The best US state

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Just wondering what US state people think is the best.  And why they think it is.

Zazen fiddleZazen fiddle
    Participant

I have not lived in many states nor have I even visited most. I would say that the best “state to be in” is being free to enjoy where ever I am.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I love my home state, and it still has some good qualities.  But between strip mining and mountain top removal, and lots of other stuff like that, there’s a lot of ugliness and pollution now.  I haven’t really lived anywhere except Eastern half of KY, SW Ohio, and East TN…I think, though, I’m thinking now the best state might be Hawaii…lol…warm and beautiful.  They do cool slack key tunings on their guitars out there.  I will probably never go there.  I had a friend in SE KY, when we lived there, who had never been on a plane (I never have and probably never will at this point) but had a chance to go to Hawaii and see her cousin in the military…on the way there, some guy on the plane suddenly had a heart attack…it was mayhem while they tried to help and he died.  He was older, and the plane people got very annoyed that they had to make an unexpected stop in Texas.  She said they put out a tube slide and shoved him down it and then told his wife to go down the slide…well she was pretty old and she refused, so they shoved her down and were ready to get back on the road again, or in the sky again, and get on to their stop before Hawaii…get those passengers on to Hawaii.  Well that traumatized my friend to the point where the whole time in Hawaii she dreaded the plane trip back home.  Once home, she was like…”I’ll never board another airplane.”

Which has nothing to do with anything at all…except, that I don’t know which state would be best to live in…I’d say one that is beautiful and clean, has lots of farming opportunity (plus for Hawaii….they even grow coffee there) and fresh foods available, nice people who live in close-knit communities and respect each other, good music, good weather…yeah…I think that’s Hawaii…but I’ll stick to my old KY home, I guess.

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Couldn’t pick…I’ve met good people wherever I’ve gone, Roads were best & worst in KY, in TX the toxic chemical clouds I could do without, AZ probably was the most unfriendly i my experience, Liked IN, OH, Iowa, didn’t care much for NM, AZ, OK, Loved my time in WV but the sidewalks were black from coal dust in the city, spent some time in WI & IL but wasn’t overly impressed…MI is home and will probably always be; very few places I’ve found that I’d consider moving to.

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

I think every state has its’ good and bad spots.  I’ve been to about ¾ of the states and have found nice areas in all of them.  For me, nice means be able to get away from the big cities and interstates and out into the back roads and small communities. Those are the areas where you find the friendliest people and the best scenery. Being from the north, I love a couple of weeks in Hawaii, but would feel trapped long-term by the inability to travel far and the lack of four distinct seasons. I think it is what you are use to. Each December I long to leave Alaska for awhile, but you couldn’t force me away once the days get a little longer again.  I have enjoyed traveling and working across the U.S., but always feel best when I get back home.  Joe

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Well, I’ve never been out of my home state (Illinois) much. And while I’m viciously loyal, I’m not sure I couldn’t love another state more 😉 my family is from Iowa and it’s fine, but I’m longing to go to Alabama, where my grandparents are from! I’ll go with Illinois for now, but I reserve the right to change at any moment 😉

Great ScottGreat Scott

Thanks for sharing, everyone.

Kaeleigh. I hope you do make it to Alabama.  I’m sure you’d love the South.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Home is where I hang my hat so to speak , I have been around over seas and about all the states , I say where your most happy is what counts !

cricketcricket
    Participant

Good advice, Steve!

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Everyone leaving California ends up in TX…. just saying

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

I want to see Texas, Gunnar! My cousins used to live outside of Dallas.
    Oh, but I want to see Oklahoma too… I’m told all you have to do is compare those two states and you’ll start a fight… 🙂

Great ScottGreat Scott

Alaska is on my ‘places to visit’ list, Joe.  I love nature’s natural beauty and roaming the wilds. Just don’t want to be dinner for a bear.  🙁

Everyone’s leaving California for good reason, Gunnar. I used to love California (San Diego, San Franciso) but they are so different these days to what I loved.

Kaeleigh, Oklahoma? OKLAHOMA?  Oh what a beautiful morning. Oh what a beautiful day, I got a beautiful feelin’ everything’s going my way in Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains and where there’s a bright golden haze on the meadow. Where the corn is as high as an elephant’s eye, but you’ll be able to see it if you ride slowly in your pretty little surrey with the fringe on top.  Have fun! 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

I played banjo in that play once…a long, long time ago…I guess it was around 1984 or so…played guitar and banjo in the orchestra, went to parks all summer performing Oklahoma…got 200 bucks for showing up for about 20 nights…lol.  That’s…200 bucks in all.  Had to borrow a banjo, but I already had a guitar.  Didn’t read music but I could tell what the parts were supposed to sound like, so they took me.  That was in SE KY, so I vote for Southeastern Kentucky as being the best state to play Oklahoma in!  Probably somewhere in Oklahoma there might be somebody doing a musical called, “Kentucky,”…lol…but probably not.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by cricketcricket.
    rodgerrodger
    Participant

Alaska checks off most of the boxes for being the best state….except one.   Fairbanks economy, (and probably Anchorage to some extent,)  depend on the military bases.

This isn’t a bad thing except for one critical point.  Ft. Wainwright army base attracts a lot of losers who get a free ride in the army due to some sort of modern political pandering.  When I say losers, I mean high level criminals that exploit the will of the local politicians to control the State Police to actual protect these criminals and suppress the knowledge of their crimes to prevent any bad press, for if the public knew the truth there would be demands & pressure to remove the base and that would affect the economy.

These criminals include mass murderers and sex predators that prey on the friendly Alaskan population.  I know from tragic, first hand experience involving my family, and my life long best friends family.   The corruption involves high level State Police officials of which I could also name from personal experience.   Of course, the ordinary police officers are good guys and not part of the problem.  But their daily routine was (and probably still is), before they got in their car and went on duty, to go into the firing room in the barracks and and fire a required number of rounds on target, so they would be at peak effectiveness if need be to use their gun.

South Dakota is great for quality of life reasons.  Wyoming, the same if you value freedom.  This is from my personal experience anyway…..

cricketcricket
    Participant

Anywhere where you can grow coffee…lol.  There’s what used to be the state tree here, Kentucky coffee tree…has big “beans,” that supposedly, according to some sources, were used to make into coffee substitute during the civil war…according to other sources, anyone who ever has or ever will try to consume those beans is either dead or will be.  So…I like the tree.  We used to have them in SE KY, but up here I did put a seeding down our hill because I haven’t seen the indgenous state trees anywhere around…the deer won’t let it get any bigger than about 2 ft. tall. KY coffee tree is no longer our state tree…I can’t remember what they switched it to…maybe tulip poplar I think, which is also a misnomer, in that it doesn’t have anything to do with tulips, just flowers that look like ’em.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by cricketcricket.
    MariaRMariaR
    Participant

I love home, but really, I want to travel the world one day.

I want to move to WY or TX where there is some amount of freedom and plenty of clean outdoor air.

cricketcricket
    Participant

We hated having to leave our home in Southeastern Kentucky…we’re still in the same state, opposite ends of the state, but it’s amazing how different life is here than back down home.  I’ll always miss it, miss the nice people and beautiful mountains and rivers…what’s left of them.  Won’t miss the poverty that drove us and so many others out, but my best memories in life are also the souvenir of poverty, i guess you could say.  Happy for how our lives improved up here in so many ways, but I’ll always miss home, and doubt at this point we’ll ever go back.

goettjpgoettjp
    Participant

I travel extensively, living in my horse trailer six months a year…  Illinois is a good place to be FROM, as I am.   I live in TN most of the time, very beautiful, low taxes…. Kentucky is nice.   My kids/grandkids live in north Texas, which is very lake-filled and beautiful.  I was in south Texas last week, and it’s very different… but the people are nice.    Wyoming, Colorado, the Dakotas, all beautiful, but not for 12 months a year.

Currently we are in Arizona for two months…. nice weather, high of 72 most days, no rain, lotsa bike and horse riding….. but I’ve been here in July…. no way I could live here with 110 degree days…

Final vote:  Tennessee.

cricketcricket
    Participant

It’s possible we could end up in E TN because we have the old house my husband grew up in, but other family who went through hard times and needed a place to go are living there now.  We ain’t getting any younger, but if someday we do end up there we’ll have to still be in good enough shape for the life we would lead…heat with wood again, have goats and chickens or something, huge garden and the kind of weather where you grow one thing or another almost all year long, friendly people, beautiful places…etc., etc., etc.  It would have been great to have lived there earlier, at this point we’d need to build sheds, barns, fences, etc.   We’ve done it many times in the past, but scared old age could not allow it by the time we could ever go there.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.