The best fiddler I ever heard in my whole life…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? The best fiddler I ever heard in my whole life…

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by fiddliferous1950 fiddliferous1950 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

This feller here, John Morris, of Clay Co., WV, is the best fiddler I have ever heard.  I met him once at a jam he led in West Va.  I’m not much of a traveler, but we ran over there one year to attend his jam at the Vandalia Gathering and we talked a little bit with him afterward…wow…nice guy and such a great fiddler.  Anyway…I’ve had it in my head for a while to play Sugar in the Gourd…having all those gourds waiting to be made into fiddles, growing outside (lol…probably won’t work…maybe they’ll be birdhouses), anyway…I heard him play it a few times, plus in his jam…and…well I just can’t play it after hearing him.  I mean…he’s got the whole spirit in there and I can’t get ahold of it.  I’ve listened to many other fiddlers do it, and I’m sorry, but they just don’t get the spirit of it like John Morris.  Not sure if I can ever bring myself to play it.  Here’s how he does it…tell me what you think…is this excellent old time fiddling?  Also, the dancer is great.  This is so rich…I just feel like I can’t touch it.

https://youtu.be/MDwXsNxegEY

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I guess really I’m saying he sorta paid for that tune with such perfect fiddling on it, so it belongs to him…lol.  I just can’t bring myself to play it…but one of these days I might try.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Wow, great fiddling and dancing! He is amazing. Thanks for posting!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Some 501c3 organization “hired” him to play through a Kentucky coal documentary…used his awesome fiddling throughout, then never paid him and paid somebody else who put one tune on and used his name only, left mention of John Morris out…pretty bad treatment, this guy has gotten.  He’s never made a CD or anything…you just have to get to WV to see him or know about him. Thank goodness for youtube, in recent years he has been put onto youtube quite a bit, here and there.  I first heard him through Dwight Diller, the WV banjo player.  A lot of the world ignores some of these folks, but they are really the current greats of oldtime, in my opinion.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Nice video. Great fiddling. It seems to me that the banjo picker is using the two-finger picking style. I first heard my old friend Don Stover using the 2-finger style way back many long years ago. Thanks for posting. I like this tune. Go ahead and play it Cricket…..it’s calling you……

edit: On closer listening, the banjo picker is using three-finger style….my bad! lol

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in