The Official Band-In-A-Box (BIAB) Thread

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things The Official Band-In-A-Box (BIAB) Thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi caintuck, thanks for the information. It helped me a lot to turn off all instruments except the bass and rhythm strummed guitar, I had not tried that before. It makes it more easy to listen to the “feel” for me (and also maybe to change the bass and guitars to some others). So I will try this out for a while.

Regarding BB I have the BB 2015 Ultra Plus Pack (4395 styles). I can see Waltzes (244). But I can’t find any specific Celtic waltz style picker, but if I filer the waltzes with “celtic” I get 6 styles as result. But only two of them have “celtic” in their name. But they don’t sound right. But I think I have found a style that works fine for Southern Soldier Boy. I searched for “soldier” with the result of one style SOLDIER.STY 3/4 Scottish Marching. and experimenting with changing the default bass and guitar and with all other instruments muted It will work fine for me for now (but I still think it is not the same drive in the guitar strumming as in the recorded example above).

Regarding Cajun songs, is cajun a specific music style set in BB? I cant find any, or should I look under bluegrass and country? for Cajun songs.

Thanks Joe for the BB backing file for Bonapartes Retreat it worked fine to download it from here.

Participant

Great Hakan hope you can use it.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Haha keep working on it, Joe! It is definitely worth it to be able to create your own jam tracks.

Participant

I just found out about the “User Track” option in BIAB. This is something I have been looking for but was not aware it was available in BIAB. In addition to create backing tracks putting in the chord sheet and using some of de very many built in styles in Band in a Box and maybe change some instrumentation, there is an option to make your “own styles” by adding your own instrument (played by yourself, i.e. strumming the guitar).

Very helpful instruction video. How to create your own User Track in ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RSYeaT3H6A&feature=youtu.be

I am currently trying this out (quite fun). Trying to put in my own very simple rolling guitar (1,2,3) down strums to replace the guitar in the BIAB style that I am using as a start when trying to emulate the guitar backing in the video example of Southern Soldier Boy above, the guitars in the BIAB styles seem to be much more elaborate.

nagumaqnagumaq
    Participant

Right on Hakan, sounds like fun for sure. Simple 123 guitar strum background is a sweet one , and when it s your own even better, hope it all works out for you and that we get a sample in the Lions D’en ?
    I got my Roland piano the other day and it also has a recording system. I have been learning and re learning chords patterns and then by the time it gets recorded their seems to be an all around better understanding of the song I was Trying to learn on fiddle and makes it fun to play on top after. And changing desired speeds, great fun and learning tools !
    Cheers to creating user tracks !
    Gu

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Cool Hakan, I haven’t tried making user tracks. I’m going to check it out!

Gu, I’m enjoying the work you are doing on the new Roland.

Participant

Of course, for those that would have some interest and just in case you haven’t heard, Band in a Box 2016 is out. There is already an update for the software and the RealTracks as well on http://www.pgmusic.com/support.htm

The way I learn BB or any software for that matter. I am usually like a blind man in a hundred room mansion. I hit a lot of walls before I find a door that leads to another door, so on and so forth. However, after much trial and error, I find my way through. Learning like this is not what I would recommend, but I have the hardest time reading instructions. Some of us, sorry guys, but, the gals are much better at this than we are. Sure, We may get lost but we will find our way back. I said all that to say, don’t be afraid to click on the buttons, it won’t explode. If you are wrong you at least know what the button does. Check out all the tutorial videos that accompany your BB. If you crash, re-start BB and try to crash again. If you’re just starting into learning BB, spend some time with it,
    try to add chords to the chord sheet, it doesn’t matter if they are part of a song or they are not even in the scale of the first chord entries. Add any chord and BB will play it. Good luck! Let me know if I can help!

cain

Participant

I have just upgraded (thanks for the earlier postings here). Mainly because of the new improved style picker (I had very hard working in the previous version with the very tiny fonts and small fixed window) it also has style suggestion based on song title and improved sorting and filter options.  I have not gone through it all yet but the chord sheet is improved with two additional lines/layers that can be used for lyrics and other notations. And the number of columns is now configurable (not fixed to 4 as in the previous version).

Participant

Exactly. Like you Hakan, I like the new BB 2016. I understand it is somewhat difficult for some to get their head around it. I remember my first encounter with the program, I was as lost as a white duck in a snow storm. That was way back before Realtracks and Realband, but I thought it was the greatest thing since white bread. The midi acoustic guitars and the midi pianos and of course midi drums were not bad at all. But I never missed a year. So I’ve had plenty of time to figure things out at least for what my mission was, at any rate. One of the new features I like is being able to acidize wav files. I have a program called Sony Acid Studio 6. Now it’s much easier to move certain elements in the timeline. As you probably already know when a wav file is acidized a file or a small fragment of a file can be manipulated to any key tempo, placed at any spot you would like that part to play. Using the Studio 6 , say, as an example when the singer isn’t singing at the end of lines and you want add a nice guitar part, or whatever.

It’s a lot fun. When your done you just save it all together as a stereo wav file. Is BB a perfect tool? Depends on what you’re wanting to do. But still for the money it can be very helpful in learning our chosen instrument, whatever that may be.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

[quote=29965]I have the hardest time reading instructions.[/quote]

Caintuck, you just described me to a “T.”

I can’t help but feel like you and Hakan are light years ahead on me with this. All I do is type in chords, arrange an ending, and choose a style. I have no idea what the other buttons do. Isn’t that terrible?

I am going to try the new upgrade after Christmas!

ljrockljrock
    Participant

Just received Band In a Box 2016 Pro with bluegrass pak. Wow, sure to have to learn a lot about this program. Excited about using it for my fiddle. Beginner fiddler and senior citizen. Any help greatly appreciated.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It is a great program! I use it a lot. I have the 2015 version, and decided against the 2016 upgrade. I was saving money, since I don’t do anything fancy. But, the 2016 upgrade does look like a vast improvement!

ljrockljrock
    Participant

Any suggestions for basic settings and speakers for band in a box. Thanks

Participant

ljrock,
    Here is my setup for BB. I have a small music workshop setup in a little outside building. It’s kind of my home away from home. In my little workshop I have Band in a Box 2016 downloaded on my computer. I still use my old Windows XP 32 bit with 4 gigs of ram. I love it! But, since it has become obsolete and no longer supported by Microsoft, I dare not use it with the internet! I use my Windows 7 in my house for that purpose. (That is on the soon to be short list of non-supported software, as well.) I have a couple of lower end powered monitors for mixing. Also, I have an Akai 24 MKII Pro all-in-one workstation on my desk. I’ve had it going on 10 years. Still works o.k. I also have a software daw (digital audio workstation) downloaded on my computer made by Presonus called Studio One. When I am satisfied with the “band” I put together that is appropriate for my song then the BB WMA files are now rendered (converted) to WAV files (each individual instrument) in the song. I then put them (the instrument files) in a folder, name it save it and the open my Studio One daw, click on opwn, find folder open it and download to individual tracks on my Studio One software. After some fiddlin’ around with levels, panning and effects/dynamics, I mix and send the combination of BB tracks that are now WAV files to a stereo 2 -track. Now I have pretty much finished my song, ready for CD.
    ljrock, I hope this helps at least in part, if I understood your concern appropriately! Let me know if I can help further!

cain

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Caintuck, that is a nice setup you have there. Certainly enough to get the job done! The Akai workstation is really nice. I have used one, probably very similar to the one you have.

I need a nice set of studio monitors, but right now I am using a couple of Pyle powered speakers with a sub. It works because I’m in a fairly large garage.

Participant

Thanks John, It is a Akai DPS24 Mkii. The powered monitors I have are the ones made for stereo bookshelf style. Their o.k. for me. I think when you are mixing with certain speakers long enough, you learn them after awhile. And you know where they are the strongest and the weakest in the frequency department. You can get fairly good at making decent mixes. I bought my Akai mixer several years ago, but unfortunately, Akai decided for whatever reason to discontinue them. I hope it last a few more years, I really don’t care to go all computer, but if I have to of course that would the next obvious step.
    But for right now I’m loving it for mixing with real faders instead of a mouse. Hands on, sans the mouse, it’s more of the old analog feel. The automation is sweet! It’s all just fun! Recording with my fiddle on some of these songs and listening back gives me a glaring truth. But, that has helped to hear more of my intonation problems and then I am able to practice on those parts til they are tuned. I may think that wasn’t too bad, ’til I do the playback, OOPS!!

cain

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Haha I know what you mean about getting used to a set of playback speakers. You learn how to compensate. I think one of the tough things about engineering is making it sound good in a wide range of playback devices. I guess you can’t please every speaker, so you just try to make it sound as good as possible coming out of the really good ones. I also understand how nice it is to have the faders. I hate “drawing” fader moves on my tracks with a mouse!

ljrockljrock
    Participant

Hi Y’all, any suggestions for more bluegrass realtracks other than PG Music. I got the bluegrass pak with BB, but seems to have only 1 realtrack for realtrack. Maybe I haven’t looked enough to find more bluegrass in BB, but any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

The Bluegrass Pak that most people sell contains a set of midi sequences for bluegrass tunes. It comes packaged with BIAB Pro, which is PG Music’s baseline product. The midi sequences are very good, but you shouldn’t expect real tracks from this product. The one real track it contains is probably for advertisement purposes.

If you would like to add real tracks to your Pro edition, I would suggest visiting their Realtrack Package page here:

PG Music Real Track Packages

The two packages I would start with are Set 96 (Modern Bluegrass Waltz) and Set 33 (Bluegrass). Each are $29.

If you want to use these tracks, you will then need to do your own work to create them. I’m not sure how hard it will be to convert the Bluegrass Pak midi files to real tracks.

Participant

Midi instruments cannot be made into Realtracks, but they can be converted from midi instrument to WAV. files.  I do this alot! Not in every instance but, in certain songs I like the midi acoustic bass.  Sometimes the Realtracks bluegrass acoustic basses have too long of a sustain for my tastes.  And sometimes even the tone suits the song better.  I’m just saying! I try both ways and decide which sound is better for the project I’m working on!  I wish the Realtracks in BB could be manipulated like Midi files.  Maybe one day BB will figure out how that can be done!

Until just recently, I used the midi guitars, BB  have improved the quality of the Realtracks acoustic guitars.  The Brent Mason acoustic fingerpicking and strumming guitars tracks have really improved!  I generally like them. Also I like midi drums just because they can be separated into individual files and with a little tweaking can sound very real. Panning  them in the mix can add a lot of depth to the drums sound.  That is a problem with Realdrums they are all mixed to the center.  For instance, the kick doesn’t generally get reverb, but adding a reverb to the snare and toms and another reverb to the cymbals adds it to the kick drum as well.   To me adding reverb makes the low end sound of the kick drum scatter.   And too, you may have noticed too, that the kick in the Realdrums kind of gets lost in the way it was intially mixed.  I like “marrying” the kick and the bass. Tonally and volume wise.

The midi strings are pretty good as a pad on certain songs.  The pianos are pretty good.  But otherwise, the banjo, fiddle and most other midi instruments just don’t cut it for me.

John is absolutely right, if bluegrass music is your thing, as it is mine, then the two sets he suggests would give you pretty much all you would ever need to make very nice tracks. Just sayin’ !

cain

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.