The Squirrel Hunters

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 6 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I’m tackling this one today. Always liked it but never tried to learn it. Has anyone else learned it here?

I’m only through the A part right now. Trying to add a little old time bowing to it.

Any advice on what you did or if you’ve learned it chime in. Thanks

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Here’s the sheet music that I used.  Very basic and easy.  Once you can play these notes, you can switch over to the BGD’s intermediate sheet music.

https://fiddlers.org/tunes/SquirrelHunters_r2.pdf

Here’s the YouTube to follow:

You can slow down the YouTube by tapping the 3 dots at the top of the YT screen and going to “Playback” and changing “normal” to .75 or .50 speed. etc.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

You may have to copy the YouTube http and search off the BGD Forum site.   The BGD site doesn’t show the 3 dots at the top of the YT page.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Thanks Nancy

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I learned it here from BGD.  Kind of a tricky thing to play…I never got very good at it.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I’m learning it here too. I have the A part down as best I can right now. But yes a kind of hard one.

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

There’s a John Hartford youtube out there that I learned it from.  No tabs, no notes, just him playing it and talking it thru.  At first I was perturbed, but it’s a pretty basic song (except for the last D chord), and easy enough to learn without tabs….

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Usually I have to listen to a tune a lot to get it in my head. That’s where I’m at right now. Just getting out what I’m hearing and then doing my own kind of bowing to it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think John here at BGD said he made his SH lesson from watching that video of John Hartford talking about it, playing it, etc.  I think the tune is sort of, well has an odd twist to it, which makes it sound really neat.  I think of that and Wagoner, or is it Tennesee Wagoner…or something like that…can’t remember the title now but it has weird little turns to it, sorta unexpected.  I guess one of my issues with those types of tunes is that it’s about impossible to play them any way except in Standard GDAE…which is fine, but I’m never as comfortable there as I am tuning to other tunings, mainly Sawmill (AEAE, or GDGD preferably) or Cumberland Gap tuning (ADAD, or GCGC, I guess it is…I usually go one step downward because it seems too shrill in A or D)…Some stuff I can manage ok in Standard…like, Chinese Breakdown, Soldier’s Joy or some like that, but others, the old time Blackberry Blossom…the old time one (some might call it Garfield’s…not sure…people call things by same names that sound different)…just seems you can’t really do it in anything besides GDAE.  Or Pretty Saro…I took it from the lesson here at BGD…played it in Standard to get the neat drones…but then I took it to Sawmill just to get more comfortable with it but lost out bigtime on the unique drones that were there in Standard.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Yeah it has a tricky spot in it. But I really like it a lot. And I think I will get it down.

I don’t tune in other tunings much.  I should but just don’t. There are a few tunes I have

Booth shot Lincoln is one I tune alternate, Old mother Flanagan and Ida Red.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

It’s a cool tune. I always played it ending on a D chord but in the Key of A. I just use standard tuning. (Never even thought of using anything else. I’ll bet some other tunings would be real cool with this tune). I just posted my rendition of it on my Fred’s Frequent Fiddle Fusion Forum #3. Have fun with it, it’s a fun tune to fiddle. :)

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I’ve been practicing it every day after work. I have the A part down pretty well now. Just still working out the B part. I may record it this weekend.

Yours sounded great, Fred.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, John. I appreciate it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.