster stuffing (we used to called it dressing), fried squirrel (never knew why we had to have both squirrel and turkey, but it was good!)…warm fire in the stove and all of my grandparents that we had and even a lot of great-grandparents, etc.  It just feels like family and friends to me.  Christmas never really felt like the same kind of holiday…Thanksgiving is the big one.  Enjoy!

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

From Itzhak Perlman’s Facebook page

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

From Itzhak Perlman’s Facebook page

cricketcricket
    Participant

Lol.  Happy Thanksgiving!

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

I like that chilling bird. Mine is in a hot tub right now.

Happy Thanksgiving

cricketcricket
    Participant

Better watch that temperature in that hot tub!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.