The Ash Grove

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by John (BGD) John (BGD) 3 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

A fiddle lesson for the old Welsh song The Ash Grove.

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

Oh thank you! Yesterday ‘Christmas time is coming’ was a little too hard for me, but I can play this one, and with a little practice it might be good enough to play for relatives come Christmas.
    It’s such a beautiful arrangement, I didn’t know this song could sound so pretty!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It is a beautiful song! The words are sad. Someone put out some Christmas lyrics to this tune a few years back but it seemed forced. Even though they aren’t very Christmassy, I like the Ash Grove lyrics.

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Our family farm had an ash grove on it and it was called that because I remembered this gorgeous song.  Bagged my first (and only) deer there and this song brings back other fond memories too.  I certainly appreciate finding this song in your lesson collection and have gone through the first mea. by mea. instruction and can’t wait to hear myself perform it as you do.  I seem to recall learning it by the original lyrics as you sang it too.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

The sentiment reminded me of the fellow that was always standing on the street looking back & forth.  As a kid walking to school this man was a permanent fixture, every morning as I went to school and going home after school.  Year after year.  In recent years I asked Mom about him, and she said his wife died young…he lost touch with reality and spent every day out looking for her!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

That is really sad!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.