The Clumsy Lover

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Angela
    Participant

i heard an Irish fiddle player play this and really like the tune. Then I heard a BG version on a public piped in music at a park.

Does anybody know any good BG versions of this?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I’ve heard the tune done in the keys of A, G and D, all in Irish style. I haven’t heard it done Bluegrass style yet by any Bluegrassers. There must be someone who has done it……..Another name for it is “The Sloppy Kisser”.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

LOL…I won’t be able to listen to it until I can stop laughing at the title…lol.  I’ve heard some funny fiddle tune titles…that’s about as funny as any I’ve come across.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Yea, sloppy kisser sounds like my dog…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Maybe the tune is about  dog…one thing about our chihuahuas…they dont kiss as sloppy as most other dogs.  Cricket, though, if she gets mad at you, she will spit at you.  Cut her toenails and you’ll get spat upon…lol…I never had a dog that did that before.

Angela
    Participant

Fred…good info.  I’ve looked around for both and still no luck.

I thought The Clumsy Lover just meant the boyfriend tripped a lot.  The alternate title makes me wonder.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

There’s some weird fiddle tunes out there…lol.  Maybe we should just play the music and don’t ask…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I guess he was all thumbs?

OK, I really owe you the music. It’s now available for download on the Sheet Music page!

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/tablature-and-sheet-music/

Not really bluegrass, but it’s the six Neil Dickey reel variations that would sound great with a bluegrass rhythm.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok…let’s hear it on the lion’s den…lol!

Angela
    Participant

Ha. I want to learn some of it. I really like the last variation. I wish I could figure out who was playing the one I heard. It was the last version but down an octave I think.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Tick tock, tick tock…anxiously waitiing!

Angela
    Participant

I’m starting to think what I heard wasn’t really Clumsy Lover but something that sounded sort of like it.  Now I’m really perplexed.  But, I’ll learn Clumsy Lover eventually….don’t hold your breath, Cricket…it’s way down on the priority list right now.  Unfortunately, behind taxes, work, laundry, grocery shopping, band songs….well…you get the idea.  :^D

Angela
    Participant

THE MYSTERY IS SOLVED.

What I heard was not The Clumsy Lover (although I like that song a lot and plan to learn it).  What I heard was Arkansas Hop.  So…I like this one too.  I need to learn it.

And we come full circle to Chaos.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok…I better take a deep breath…lol.  Yep, from clumsy lover, sloppy kisser to Arkansas hop…that’s a skip and a hop for sure…I’m ordering some oxygen!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I don’t think I know that one!

Angela
    Participant

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Nice! Sounds suspiciously like “Boil Them Cabbage Down.”  🙂

Angela
    Participant

I thought it was similar too. In fact, in my quest to figure it out I was wondering if I’d just heard a version of Boil.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Seems most tunes have a few nearly identical cousins…but…doing them is fun because you can work at making them different enough…just have to be careful not to accidentally morph from one while playing the other.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It’s definitely in the same family!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in