The Official Band-In-A-Box (BIAB) Thread

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things The Official Band-In-A-Box (BIAB) Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 184 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Gary Arrington Gary Arrington 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 161 through 185 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Most likely, your Windows Recording Control is not set up properly. To set it up properly, follow these steps:

1. Go to Audio | Record Audio
    2. In the ‘Record Audio’ dialog, press the [Set Recording Properties] button. This should bring up the Windows Record Control Panel.
    3. Select or mute the device(s) you wish or don’t wish to record from. ie: If you want to record from the Line in only, make certain just Line in is selected, or all the other devices are muted.

It’s also possible that you don’t have the correct audio driver selected. With Band-in-a-Box® 2010, there are two places you can choose your audio drivers, assuming you are using the MME audio driver type:

• In Band-in-a-Box®Opt. | Preferences | Audio | [Drivers].
    • In the Windows Control Panel: Multimedia (Win 98/ME), Sounds and Multimedia (Win 2000), or Sounds and Audio Devices (Win XP), in the Audio section. On Win Vista/7, Control Panel | Sounds.

Note that Band-in-a-Box® versions 2004 and earlier did not have the option of selecting your audio driver from within the program, audio drivers had to be selected from within Windows.

In Band-in-a-Box®, if you have “Microsoft Sound Mapper” selected as your audio driver, Band-in-a-Box® will use whatever is selected in the Windows Control Panel. If you have a driver *other* than the Microsoft Sound Mapper selected, Band-in-a-Box® will use that driver.

Note: You will need to restart Band-in-a-Box® if you change the audio driver in Windows.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Hey John, just a crazy idea, but I’ll throw it out anyway.  A while back there was a lot 0f chatter about Band in a Box and I was surprised how many had it and how much interest there was in it.  I did get it set up and working, but when I got into it I ran into some issues that I didn’t have time to work out.  Seems like it involved repeats and such.  I’m sure if I dedicated my life to getting it done I could find resources & such to find a way, but I find I have just put it on the sidelines for now.  So….

I was wondering if there might be a volunteer who has a good understanding of it that would be willing to set up a thread that would take us students through a basic project step by step, and if we get stuck could ask questions etc.  Sure, maybe we could do it alone, but a class project would provide the motivation and set a timeline to do it, along with the comradire (is that a word?) to share in each others sufferings.  In short, if there was a class I would do it…if not I will probably be in the same boat as now next year.

Joe
    Participant

Sounds good to me Rodger. Maybe someone will take that on.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Rodger, I would be happy to teach that workshop! In fact, we can do it right here. I’ll have some time after the rain from Florence starts, unless I lose power…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

OK…I will enroll as a student.  If you start a project I will send you an apple (guess it might have to be a carrot or potato) for my tuition.  Sounds like fun…Thing is, once the lessons are laid out they will be there for ever for whoever wants to do it…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I guess I’m the only one who signed on ……….?

Joe
    Participant

I am with you Rodger. Sign me up.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

How long have you had Band in a box Joe?  Done anything with it?

Joe
    Participant

Its an older version but all the back up music for it was loaded on by my then fiddle teacher. I need a step by step how to take sheet music chords and then put them into BIAB for me to use. I can get close but it still isnt quite right. probably my lack of music theory ha ha.

Gary Arrington
    Gary Arrington
    Participant

I’ve been using Band In A Box for about a year now to create backing tracks.

I’d be interested in hearing what your favorite Styles are for bluegrass songs.  The backing tracks I hear John using here don’t seem to be overloaded with instruments like many of my own do!

I also thought you might be interested in how I use BIAB in conjunction with EasyABC and MuseScore.

There are thousands of ABC files available on the internet.  These are text based files that, when opened in EasyABC, create printable sheet music.  MuseScore works in a similar manner.  This is all just to say that both of these programs can export music as .XML files, which Band In A Box can read!

When I import an XML file into BIAB, I get the chords plus the melody.  I can then choose the style and instruments I want and turn the melody on or off as desired.

Hakan Lindholm
    Participant

I also would be very interested to hear what favorite styles that are used for Bluegrass and Country songs here on the forum.

I make some of my backing tracks in BIAB and I find it easy to put in the song and chords etc.  But I never seem to find a Band In a Box Style that sounds good to me or the way I want it be or expect it to be. I find them all too complicated and filled with instruments that I don’t want.

I often want some very simple backing tracks basically to give me the rythm with simple bass maybe simple drums and simple guitar etc. But I can’t find any. I have the BIAB 2019 with UltraPAK and several extra PAKs so I probably have most of the styles but still cant find any styles that Im looking for.

I have also tied to listen for the styles used in the backing tracks that are used in the lessons here, but I can’t hear any styles that matches. It would be very interested to have som guidance on how they are produced ie the workflow how to find a suitable BIAB style for the song and then what modifications are done and how to make  them to make it sound like the styles that are used for the lessens here on this site.

(regarding ABC files my experience is that BIAB still has lot of bugs when it comes to loading ABC files and it became worse in the 2019 upgrade).

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I use all of the bluegrass styles, along with some Celtic and country. But I almost always have to make some volume changes,  and instrument muting or substitution. Sometimes it takes a while to get what I am looking for!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I have never used it , But need a program for backup ! Is there anything better than Band in a box ?

Gary Arrington
    Gary Arrington
    Participant

Steve, I don’t know if there’s anything out there better than BIAB since I haven’t used anything else, but I have found the entry level package sufficient for my needs.  I may add on some additional fiddle real tracks this year, though.  I have the 2018 BIAB basic package.  It also comes packaged with RealBand which makes recording your own melody and adding effects like reverb pretty easy.

I use a Kermona vv-3 bridge pickup on my fiddle and feed that into a Behringer U-Phoria  audio interface that connects to my computer through USB.  I have found the bridge pickup to be a better option for me than a microphone, because I can play  the backing track through the computer speakers (instead of earphones) while I’m recording melody or harmony. Also, I don’t have to worry about a microphone picking up the dog barking, telephone ringing, etc. during recording.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks for the input Gary !

Gary Arrington
    Gary Arrington
    Participant

“(regarding ABC files my experience is that BIAB still has lot of bugs when it comes to loading ABC files and it became worse in the 2019 upgrade).”

Hakan,

Yes, importing abc files directly into BIAB is somewhat buggy.  I’ve had a better experience by EXPORTING the abc file from my EasyABC software as an .XML file, then IMPORTING that into BIAB.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

The lest package they sell is pro for $100.00 2019

Hakan Lindholm
    Participant

There are often much better prices in December each year for many of their items (special December prices, sometimes down 40%).

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Hakan , I am in no hurry , so December is only about 5 months away !

Eddie
    Participant

I can’t find any info on the 99.00 download version.

i would think if it had bluegrass instruments at all a person could make simple backing tracks for bluegrass, old time, and fiddle tunes

Gary Arrington
    Gary Arrington
    Participant

I can’t find any info on the 99.00 download version.

Eddie,

I can’t remember which vendor I bought my 2018 package from, but I DID buy it on eBay and it is a full legal copy, registered with PGMusic.  Here’s a link to a current offering on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/PG-Music-Band-in-a-Box-Pro-2019-Windows/352539231622?hash=item5214f9c586:g:1O0AAOSwZs1cC-VG

This is a digital download…no box or disks. Windows version.

Eddie
    Participant

Thanks Gary

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Here is a little tutorial that I made recently while working on “Bonaparte’s Retreat.” I’m using BIAB Audiophile on an i-Mac. You will have to make the video full-screen since it is a screen capture of my desktop. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hakan Lindholm
    Participant

Many thanks John. Great stuff very helpful.

Gary Arrington
    Gary Arrington
    Participant

Thanks, John,

I had never explored the “Chord Options” dialog before, and I didn’t know you could sort the Styles to show only those with Real Tracks.  Very cool!

Viewing 25 posts - 161 through 185 (of 185 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.