The Mountain Minor (movie)

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? The Mountain Minor (movie)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by MoonShadows MoonShadows 2 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

I found this website today about The Mountain Minor, An Appalachian Migration Story. Looks like it has some great fiddle music in it. Haven’t been able to find out where/how it is available, so I wrote them. https://themountainminormovie.com/

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Seems it’s only being shown in selected venues right now on certain dates. Found this on their Facebook site with no further info about a general release.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Wow, Jim. It sounds like it will be a very entertaining movie. I’ll have to watch for it. When I lived in Erwin, TN, I wasn’t far at all from Mars Hill, NC.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

This was on the local news we pick up here…coming out of Cincinnati.  The guitar playing woman in the film has two or three bands and one of her fiddlers was also in the same bluegrass band I was in for about three years.  I’m not bluegrass so it was kinda just tough for me.  Cincinnati and the whole region is big on bluegrass.  Anyway, I’m not a movie person, my husband watches them but they usually lose my attention after the first five minutes or so…lol…I just can’t watch movies.  But sounds like it might have some good music.

Anyway, another movie with some really great, authentic old time musicians ( who obviously can’t act…lol…which makes it watchable for me) is the movie, The Fifth String.  Anybody who has an interest in real Old Time Mountain music would enjoy it…especially fiddling and clawhammer.  Dwight Diller and John Morris, from WV, conjured the whole thing up.

Then the whole exodus from mountains to find a life elsewhere is just a bad thing…Harriet Arnow , Ky author sure did a great job on it in her Tolstoyian novel, The Dollmaker.  The movie they made about it is horrible and Hollywood money-oriented…we saw some of the stars in our area while they were making it…lol…but the novel itself is profound.  It’s actually part of a sad trilogy, so to speak.  First, Arnow wrote Mountain Path, a novel about life in the backwoods during mule-traveling days.  She wrote a second novel to followup that she had named “Gravel Road,” but the publisher renamed it Hunter’s Horn, showing changes in mountain life brought on by some development, including, of course gravel roads and all the changes occurring.  Then The Dollmaker, which she had named, The Highway, again, publisher changed it to The Dollmaker, about life changes that pretty much destroyed the mountaineers’ way of life and sent them all out on the highway to try to find a good life and try to learn to fit in.

Well but anyway, I’m not trying to hijack your post, just adding what I know.  To me, Arnow is the best writer since Tolstoy, yet most people seem to have never heard about her.  She told the stories she knew and lived well, and weaved them into the puzzles and trials of human existence.

Hope this will be a good movie.  I didn’t get much info out of the news spot they had that one morning…mostly just two musicians saying they had never played together before and were gonna do it there live on the news…lol.  Then they played and gotta say they did a good job.

Thnaks for the post, Jim.  Sounds like a good movie with some good music.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by cricket cricket.
    JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing this when it’s available. Thanks for sharing.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

BEings the non-movie watcher I am, y’all will have to tell me about it…lol.  Maybe if it’s overrun with lots and lots of great old time music I could manage to sit through it.  Or at least tell my husband to watch and I could run into the room when the music starts up.  He’s the big movie person…I just about can’t get through one.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

I woke up this morning to an email from Dale Farmer. He is the writer/director of the movie. He is going to send me a link to the movie in exchange for a review on my blog. I have written back and asked him about general public availability. I’ll update you as I learn more.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

That’s cool. Thank you, Moonshadows.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

I received a link to the movie today from Dale Farmer. For obvious reasons, he asked me not to share the link. I will watch the movie when I have a chance and post a review on my blog which I will share here. I will also ask him about the movie’s release to the general public.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.