The Official Band-In-A-Box (BIAB) Thread

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things The Official Band-In-A-Box (BIAB) Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 160 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi folks! This is the place for all the Band-In-A-Box

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi folks! This is the official Band-In-A-Box thread. This is the place where we can discuss BIAB. Here, you can ask questions or if you are a seasoned BIAB user, you might like to share some of your tips and tricks in using the program. In his quote below, which is THE most informative and most straightforward description I have read to date, John describes what Band-In-A-Box is, what it does and how it works.

I would also like to add to what John says by suggestion to anyone who is thinking of purchasing BIAB, to buy it at the end of each year. PG Music (the producers of BIAB) usually has a hefty discount on it every year starting around December. I own the Audiophile version that comes on an external USB3 Hard Drive that holds around a massive 800 GB of BIAB files! Also, I would suggest that at the time of purchase, you carefully consider purchasing some of the discounted bonus paks (that is how PG Music spell it) while you are placing your order for BIAB.

You might also like to check out this link to Norton Music who are the #1 producer of Band-In-A-Box aftermarket products. They have a lot of really cool styles that BIAB does not include , yet they work seamlessly within Band-In-A-Box.

http://www.nortonmusic.com/

Happy fiddling and BIAB -ing! 🙂

BIAB is a software created by PG Music, Inc. It is a huge collection of musical loops that can be connected together to form songs. PG Music hires great musicians to strum in different chords in various styles at various speeds, then snips each little sound byte so that it will connect with another sound byte seamlessly. These sound bytes are called “loops,” and they are generally one to four measures long. These various artists can then be joined together to form a “style.”

I can literally spend hours playing around with different styles and solos. It really is a LOT of fun. This week’s lesson is “Frankie and Johnny,” which has sort of a New Orleans feel to it, and so I used this really cool Dixieland style for the jam tracks. Here is a preview, just so you can hear BIAB do its thing. The music begins around 1:45:

As a user, you choose a style, then chart out the chords, and BIAB will assemble the band and generate the song. And it doesn’t have to be just rhythm. The BIAB artists have also recorded an awesome library of solo riffs. When you listen to my bluegrass jam tracks, you are listening to loops of music that were created by Andy Leftwich (fiddle), Rob Ikes (resonator guitar), Scott Vestal (banjo), Brent Mason (guitar) Byron House (bass), and Ricky Lawson (drums).

Check out this link for a listing of some of the BIAB styles. You can click the links for audio samples and videos as well:

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.realtracks.htm

Some of those should sound familiar to users of this site! Sometimes the loops do not mesh like you’d want, and the sound is unnatural. For example, Scott Vestal seems to change his capo position every time there is a chord change, and sometimes the guitar plays a flat seven when you don’t want it to. All in all, though, it generates some good music and is pretty easy to use.

Although you can’t dictate the melody to the master musicians, you can create a desired melody using a midi platform, then merge it with BIAB (see my backing tracks for “Morning has Broken”), and you can also record your own live music as you play along with BIAB (see my guitar intro on “Orange Blossom Special.”) The advantage of adding your own recorded music to BIAB is that you can speed it up or slow it down very easily when generating jam tracks. For me, that means not having to record the intro to OBS at multiple speeds.

If you are planning to by BIAB, I recommend getting the external drive. All of these audio files take up a LOT of space. PG Music has a ton of great video tutorials to help you get started, plus I have been using it long enough to help out a bit as well.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

• This reply was modified 47 years ago by .

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Scott, thanks for starting an official post on this! I realize that it is a pricey program, but you can get some great use out of it. Considering the work that goes into creating a software like this, I don’t feel bad about paying the sticker price for it. I use BIAB a lot so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you don’t mind, I’ll use this thread as time goes on to showcase some of the features of BIAB that I put into my music.

As I mentioned before, here is one that I am kind of proud of. In “Morning has Broken,” I integrate musical notation for piano as a midi grand piano with the other “real” instruments, including a real piano that is playing chords behind the midi piano to make it seem more realistic. You can also hear how I pulled the other rhythm instruments in and out. This is all done within the BIAB software. I think it’s pretty cool! (Music starts around 1:00).

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hey John! Apologies for my lateness in getting back here to reply.

Thanks so much for giving us all a great insight into Band-In-A-Box!
    I, and I am sure many others here would gladly welcome the opportunity of you using this thread to showcase some of the features of BIAB that you put into your music. All your backing tracks sound awesome and maybe a newbie like me can learn a thing or two. Being a Hobbit, I must confess to my liking of Hobbit music … so I might just one day learn enough to make a backing track for when Merry and Pippin decide to get jolly in the tavern again!

I will get my questions in order and post them here for answering … but ONLY if you have some time to answer them. Love your rendition of “Morning Has Broken”.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’ve got plenty of time! This may also help me to learn more about BIAB myself.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Below is Jackie’s (aka caintuck)  question that was asked in another thread.

Hi Great Scott,

Not to get off topic too far. Have you compared the audiophile version biab with the compressed file version? I am just curious other than price what would be the significant difference in audio quality?

GS reply:

Hi Jackie!  Man, did I compare!  I compared for months!  To be perfectly honest, when comparing the compressed with the uncompressed files, I was able to pick up only a slight amount of difference.  Due to our pointed ears, and our uncanny ability of selective hearing, we hobbits are able to pick up a higher range of frequencies, whereas the rounded ears of our non-hobbit bretheren are less capable of such a magnificent feat.

Although the difference was minute, I was however listening to the comparisons through  headphones.  I imagine had I been listening through proper studio monitors, the difference could have possibly been more magnified.  Most people will say they can’t hear the difference, while a few will say they can.  I think if someone is working with live musicians (which are so much more fun than working with dead ones)  on a daily basis, then they could perhaps hear a slight difference in quality, but for the majority of people, I think if you sat them down and played one track to them using a compressed file (WAV) and then played another using a non-compressed file (WMV),  and then asked them to tell you which one was the uncompressed file, I really don’t think they could tell you. For me to explain the slight difference I heard, I would say that the uncompressed files seemed to have a little extra “sparkle” as in when listening to cymbals, if that makes sense.  I would describe it as “crispness” of about 5 per cent over the compressed files.  However, it is all in the ears of the listener.

As I said, I compared the non-compressed vs compressed files for several months before purchase.  The reaon  I chose the audiophile edition was as a kind of “just in case” type thing, and so I could cover all bases and not have buyers remorse; though, looking back on it, I think I would have been completely satisfied with the non-audiophile version. Be advised too that not every file on the Audiophile edition is uncompressed.  There are many compressed files on it as well.  The amount of file in total takes up around 870 GB (unsure of exact amount) and it took me over 12 hours to install it on my PC.  For the life of me, I can see no logical reason why they don’t make BIAB cross-platform.  I am not springing for an update of my current version until they do!

Message to PG Muisc:  Be bold and step into the 21st Century, and make BIAB cross-platform!

Hakan Lindholm
    Participant

Very good subject. I have tried for years to make backing tracks and tried varius software but I have not got very far. I have not found out the proper workflow to create good sounding backing tracks (like the backing tracks on this site). I simply put in the chords and then try to find a suitable music style from the many hundreds to chose from but it never seems to sound correct. It works ok to practice fiddling to but it does not sound the way I would like it to.  I have Band In a Box (one of the larger packs – ultra plus pack ) so there is plenty of music styles to chose from but I have not figured out a suitable workflow on how to use it for the results that I am looking for.

I would be very interested in how others create backing tracks and their work flow (simply putting in the chords and trying to find suitable music style? ,modifying the instruments for the style? modifying the style?, entering and adding the music notation for various instruments? like bass and drums? or others?. If so how do you know what music to enter for the instruments you don’t play (bass, drum..)).

In particular if there is a workflow how to emulate good backing tracks that sounds more or less identical or very near to an original recording of a song you are trying to learn

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Scott, thanks for reminding us about this thread.

Caintuck, I use the real wav files. This is because I compress them to MP3 afterwards, and then they get processed again by my video editing software. After so many compressions, it starts to sound a little wonky*.

Hakan, here is what I do for backup tracks. Please let me know if you have questions on any step.

1) Enter the chords into the chord sheet.

2) Choose a pre-built style, usually bluegrass or country.

3) If bluegrass, I usually add some real drums to the mandolin track.

4) I click the first bar of the verse to make it blue, and the first bar of bar of the chorus to make it green. This way, the instruments “step it up” for the chorus.

5) If I do not want the default “shave and a haircut” two-bar ending, I deselect that option under “song settings.” I usually create a tagged ending under “song settings.”

6) Here is a neat trick for a nice held chord at the end of the song: On your last chord, go under “chord settings” and select “hold chord.” Leave the next three bars blank. On the fourth bar after the held chord, enter a different chord (it doesn’t matter what you enter). For this chord, go under “chord settings” and select “rest only.” Now this chord won’t be heard, but your previously held chord will stop. End the song on this bar.

7) If the song sounds good and I have the right number of loops, I then export the song as an MP3 at several different speeds.

I hope that helps!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi Haken! I have many of the same questions as you in this regard. I have a number of videos that came with my edition of BIAB. They wwere informative — be them from 2008 for my 2013 edition! — (a big gripe of mine) but they got me no closer to creating a decent backing track, the likes of which you are trying to achieve. I have searched Youtube and found many videos on the subject but again, they have brought me no closer to the holy grail. I will admit here that I absolutely loath software and prefer the classic old-fashioned hands-on hardware. I guess I am probably genetically predisposed to missing the brain cells required for understanding BIAB and making a simple backing track that sounds half decent.

In the time I have owned BIAB (almost 3 years now), I always end up walking away from it in frustration and defeat — the frustration and defeat being brought on by my own ineptness in understanding the very basics of BIAB. I bought it believing it would help me with my music but it has had a huge negative affect on me and my creativity, and I have come to hate it! That said, I don’t want to give anyone the impression that there is anything wrong with the program; there is not. There are thousands of intelligent people out there who know how to get it working in their favor and create some great music with it. I, alas, seem to not be one of those intelligent people. So, instead, I have resorted to beating a goat skin drum with a stick and banging my head against a large rock as my two main fundamental musical instruments.

The BIAB forum over at PG Music has some very friendly members, but I feel like such a stooge reaching out and asking anyone for help because I feel so foolish not knowing how to manage BIAB in giving me what I want from it. I also have Kontakt 5 and Reaper; however, I am totally lost when it comes to these two programs as well. My video editor is the only bit of software I can do anything productive with. So, I am happy to think that I am not a complete idiot after all. I have just about given up on music and do very little with it these days, mostly because I can’t seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I only wish I could help you in showing you how to create a really good backing track, Haken, but I am aftraid I am as lost as you when it comes to getting my head around BIAB.

I am now reaching for the razor blade as I lie in a bathtub of hot water!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Scott, the image of you drumming on a goat skin while banging your molded plastic head against a large rock is downright hilarious. Thank you for that.

One of my problems with BIAB is the sheer number of buttons on the front panel. I don’t use any of them. I don’t use the melody maker, the score maker, or any of its billion functions. I just enter chords into the chord sheet, choose a style, and create awesome backing tracks.

I am more than happy to help you with this rudimentary feature of BIAB. Email (or attach) some of your files and I will take a look!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thank you, John.  That is very thoughtful of you. I appreciate that very much.  We will be in touch.  Like I said in a few other posts: I am not from this time or technological age.  Now, you will have to excuse me.  I have to get back to my drumming.  I am the official drummer for the annual mammoth dance competition and I mustn’t miss a beat!

P.S. ~ My head is made of plaster, so you can imagine the mess it makes every time a rock takes a chunk out of it!

caintuck
    Participant

Great Scott,
    BIAB I am one of their biggest fans. Fun, Fun, Fun. If your in tune the whole “band” is in tune. Play with the best background music.
    I play acoustic guitar and sing mostly gospel music. There is a 100,000 watt Christian radio station WJCR 90.1 about 50 miles from where I live. I had got into BIAB about 12 years ago. In Dec. of 2005 I wrote a song called, The Old Path. Band is a Box had no where near the quality it does now. I was using strictly midi instruments in those days. I used only the midi acoustic guitar #26 and the acoustic bass to record the song. A lady friend of mine heard The Old Path and she asked if I would care if she took it to the WJCR radio station for me. I said wait until I put more musical accompaniment with it. I told they would probably trash can it. But, she took it down to the station as it was. Turns out for three years running, (it’s crazy, I know), it was the most requested song. I believe if the song had not touched so many people as it was in it’s raw form, I don’t think the very best instrumentation would have made any difference, at least, in this case. Lesson learned! I have no trouble getting songs played on the air, even today. Of course this is only regional and they are not a reporting station to Billboard, Singing News, etc. But I appreciate them very much for adding me as their local artist. And the good thing is, I have my “band” standing by waiting to play on my next song! I hope to add the fiddle someday. Oh and that’s another thing, sometimes I lay down the rhythm tracks and bring some exceptional local talent to play on the tracks. With a few live instruments, sounds like it was done in a major studio.

Great Scott or anyone that may have a question on how to do something in BIAB, I would be more than glad to help in anyway I can!!!

Just a thought, what would be the problem with BIAB users, helping others put the music to their songs they may write, I don’t know, maybe?

caintuck

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks Caintuck. If you are getting airplay with BIAB, you know it isn’t half bad! To me it is the best way to create a “demo” CD for giveaway. And with a few “live” instruments added for flavor, I can see how it could sound like a studio recording. I have been very happy with the product.

Thanks also for the idea about BIAB users applying their talents to create music tracks for any budding (or seasoned) songwriters here on the forum who don’t have a way to otherwise get a backing track for their song. I think it is a great idea!

caintuck
    Participant

Hi John,

I feel like we, (BGD) members should help each other when it is possible.
    I love the idea that no one here on this forum that I have come across feels like they have arrived! We are all on a journey and we are in different stages of development. We all have individual goals. And too, when we are willing to help someone else achieve their goals, and feel like they are moving ahead, they are filled with a sense of accomplishment. I believe this can fuel their next challenge, step by step we all win! I say let’s dig in and encourage one another then we help ourselves to reach our own next goalpost on this long and tedious but extremely rewarding journey!

When I have had questions, newbie type things, example, the camcorder thing and the help you gave me on the lyric of my song, etc., you guys have just rushed in to help me. Not only technically, but it made me feel good to know I’m a part of something that’s much bigger than myself. I feel safe on this forum!

caintuck

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks Caintuck, that means a lot. I feel safe here too — except for the occasional attacks by pirates and drill sergeants. And the occasional 70s tune that inevitably gets stuck in my head for several horrible weeks.

Joe
    Participant

I have biab and am completley lost using it. My other fiddle teacher just sends me the file to play with the songs I am learning.

note to John:
    Notice I said other fiddle teacher?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Joe, I’m proud to be one of your teachers! 🙂 Let us know if there is a particular BIAB function you are trying to use. We might can help!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi Jackie, that is a great idea!

You know, if I, myself, were expertly proficient at using BIAB, then I would make a series of tutorials on how to use BIAB, going from the very start of creating a backing track, right through the entire process to the point of completion.  I would also do tuts on every other aspect of BIAB; however, I would teach it slowly and succinctly knowing there are nebies who WANT someone to explain things to them slowly and concisely.  Too many tutors /tutorials that I have seen treat the newcomer as if they should know everything already, even before the lesson has begun.  Like many other newbie’s, I want my tutors / tutorials to be clear and concise, patient and understanding — going through the process slowly, and even back tracking a little to make sure we are not getting lost along the way.

And Jackie, you are SO right!  When we help others, we are also helping ourselves; helping ourselves to grow through the gift of love, and the gift of giving.

caintuck
    Participant

Great Scott! As you already know I don’t have the technical savvy to make a video tutorial but perhaps, if you could tell me where you’re hitting the “wall”. I will explain in detail through text and perhaps screenshots, to help you through each step of the way. Sometimes certain BIAB terminology can confuse the issues at hand. And like you said most tutorials even professionally produced can assume to much from the end user. I have had a great deal of experience using BIAB, I know I can help you! I don’t think there is very much I don’t know about the program. We will take it step by step. Explain to me where your trouble is and if you can what you need to understand. Sometimes tutorials tend to lose us. I will do my best to speak and explain everything in depth and if you still have a question, I’m right here! I remember a time a few years ago, I had purchased a drum machine, the Alesis SR16, perhaps you are familiar with it. I spent several days learning how to get around the machine, to build user presets, drum sound choices, sitting time signatures, etc. When musicians around who wanted to use the machine in live venues, guess who they came to see! I finally wrote a blow by blow, step by step how-to for the little machine. Far more detailed than the user manual. Anyway, it helped a lot of people that felt like it was just too complicated.
    So if I can help you through this maze, I will be more than willing to help all I can!

caintuck

caintuck
    Participant

Hi Joe,
    I’m with John, let us help you learn BIAB. It is an awesome program that is I believe a Godsend to musicians who would love to play with a great band, they play in tune, the timing is excellent, and even this drummer does know everything, but doesn’t flaunt it, nor does he get drunk and fall through his drum set! Huge improvement!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thank you very much for your kind offer, Jackie.  I will post my question(s) as soon as I can.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha and the banjo player never hits you up for lunch money. Caintuck, it’s good to have some expertise on here. I only make backing tracks, but I know the software has so much more functionality.

caintuck
    Participant

Ha Ha, Exactly John! Gosh, I love it! With all serious aside, I do love the fun and the characters I had the pleasure of knowing and playing music with through the years. But as you know, I’ll say it this way: every band’s got one, or two or three, Oh! I’d better be careful here or I’ll be gettin’ around to me!
    I appreciate the term “expertise”. Me, no, no, well, maybe a little, no, no, on second thought…, nigh!… I thought I would approach any advise I could give that would be directed to me on how to do this or that, it be more like, “here’s the way I do it” and try to be as detailed as possible. I don’t want to appear I am talking down to anyone. We don’t need to know EVERYTHING that’s possible with BIAB, But we do need to know enough not to be intimidated and use it for our own fun and entertainment. Love you all!

caintuck

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hey, I know exactly what you are talking about. There’s always “one” in every band, and sometimes it’s me!

I do appreciate the way the members here don’t claim to be experts, but are willing to bend their brain waves to a problem until it is solved. I’m thinking of you, Gu, Scott, Kevin, and others who spend a lot of time researching and preparing thoughtful responses. What a resource!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Okay, here come the questions.

Q 1: Supposing I have made a track in BIAB, how can I turn it into an MP3.  In the control panel, I can only see a facility that allows you to burn the track to a CD (after rendering it first).  Is there a tab somewhere amongst those million and one buttons on the control panel that will allow me to directly convert the song into an MP3.

Q2:  I have already asked John the following question and he said it wasn’t possible, but I thought someone might know of a “secret way” of doing it.  When I open up a BIAB MIDI file, i,e; one that I created using the Melodist, I can play the file and hear it, and I can then open up the Lead Sheet /Notation window and see the notation playing, and I believe I can also edit the notation if I wanted.  That is a good feature to have.  However, here is what I want to be able to do:  I want to import an MP3 of my own original music so I can hear it being played in the Lead Sheet /  Notation window and then be able to edit the notation.

— Is there some well-guarded secret to importing my own MP3 and editing it in the Lead Sheet / Notation window, or is this something BIAB refuses to do?

I have always believed that if I am able to import my own MP3 and hear it played in BIAB and also use the Audio Chord Wizard to sus out the chords (whereupon I could change some if needed), I have always been under the impression that I could also use the Lead Sheet / Notation Window to see the notation and edit it should I want.

If it is NOT possible for me to import my own MP3 into the Lead Sheet window, then it pains me (and disappoints me) to think I would then have to go into the Lead Sheet / Notation window and start from scratch by entering every single note of the piece induvidually.

Any help will be rewarded with a bag of magical beans, as well as a mention in the credits on my upcoming music CD.   🙂

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Scot here is how I create an MP3 in BIAB:

1) From the file menu, select “Export song as .mp3.”

2) Choose a file name. It will begin exporting the song as a wave file. This might take a few minutes.

3) After it waves the song as a wave file, a window pops up prompting you to select an output audio format. Mine defaults to Lame MP3, but another option is MPEG Layer-3.

4) In the same popup window, in the “Attributes” drop-down menu, select the highest possible bit rate. Mine is “48000 Hz, 320 kbps CBR, Steres, 39 kb/sec.”

5) Click “OK.” BIAB will create the MP3 using the wave file it initially created, then delete the wave file. Now your MP3 is ready!

caintuck
    Participant

Hi John and Great Scott, Sorry, been away a couple days from my computer. Of all times, my studio a/c went south. Anyway, still no cooled air, yeah, converting the wma (BIAB files) or wav files is no problem as John has already pointed out. Good advice, John. However, Great Scott, What you want to do is convert the song you made into an Mp3 and put that on the Chord Wizard that would reveal the chords of your song. Seems to me you would already have the original chord progressions from the moment you first made the song, Am I correct? If this is true, what your asking is how can I change or manipulate the original chord or chords I made in my BIAB song.
    Here’s the way I do it! Now this is work with individual instruments before converting my BIAB files to Mp3 or Wav. files. [NOTE:Once midi or wma. (midi like) files are converted to audio (Wav. or Mp3) files they are all married together into mono or stereo files.] At this point they cannot be changed! For your BIAB files in the song you created you literally have to do nothing at this point just click on the PIANO ROLL, it is on your BIAB dashboard. The PIANO ROLL is not just for piano all your instruments will be available. Represented at the top by their initials. This is were you can work on each instrument note change the way you want it to be. If you need to make (chord changes in the chord progression of your song do it while in BIAB) I usually go to the PIANO ROLL and there each individual midi file can be manipulated. Here you can change the pitch, the length of a sounding note. the velocity, even change it’s position in the bar, say if it a guitar note too early or too late, move it where it should be. Take some time and play with the piano roll. When you have completed this save it from the normal BIAB save button. Now you should be able to convert your song to Mp3 or wav. file,
    per Bluegrass Daddy. With piano roll up, look all the way over to very top right of the PIANO ROLL. There is small window that has a pretty good tutorial on the PIANO ROLL

Gee, I hope I was in the ballpark with what you were trying to do. If not, be patient and we’ll try again!!

caintuck

John Cockman
    Keymaster

WOW Caintuck, I didn’t know you could manipulate individual notes using the piano roll! I am going to be in there pronto. I am making MP3s for “You Are My Sunshine” today on the way to a concert. I’m pumped!

Unfortunately I think Great Scott wants to import an existing MP3 (melody only) into BIAB and have BIAB figure out the notes. With some work, I could write a software that could do this of interpretation, if the MP3 track were melody only, but I don’t think BIAB has this functionality. One can hope, though!

Angela
    Participant

Sorry…gonna hijack the forum for a second…I’ll erase it after Caintuck sees it…

Caintuck….I was going to head up your way to the fiddle contest in Leitchfield.  But, I decided it was too hot to sit out there today.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It’s OK, Angela, leave it up. 🙂 I don’t blame you. I am off the mountain this weekend, and the concert tomorrow morning is indoors, but we just found out the AC is out. I kind of think they should cancel it!

I tried editing a Leftwich mando solo in the BIAB piano roll. I was surprised that BAIB did recognize the individual notes he was playing well enough to place them in the roll. However, my edits did not change anything when I played it back. Maybe it doesn’t work for real tracks? Still, I was impressed that the piano roll recognized his individual notes. When I regenerated the file, it created a new break and a new piano roll for the mandolin. Very nice!

caintuck
    Participant

Hi John, Great Scott, started with “Supposing I have made a track in BIAB, how can I turn it into an MP3.” That is why I thought GS wanted to go directly to Mp3 from a track he made on BIAB, return it to Audio Wizard. The point I was trying to convey, was that if the chords or notes needed to be changed in some way, looking at “I have made a track in BIAB. To try Piano Roll. But now I understand he has already converted the original finished BIAB file into a 2 track or mono wav. file and wants to run the file through Chord Wizard to retrieve the chords. Yeah, that is possible. However, I must say every time I have tried that with a wav or Mp3 file, I can get somewhere in the “ballpark” but when I send it to BIAB, it never turns out quite right. That’s been my experience with it, anyway. That’s why I suggested using the piano roll with BIAB wma files. Which are still in a state of midi. And John you are correct, RealTracks are not midi. However, if you have RealBand you can use it to cut and paste parts of a track, like the mandolin part you mentioned. I’ve done that when a good solo musical part was played on top of the melody line and would have been better at the end of the line and to make a nice riff before the next melody line starts. BIAB is a very good tool, but it’s not a do it all type thing. Good luck! If it wasnt’ so hot in this studio right now I would do a lot more digging. After changing the Leftwich mando part on piano roll did you save it? I’m sure you did but just asking! Safe traveling!

caintuck!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

@john and Caintuck ~ Thank you both for your imput to help answer my questions.  My question was in two parts so I will address each separately:

Part 1: Exporting a track to MP3.
    Thank you John for those instructions on how to export a track to MP3. Thank you too Jackie for the helpful infomation you provided.

Part 2: Converting an MP3 file to MIDI
    I have done a LOT of digging over the pastseveral days and learned this: Mp3 and MIDI are two totally different beasts and thus can not be mated together. So, because they are totally different beasts, BIAB can not convert an MP3 to MIDI die to the fact that MIDID is a mixture of signals ONLY, as in zeros and ones, whereas a music MP3 is FULL of so much completity in the information it holds — complexities that are not measured in zeros and ones. There are, however, one or two software programs whose developers “claim” to be able to convert an MP3 to MIDI, but the proof of their capabilities would be my testing them to validate the claims — an expense I don’t wish to outlay in hope or in vain.

I will keep trying to find my way hrough the mire and hopefull get something happening.

Thank you both again for your assistance! 🙂
    Scott

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Wow, I just got some great new information. Thanks Caintuck and Scott. I am now going to try to find out more about RealBand, which I think came packaged with BIAB. As soon as I set up my new studio… I will report back!

Joe
    Participant

Ok, I need biab for dummies. Tryin to enter in chords for backup soundtrack to Cowboy Waltz and I need someone to walk me thru step by step. Link to sheet music is http://www.showman.org/Tunes/CowboyWaltz.pdf and a link to youtube video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiDzsZpz-YE I have an older version of biab but it works good when someone else uses it other than me (ha). Any help would be appreciated I would really like to get this in my biab file. Its a really cool sounding song, gotta be if Woody Guthrie recorded it.

kevinj
    kevinj
    Participant

Hi Joe, sorry I can’t walk you through it step by step (I’m just a newbie myself), but here’s a shot at an SGU file (hopefully your version can read it) from the sheet music you linked to. It seems to keep the right time, and should get you started enough to play with styles, etc. Someone more experienced can probably improve it or correct things.

Joe
    Participant

thanks kevin. I tried it out an it plays on my biab. It does have some background music sound playing with the song but I can still make out the song good enough, thanks so much. My goal is to learn how to start from scratch and put it in myself someday. Would like to get it in there without the fiddle so I can try playing along with it. My local fiddle teacher moved out of town so I am on my own here now.

kevinj
    kevinj
    Participant

Hi Joe, I just made a backup track, so there’s no melody in there. If you don’t like the fiddle in the backup, you can turn it off in the upper right (on my screen) mixer by reducing the sound level, or muting it.

Or you can pick a completely different backup style with the style chooser buttons, and find one that doesn’t use a fiddle.

Both of these fixes are pretty easy to do.

Good luck.

caintuck
    Participant

Hey Joe, Sorry you’re having some difficulty with BIAB. It would be helpful to know a little more information. for instance, do you play an instrument for vocal accompaniement such as a guitar, piano, etc.? Other than fiddle. Do you know chord patterns such as when playing a song on your instrument for example in the key of C. Do you understand the root chord is C and the major chords that generally go with C is F and G. That sort of thing… If I knew more about where you are musically, I know I can help you understand BIAB much more. I know this is a public forum and I am not trying to belitle or embarrass you in any way. But this a site for learning, you are not expected to know everything. If you will reply back to me, give me some insight on your background and better yet, how much do you already know about BIAB? I am here to help you and I want to see you succeed at learning. BIAB can be a great tool for learning fiddle, writing songs and even making accompaniement tracks for singing too or being your backup band as you play your fiddle.

caintuck

Joe
    Participant

Ok kevin I will try that thanks.

Caintuck to answer your question. I have little to no music theory background and no instrument experience other than the fiddle I picked up about 4 or 5 years ago. Heck in the 6th grade I got a D for a grade in music ( teacher didnt like me). But I guess I just about need to start from the beginning with biab. My fiddle teacher didnt really explain much about biab he just made the backup music for me and gave me the file. He moved out of town now and I guess left me hangin. So any help would be appreciated.

caintuck
    Participant

Hi Joe, Thanks for the information you provided. I am writing a small descriptive way to get you into using BB (BIAB). BB is definitely a chord progression based software. Patiently together we will you into learning to use this software.
    John’s pdf. files have chord letters above the measure and time signatures, we have a lot to work with. I have a church function to do today, but I will get to it the first of the week. Thanks again!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in