The Great Chewing Gum Challenge

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? The Great Chewing Gum Challenge

This topic contains 34 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 5 months ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Great Scott
    Great Scott

I thought I would bring a bit of seriousness back to the forum; hence the creation of this thread.

Ever since Tarzan moved to New York with Jane and Boy — along with the film crew — the availability of Wrigley’s stick gum has become harder to find in the jungle these days.  I’ve tried chewing on Rubber Trees, Acacias (too thorny), African Strangling vines, and even rubber dollies; but they just don’t chew as good as Wrigley’s.  And so, having just two sticks of Wrigley’s left in my gum arsenal, I have had to seriously ration the few remaining pieces left.  Hence, I have now been chewing the same piece of gum for near on TWO weeks. Here is my method:

AM — (after breakfast)  Remove gum from bed post and plop in mouth.

AM through PM — Chew incessantly all day like a champ.  Remove from mouth when ready to fill mouth with food.  When food finished, brush teeth with Boonga leaf then pop gum back in mouth.  Continue chewing uninterrupted (periodically stretching gum between front teeth and forefinger and thumb for aeration) until bedtime.

PM — At bedtime, remove gum from mouth, roll into ball, and stick back on bedpost.  Brush teeth with Boonga leaf and sleep well in tree top.

Repeat procedure next morning.

I am challenging my self to see exactly how long this same piece of gum can last before it completely disintegrates or is accidentally swallowed.  Sure, it has lost it’s flavor; but I just use my imagination and pretend it tastes like what ever I want it to.  Any body else tried this or care to join me in the ‘Great Chewing Gum Challenge’.  You supply your own gum!    🙂

Note: We also use Boonga leaves for just about everything, from wiping dishes, rifles, spears, machetes, poison arrows, fiddle strings and bottoms, to name just a few. They are also especially good for wiping e-Mails (are you listening Hilary?!!!!)

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I was chewing my Wrigley’s Spearmint one time when I was playing the fiddle and I accidentally drooled and the gum poured down into my fiddle and got stuck on the soundpost over night.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Great Scott those of us with no teeth we’ll just have to gum our gum ! Cricket maybe you can use this in your new diet plan , Low in calories bed post chewing gum !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Steve, gum won’t work for me either…I was on the verge of losing all my teeth when we moved up here and I got dental insurance on my big 5 dollar an hour job.  I scraped and saved and got my teeth crowned, root-canaled, all tha5 stuff…like, I have all my teeth, but they mainly consist of a mix of gold, porcelain, silver and superglue.  Now, one of the crowns is caving.,.as much as I fear dentists, I went the other day for th3 first time in 20 years, after I’d gotten them all fixed, and they said that tooth has to go.  Gotta go back and get the tooth pulled…scary because I’ve never gotten a tooth pulled before…lol…afraid my panic will set in…anyway…I’ve got the appointment for next week…But, after spending a couple of Mercedes Benz amount to save these teeth, and going through all the discomfort of saving them…I don’t do gum…lol. Well, sometimes if I have a cold or sore throat I might, but that’s because I also don’t do medicine…so…I’m with you, Steve…no gum for me.  My husband used the dental insurance to get a buncha his pulled back when we first moved up here…now he doesn’t have as much to worry about…lol.  I shoulda done that…cheaper.  But I never could stand the thought of somebody yanking your teeth right outta your jawbone…that sounds so gruesome, torturous…but…now I will join the crowd.  No gum…I floss like there’s no tomorrow, trying to take care of all these crowns, but no gum…uh-uh…I’m stuck dieting with food, not gum…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket I was talking about already chewed gum no flavor or sweet left in it , You can find it under table tops and under Chairs [ ABC already been chewed gum ] Its free and zero calories !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…that ol ABC gum is pretty much, 100%, pure yuck, ain’t it?  That reminds me when we first moved up here and started taking our to the local amusement park…the trees you’d pass as you walked through lines for the rides were famous for collections of ABC bubble gum.l.lhundreds of people would stick it somewhere on a tree as the6 waited for their roller coaster, etc…I thought tha5 was so gross.  Not sure if they still do that…fortunately daughter grew out of a,usement park rides after four or five years so we quit going…lol…no more ABC gum art exhibits!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I was always the one to step on it at school, & it drove me crazy trying to get it off my shoe…kid’s would intentionally drop it on the floor on a crowded hall…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Especially bad if it’s hot in the school…sticky, sticky, sticky stuff…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Lonnie Donegal! Greatest version of this tune ever. 🙂

GS, I divide my chewing into six portions to be chewed each day but Sunday. I’ve found that the rotation gives it time to rebound. However, the pieces are very small and are always in danger of being expelled when I laugh.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I took my false teeth out t’other night and set them on the dresser t’other side from a freshly chewed wad of ABC gum and derned if them teeth didn’t rattle over there and chew that gum half the night. I got up twice about midnight and again around four a.m. to recover the gum from them teeth. They didn’t wanna let go, either. Twas an awful night, now I want to tell ya!

Then, come mornin’ light, I crammed them teeth into my mouth and headed down stairs fer breakfast. You know them pearly whites chattered all through my scrambled eggs. It took me nigh onto 10 minutes or more to chew them eggs. I hope they get settled down ‘fore too long. I gotta call the cows in and don’t wanna swaller my teeth. I had to trade two hens and a side a beef fer them teeth ages back.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Lol Fred. Chewing gum has been a problem for a long time now… Here is one of my favorite quotes from “The Paedagogus,” a book of ettiquite written by Clement of Alexandria more than 1800 years ago:

“Some of these women eating mastich (Arabic gum), going about, show their teeth to those that come near.”

The nerve of it! What is this world coming to, Clement? But wait, it’s not just the women…

“To such an extent, then, has luxury advanced, that not only are the female sex deranged about this frivolous pursuit, but men also are infected with the disease. For not being free of the love of finery, they are not in health; but inclining to voluptuousness, they become effeminate, cutting their hair in an ungentlemanlike and meretricious way, clothed in fine and transparent garments, chewing mastich, smelling of perfume. What can one say on seeing them?” ~ Clement of Alexandria

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Mercifully…they didn’t have facebook back then to portray all that to the whole world…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I wouldn’t wanna see all that.  Fred…I know so many people who’ve had such experiences, and even more with no teeth of any kind…true teeth or false teeth, either one.  When we first moved up here I worked in the periodicals department of the university library…putting out journals, magazines, newspapers, microforms, etc., when they came in each day.  Once, for some reason, my daughter wasn’t in school that day and she was sitting at my chair as I was alphabetizing magazine to shelve in their spots, and one was called something like Appalachia Today, ir something similar….it caught her eye, and she thumbed through for a couple of seconds and said, “Mom, that book is a lie,” and I asked her why…she said…” That can’t be Appalachia, look at all those teeth all those people have!”  Yeah…where we come from you’re lucky to have ANY teeth…true teeth or false teeth…lol.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Once I was a Deacon in the church in town. Well it happened that our minister up and quit and the board left it up to me to hire a new preacher.

I found one I thought would do just fine and we arranged for him to preach the following Sunday morning.

When he arrived, he addressed the congregation, spoke about two minutes and left out the back door so quick no one got a chance to say “Hi” or nothing at all. He was gone. I dismissed the congregation.

The following Sunday morning he showed up and spoke for about the same time, two or three minutes and left just as quickly as the week before.

The board told me that the following Sunday I was to speak to him before he left again. I said I would. The following Sunday came and much to everyone’s surprise, he spoke non-stop for about two hours straight.

When he finally prepared to leave, I followed him out to his automobile. I explained how erratic his preaching had been and that the board had asked me to speak to him. He apologized and offered the following reasons for his behavior:

He shared that the first week he had such a bunch of teeth aching that he simply could not stand the pain and had to leave without further notice. The pain was too great. I understood completely.

He confided that the second week he had his brand new false teeth in that he’d gotten the previous week. They were all new false teeth and they gave him so much pain he simply could not go on preaching and had to leave abruptly. I understood completely.

But pressing on a bit further, I inquired as to why he preached for two hours this morning without even so much as a break. That’s when he shared that he had accidentally misplaced his new dentures and gotten his wife’s teeth in his mouth instead, before leaving for church. I understood completely.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol.  😬 Funny.  I still have vivid memories back in the hills, eating and then laying down to cry with tooth pain.  At times we’d get able to save enough money to go to the local dentist, and he told me that pain was abscessed teeth that calcified over the roots and suffocated the infection and then calcified over where the nerve in the root had been…essentially, my teeth did their own root canals.  H3 could then place a stainless steel crown on the tooth for 60 bucks, but warned me repeatedly if I wanted to keep the teeth, I’d need real crowns in a few years.  W3 finally got up here and got dental insurance and full time jobs, etc., and I started righ5 away going to the dreaded dentists…they were always amazed at my teeth…self-done root canals, stainless steel crowns lasting decades, somehow…they were always asking if I lived in Africa before…lol.  No, just Kentucky…different county though….lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha Fred.

Cricket… That sounds awful. You know my fear of dentists… My last visit was 1993. How did this come up? I thought it was about chewing gum…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Don’t know how many know…but if you chew wheat grain, some call them wheat berries, it turns into a really nice gum…no downside of sugar etc. and it won’t stick on stuff like chewing gum.  When you get tired of it you just eat it.  Just plain raw wheat seed that’s not been ground or anything.  It’s amazing to see how it happens…I really like it….probably cleans your teeth too, when you first chew it up…Not for the impatient though, it takes a long time to get it soft, then another long time for the husks & stuff to disappear…the other stuff kinds of separates & gets swallowed & eventually it’s just all gum.

Cricket, Mom & Dad used to talk about how awful teeth the old people all used to have…there was no dentists to torture where they lived….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, guys when/if I make it to the pearly gates I’m gonna say thank you, I really loved being a person on Your beautiful earth, but why do people have such terrible teeth?   Lol…maybe that’s when I’ll get kicked out.  But seriously,,,John, I share your dentist fear…that’s why after I mustered up the money and courage to get all my teeth crowned, I have avoided dentists for the past 20 years.  When this one crown started giving me trouble, I ignored it for about a year…finally I went to a dentist and now I hav3 to go back to get my first tooth pulled,,,yikes,…I know it ain’t no big deal, it’s just m6 panicky nature about them messing with my mouth.  They did say everything else looks good, and m6 obsessive floss8ng has paid off and all my other dental work is holding up, gums are in good shape, etc.  So my advice if you hate going to dentists…floss like there’s no tomorrow.  Rodger, 8 used to chew on grass tops but I guess I always had bad teeth and 3verybofy I knew had them too.  If they had teeth.  People said chew road tar to make your teeth healthy, but since the peopk3 saying it we’re old and didn5 have teeth for the past century, I didn’t listen to that.  I became allergic to wheat when I went vegan and made everything from wheat…ate tons of wheat every meal…can’t do wheat no more now.  Yes, we are very off topic.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by cricket cricket.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

OK, changing the topic now… Rodger, we have wheat berries (for grinding and sprouting) but I’ve never tried them as gum! I’m trying it now and it really isn’t bad.

Cricket, we used to chew roofing tar, but I don’t think I’ve ever pulled it off the road… sometimes I’m surprised we’re still alive!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The human body is amazing…lol.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh yeah…this got me thinking back…did anybody here ever make Seitan?  I used to grind the wheat into flour, then wash it through my hands while kneading.l..over and over until it turned into something lik3 a huge wad of bubble gum.  This was during my twelve years as a vegan…you’re d3veloping the gluten ( the part that causes the allergy for people who get allergic), to the point where you are left with a stretchy glob of….globiness…then you boil it, spice it up, roas5 it or whatever…all the vegan books and such raved about it, but mine never tasted that good…lol…the dog got most it, usually, but I always thought it was fun to make.   Never did get it tasting very good, though, but if you buy vegan fake meats, they usuall6 have a lot of seitan in them, so somebody knows how to utilize tha5 globby stuff!

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

You got me, Cricket. I’ve never even heard of it. Sounds awful, though. I used to chew spruce gum when I was a kid, but not too much because I just never really got used to the taste of it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ve had storebought fake meats made with it that really were pretty good, but the homemade stuff, or I should say MY homemade stuff, was pretty gross…lol.  I chewed Bazooka when I was a kid…probably something I shouldn’t have done.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Oh wow, Cricket, you just helped me remember some of my favorite gums I chewed as a kid in junior high. I loved Beeman’s Pepsin gum the best, followed by Clarks Black Jack, Clove, Bazooka and Juicy Fruit.  I also chewed bubble gum cigarettes, too (when I’d get done pretending I was smoking them.) lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We did the same…we chewed Beemans if we had a tummy ache.  Teabury gum too, plus all the others you mentioned….maybe that’s what went wrong with my teeth…lol.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

But I especially liked Bazooka for the comics with Bazooka Joe…remember his turtle neck sweater going up over his face…lol.  Tha5 was weird.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Yes, I do remember Bazooka Joe, his turtleneck sweater and those comics. And now that you mention it, I remember Teabury gum, too.

I sure did enjoy those days when I would walk downtown from the school on lunch break and go to Garceau’s Store and stand in front of the huge, long glass display case full to the brim with all sorts of candy and gum.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

And us kids had teeth…lol.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

At the risk of switching topics…I’m contemplsting the great crawdad challenge…yes, we have crawdads in the creek down behind our hill, but all I’ve seen are those tiny-sized gray imposters…they’re some sort of invasive species that have about wiped all the home town crawdads out.  Grandson Roro loves catching them, and we feel for them because it ain’t their fault they got here…we just put em back in…I think our native species all seem to be gone anyway.  But I’ve been thinking…no time for playing music or anything, but you can’t stop a person from thinking…but thinking…our little postage stamp on a hillside has cascades and waterfalls regularly with wet weather…I mean, we’ve had ducks swimming down at the bottom, 8n the back where the goats and chickens used to be…ducks swimmming back there, but we don’t have a pond.  So, well now there’s no goats or chickens at the moment, but just dogs…and I’m thinking, since water goes there, it wouldn’t take too awful much work to get it to stay…then, transplant some cattails and other swampy plants growing along the roadside, add some nice big rocks, then get online and order some live crawdads from Louisianna, intended to be eaten, put them into our crawdad hole and wish em well…in another year or two, we oughta be able to go fishin for those crawdads in their hole…makes sense to me.  So, that’s my crawdad challenge…it might not get done…we have so much work to do in TN again now…like all spring and probably all summer too…but…I’m hoping to try for my own crawdad hole, find some big healthy crawdads, and start up a crawdad hole of my own.   All ideas are certainly welcome, or we can just sit and chew a little gum to stay closer to topic.  This week I get the doggone tooth pulled…ouch…I might be eaten my crawdads out of the blender…lol…I don’t know what to expect.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Cricket, you mention work to do in Tennessee. Do you have a home in two places? My wife and I keep a townhouse in Arkansas, a mobile home in Tennessee and a home in the Adirondacks of New York State. I play lots of music in AR and TN but we rarely get back to NY. Just to stay on topic, I’ve chewed gum in all three states, but I haven’t had crawdads in all three. lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…I betcha that keeps you busy!  No, we’ll, I mean, yes…we have an old house in TN…it was in the family, family lost it, we swooped in and saved it and saved some of them from homelessness…we had worked like crazy to repair and get it livable again…then, well brother-in-law suddenly passed away recently, and…well let me just say there’s an awful lot to do again down there now and we are the only ones who are up to do8ng it.  So…it’s not any k8nd of vacation home, more like a revolving door workhouse…lol.

kjdebolt
    Participant

so I must say I love this song.  My mother used to sing it to us as kids.  What memories we have!  thanks for the memories…

Great Scott
    Great Scott

John wrote:

“How did this come up? I thought it was about chewing gum…”

Yes, John:  You are correct.  This thread has been taken in a completely different direction to what I originally posted; which was about “The Great Chewing Gum Challenge” and me asking if anyone else wanted to take up the challenge.

That said, I found Fred’s comments extremely funny, as were some of yours.  🙂

Kjdebolt, I am glad that the video / song brought back some happy memories.  I too have fond memories of this song. Thank you for posting.

So now, back to the original theme of this post.  Who else is willing to take up my challenge?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gosh, Scott…I feel I had a great deal of responsibility in veering this one off track…sorry.  I would have taken you up on the challenge probably back before I was 18 or so, by which time my teeth were pretty much trashed…lol.  This week I still wait for the slow, snail’s march of tick-tocking- time to await my appointment to go and give some strangerI don’t even know a whole buncha money to smash up my tooth and jawbone and thus start me down the no-gum path of toothlessness…or at least soft foods for however long…our little chihuahua, Buttons had a tooth pulled a while back and he tells me it ain’t no big deal…woof woof…still…losing my first tooth after many decades of struggle to never let tha5 happen…I’ll admit I’m a wimp…a panic attack waiting to happen…lol.  Yet, I think I did exactly what your gum challenge describes many, many times growing up.  My great Aunt, who ran the family farm, cooked for e erybody and taught all of us our manners and polite behavior ( unfortunately that didn’t include staying on topic), had a little ceramic kitty cat on the table near the ash tray that had printed on the cat’s tummy, “ Gum Parker,” and thinking back, I ate many meals with the same gum parked there as the day or days before, and it’s no telling who’s gum I might’ve picked up by accident after a busy meal of fried squirrel or frog legs, roasting ears, okra and biscuits…after stuffing yourself like that, you just grab the gum and go!

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by cricket cricket.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I chewed Bazooka gum too!

OK, starting the 19th, I accepted Great Scott’s challenge and have been faithfully masticating that same miserable mound of manducated mucilage ever since. I’m not sure if I’ll make it two weeks. However, I have been rolling the gum in icing sugar every so often to bring the taste back. Works like a charm!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in