The Chicken and the Ground Hog Discussion

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? The Chicken and the Ground Hog Discussion

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

It’s the time of year when all the leaves are changing colors and the landscape is beautiful around the Ozarks here in North Central Arkansas. Often, in the mornings, I take my wife on long drives while she photographs some of the wondrous beauty there is to behold on the back roads, farm fields, brooks, and rolling hills.

This morning we couldn’t believe our eyes at what we saw. The following is the absolute truth.

We were driving slowly along a back road when we rounded a slight curve with no homes in sight for a quarter mile at least when we saw the craziest thing: There was a chicken in the middle of the road and it was clucking at a ground hog which was just standing at the edge of the road. The two were obviously having a conversation (as only chickens and ground hogs do) as we could hear the chicken clucking at the ground hog.

When they spotted us in our car, the chicken came over to the side of the car where my wife was seated and the ground hog stood still for a few moments before quietly disappearing into the woods on my side of the road all the while the chicken was talking to my wife. She got pictures of the chicken but the ground hog was camera shy and got away before my wife could react.

Who knows what goes on along the back roads when we’re not around to witness it? It’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long while.

I’ve just got to write a fiddle tune about this.

Later on, down the road a bit we saw two different scenes where naked sycamore trees were loaded with roosting vultures. She got pictures of those.

All I can think is:

“Vultures are roosting in the sycamore trees,

Chicken and the ground hog, shooting the breeze”….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…great start to a new tune!  I love seeing weird stuff like that.  You’re right…who knows what-all we miss by not being there!  I can’t wait to hear the Chicken and Groundhog tune! Great lyrics.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I’ve got an idea for the tune itself but here’s the lyrics:

The Chicken and the Ground Hog (a tale of Holly and Dewey)

VERSE:
    The hen left the farm ‘bout a quarter-mile back
    Must be the farmer gave her some flack
    Well she packed up her tack an’ left the ol’ shack
    Met the ground hog on the old tarmac

CHORUS:
    Vultures a roostin’ in the Sycamore trees

Rain drops glistenin’ on the changing leaves

We’ve seen us some things that’s hard to believe

Chicken and the ground hog shootin’ the breeze

VERSE:
    They must a been a chattin’ when we hit the scene
    Ground hog hollered “here comes a limosine
    I’m gonna hit the woods, later we’ll reconvene”
    “Had me fooled, thought you’d seen a wolverine”

(Chorus)

VERSE:
    Lay ya odds when we left that ol’ place
    Chicken and the ground hog met face to face
    Ground hog carried the chicken’s suitcase
    Don’t know where they went but they went someplace

(Chorus)

VERSE:

Farmer knows the chicken’s just bantamweight
    He’s got her eyed for a Sunday dinner plate
    Time to liberate, terminate and relocate
    Chicken and the ground hog headin’ for the interstate

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Frederick Frederick. Reason: added another verse
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…that’s great, Fred!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

We experienced this rare sighting between Holly Springs (not the well-known Holly Springs that’s on the maps, but rather a lone church on Fairfield Rd. near Pangburn) and Dewey; two way-in-the-middle-of-nowhere backwoods places on the back roads of rural Arkansas. So I guess I might as well call the chicken “Holly” and the ground hog “Dewey”. lol

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Frederick Frederick.
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, that’s interesting 😂😂 never know what you might get a good tune out of…

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Great story Fred, and great lyrics. Can’t wait to here the tune. Who knows, fiddlers may be playing The Chicken and the Ground Hog a 100 years from now!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well Fred, it took you coming along to finally solve the dilemma of ‘Why the chicken crossed the road?’  …..to talk to the whistle pig, of course!  So now we know and we can quit asking.  Except, we would like to know what she said?  The ground hog has a special day dedicated to it every year, whereas the lowly chicken is just supposed to lay an egg every day and shut up.  Only then to occupy a special place of honor beside the mashed potatoes and gravy on our Sunday dinner plate.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks Gunnar. It is pretty interesting. 🙂

Thanks Jim. I hope I’m around in 100 years to listen to everyone playing “Chicken and the Ground Hog Shootin’ the Breeze”. ha ha.

Roger, I did get the distinct impression the chicken was complaining to the ground hog about something. Perhaps the farmer had her scheduled for a Sunday dinner plate and she got wind of it and took off down the road. lol

Note: check the last verse where I incorporated your thoughts about the Sunday dinner plate 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Frederick Frederick.
    JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Looking forward to hearing it. Good lyrics. Just the title alone makes me wanna learn it already and sing it.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks John, I’m in the process of composing the melody. I’m trying to find the right fiddle tuning and key. Shouldn’t be too much longer……….. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

…getting more dramatic by the minute!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.