The fiddle is laughing

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-september-15-2019-1.5282280/the-fiddle-is-laughing-how-this-teen-and-83-year-old-keep-ti-jean-carignan-s-music-alive-1.5282342

This is a cool article and also listen to the attached audio and video, it reminds me a lot of my predicament always playing music with people four times my age 😂😂 definitely not a bad thing though, and way more productive than going to school with people my age, I can’t learn as much from people my age

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s cool, Gunnar.  I’m kinda surprised about the lack of enthusiasm among Canadians to keep the tradition going, I thought it was just Kentucky…lol.  I honestly think it’s the recording industry and all the commerical music out there now that has taken music from the hands of regular people…now it’s so easy to be entertained by commerically-produced music with its artificialness…they don’t sit around just playing music anymore.  Not meaning to be whining about it here, but I do think that’s what happened.  Cudos to you, and Kaeleigh, and all of your generation who are taking up the torch to carry it through the future…I really think people will be ready to come back to it someday…and hopefully you guys will make sure it’s still there for them.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

That is awesome. I wish more younger people would do that. Now days it seems status on social media is more important than anything else.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

is cudos spelled with a K?  Help me, help me…if it was ever taught to me in school, I must’ve been absent that day…but now having doubts about it.  Too bad they really didn’t have home school when I was growing up…not sure what my mom would’ve been teaching us…lol.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I know, I wish traditional music was more popular, and I always am excited to see other kids who play it (that includes Presley Barker and Carson Peters)

Kudos is spelled with a K

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

My buddy, Carson Peters and me back a few years when he was first learning.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Nice photo, Fred.  Oh gosh I can’t believe I almost wrote Cujo, then…instead of Kudos…Like…I ain’t wishin’ no rabid dog on nobody…hmmm…I hope the double negatives have a positive effect…at least I used Effect instead of Affect…I’d rather be effective than affective…ok…I should quit for now.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

That’s cool that you know him Fred! Cricket, lol, I would’ve taken a cujo too 😂😂😂🐕💩

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Carson can yodel like there’s no tomorrow and he’s a heck of a guitar player, too! 

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Do you still hang out with Yodelin’ Carson these days, Fred?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

No, Cricket. I’m here in Arkansas and Carson lives in eastern Tennessee. I haven’t seen him or picked with him in quite a while now. My good friend, Hunter Berry (fiddle for Rhonda Vincent) took Carson under his wing a few years back as did another good friend of mine, Keith Williams. They worked with him and Carson just was like a sponge and soaked it all in and blossomed into a great young fiddler and a wonderful young man. I am so proud of him and his wonderful parents.

The picture of Carson and his mom is when he was watching my band perform. He always liked my fiddling. 🙂

The video above is Hunter Berry, fiddle; Hunter’s wife, Sally Berry, guitar; Dan Boner, director of the Bluegrass Department at ETSU playing lead guitar; Brent Burke, Dobro; Tensel Sandker (now Brent’s wife), upright bass (both Sally and Tensel are Rhonda Vincent’s daughters); and Haley Stiltner, banjo. (Haley is now with the US Navy Bluegrass Band! My band opened for them. My wife and I are good friends with them all.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

What part of Arkansas do you live in, Fred?  I live near Arkansas in southeast, Missouri

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Hi John, I live in north central AR. A little city named Searcy in White County. I often travel north as far as Mountain View and run into musicians from all over the world there who come to the folk center of the USA.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I’ve been to Searcy.  I had some friends that lived there.  You don’t live too far from one of my older brothers. He lives in Morrilton.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

That’s over past Conway, isn’t it? I’ve never been there but I know someone who has mentioned the town.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Name drop much? 😉 but seriously cool that you know all those people

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I have to admit I could tell they were supposed to be famous…lol…but I usually never heard of most famous people…just a few.  I just crawled out from under the rock a few years back.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, not really famous, bluegrass famous. Which means that the average rank and file have never heard of them, but people who know bluegrass, or people who know of bluegrass might. You can’t get super famous playing bluegrass or oldtime music, unless you live in the 60s or earlier 😂

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Gunnar, you’re totally right that “famous” is subjective. My playing Bluegrass for over fifty years and other types of music for even longer, has afforded me the wonderful opportunity to meet and play with over one thousand musicians in Bluegrass alone. Here’s a list of those I can remember meeting and playing with:

https://www.frederickwarner.com/musicians-list.html

(Now that’s a name drop! lol 😉

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Wow, that’s a stacked list. So I guess a better question would be “who haven’t you met?” I’ve met someone else online who’s also jammed with just about everyone (Dave Long, aka fiddlewood)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I guess my old jamming friends from the past are famous enough in my mind, for me, anyway…lol…thinking of myself as one who stayed in the backwoods and never knew or paid any attention to what the rest of the world was doing, just those in my immediate vicinity…until we moved here 30 years ago…then I was so busy working 90 hours a week I still didn’t figure out what else was going on in the world…lol.  So now, in my upper 60s…starting to notice there is stuff going on…but I still don’t know most of it.  No more jamming pals either…I feel like the Presonus is ruining my life…it came into my world as a substitute for jamming pals, but it has taken over as the enemy of humanity…even when I don’t give in and play on it all day long like I’d like to do, I think of it constantly and find that it’s really a distraction from anything I do…even distracts me from playing my instruments, because I can’t seem to be happy with a little bit of porch playing for the birds and squirrels and rabbits anymore…if I’ve got some time, it’s down to the Presonus…like some urgent, hectic feeling of “gotta get it done,” and I don’t stop until I have something to a point where I can slap it up onto youtube as is, and then frantically move on to thinking about a new one for when I get another spare minute or two.  Ain’t no way to enjoy music.  I feel like getting rid of that Presonus.  Am I wandering off topic? Oh yes, famous…Presonus is famously a pain to deal with, I believe.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Well, I think what happened to me was taking an interest in a traveling Bluegrass band when I was still a teenager. From that point on I started meeting interesting musical people. Didn’t matter if they played, they may have been involved in other ways, like building the stages we all played on, or wiring them, or taking tickets at the gates, or selling their pies and burgers. I just have met so many wonderful people throughout all those years and I still continue to do so. I’m very fortunate to be able to have friends to play music with.

I started the “High Peaks Bluegrass League” when I was 17 years old. It grew to 600 members before merging with the still-running-strong “Adirondack Bluegrass League”.

I’m sure it all sounds braggidocious (is that a word? lol) but it’s not intended that way….it’s intended to share the excitement of being alive and able to play music (no matter how poorly or how many mistakes) and enjoy other people socially in a common bond.

And in that sense, “the fiddle is laughing”out of pure joy! 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

No it doesnt’ sound braggidocious…and Gunnar will let us know if that’s not a real word.  But it sounds like fun stuff, really!

I guess I decided when I was about 3 years old that I’d become a musician…lol…but we all know that’s sorta a silly idea for most people.  I’ve been fiddling with drawing and the colors here lately, and remembering back…I’ve messed around with artsy stuff two or three times in my past, and there was a turning point at some time in my childhood where I coulda gone the art direction for my fun in life, or the music direction…both too expensive and neither considered worthwhile by my parents, who seemed to think I should try my hand at writing…writing what I do not know…but apparently I wrote some good essays or something and they thought that meant something…lol…but music and art weren’t really thought of well in our house.  But I chose music over art and went that way…in my own way, with whatever means I could come by.  Anyhow…I was thinking about this the other day becasue of messin’ with the little doggie portraits…realizing art, at least what little bits I’ve done just ignorantly on my own, is a solitary thing…works best when you are isolated and just alone.  Music, on the other hand, the one I ended up wanting and craving my whole life, getting it as I could, and feeling so much more confident and capable than i ever did with the art work…which is pure ignorance and luck…lol…maybe the music is too, but I feel better about it…anyway, music on the other hand seems to be a social thing by nature…it’s not natural to sit by yourself playing music, and to have as your jamming pals little clones of yourself dwelling down in the recording machine…it would be more natural to play and have other people playing…maybe some listening too…but mainly i just like to play with others…art on the other hand…it’s just a thing to be enjoyed in isolation with only your eyes, hands, and mind and imagination…just a lonesome kinda thing…so…Yeah I’uz a-talkin’ to my toothbrush and we came up with that one.  Actually, the only talking I really did with my toothbrush today was when I stumbled on the exercise bike…not using it…just walking past…because our house is tiny and it’s stuffed with so many musical instruments that this big ol’ exercise bike we got from Costco about 20 years or so ago is right there…every summer I walk past and flap my bare toes against at least once per summer…and crack…you know you break your little toe and maybe the next one too…whole foot swells up and turns purple and you can’t do much but hobble around in pain for the next month or so…yeah…well, today was my day for that adventure…lol…I just know my toothbrush had something to do with it…we took the day off from the wall becasue Mike’s back is just killing him…I mean, hundreds of 80 lb blocks he has to carry around the treacherous journey to where we need them as we go up the wall…so doing other stuff…without my digging boots on, just bare feet…ugh…got a banged up foot now and getting the digging boots on tomorrow and doing all that work is not gonna feel good…lol…of course it never does, but it’ll be extra bad tomorrow and the next several days or weeks.  Ouch!  Why?  I told Mike we gotta find a place to move that exercise bike before I have no toes left…there’s just no room for the doggone thing.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Of course braggidocious is a real word; I invented it 😁😁 (ok, actually Fred did, but I’m happy to take the blame for him)

Well Cricket, I’d say don’t hurt yourself, but it’s too late for that, so I’ll say don’t get killed!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Gunnar…I’ll try to do what I can…lol.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.