Time to start thinking of fiddlers' resolutions!

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Time to start thinking of fiddlers' resolutions!

This topic contains 86 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 6 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hard to believe 2018 is coming to a close.  What have we accomplished?  Me…well I’ve put up a lot of youtubes and pretty much tried to keep playing as much as time allows.  But I think my big problem with my recording machine has been setting down a tempo…I try to find a good tempo, set the clicky metronome and then put down a guitar scratch track…the problem is I cannot play with a metronome..I find myself ignoring the metronome and then running off and having to slow down to let it catch up…etc.  So it makes my rhythm really awful…then, there is the problem that it almost seems normal to me for people to speed up as the tune goes along, which I try to avoid by using the metronome, and this sets me at a slower pace than I really mean to go, although I figured I was going faster, but I think my mind was thinking in terms of speeding up as I went along, which of course the metronome stopped me from doing.  So…I think I need a new plan for 2019..play through a tune a few times…try to match up the metronome with my ending of playing the tune a few times, then hopefully my tunes won’t be so draggy and slow…hopefully.  I have an idea to take each tune I’ve done and rework them all, with better tempo settings, better backup (less stuff…cleaner and simpler..I tend to clutter them up with too much stuff going on), just hopefully better playing.  I keep having this idea of putting backup tracks for jamming for fun, but then when I try to play with them, they just sound awful to me…not sure why…lol.  Maybe that’s just not a good project for me. Then I also feel like going back to the old BG jam I used to go to…not sure if I’d enjoy that or not, though.  Have to think about that a while. I guess though mostly I’d like to go back and do over most of the things I’ve recorded and try to get my tempos better and just simplifiy the backup playing. Anybody else got new fiddlers’ resolutions?

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, I don’t do new year (or any except high) resolutions. But I’m gonna try and get better at fiddle next year, particularly bluegrass fiddle and adding (or even playing) double stops. I also hope to learn mandolin, and possibly dobro. All of which depending on funds, hopefully I’ll be able to get a job. Other than that… I’ve got a whole nother year of goofing off to do!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I intend to learn the new tunes I ‘ve had John work up for me also to continue working on the fast tunes I have been working on for over a year now , That still are not right yet ! No shortage of fiddling things to continue !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

One thing for sure…if you take up fiddling, you’re too busy to get into any trouble…lol.  Good luck, Steve and Gunnar.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Interesting comments on this topic.
    I like to think of this more as goals and not resolutions.  Not many resolutions are fulfilled for a whole year.

My goals include learning double stops, more in 3rd position and how to improvise like John did on Steve’s Achin’ Broken Hearts.  
    Great song Steve!

I will try to jam with others as often as I can.

John, I wonder if you could include another level of learning for your new lessons.  Maybe Basic Advanced or Beginner Variation or some other name.
    It seems there is a huge jump from beginning lessons to intermediate lessons.

Maybe this Basic Advanced lesson could include just two or three measures of faster eighth notes on just the last half of the A section increasing the level of difficulty just a little bit without jumping strait to double stops.  You wouldn’t have to create a whole new A part, just add something to the middle or the end as a variation to the beginning part.  – Just a thought.

Good luck to all this year,

Kenny

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Kenny Kenny.
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hope you all can keep your resolutions! Kenny, it is a fairly big jump from melody to an intermediate break — I will think about that! My resolution is to make more time for fiddling this year. More lessons and better lessons!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Time seems to be the issue for lots of people.  I hope to figure that one out too…I spend a lot of time in “idle,” waiting for somebody in some public place or office…thus addicted to internet…can’t fiddle in those places…lol.  People call me on the phone because of loneliness, etc., far away people, etc.  This leaves little time for when you can pick up an instrument and make a racket.  It would be great to figure out how to hack away at time itself and get a few slivers of your own.

Joe
    Participant

Find some one to jam with on regular basis. It gets boring playing with backup tacks all the time.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Personally, I’m gonna call it a goal not a resolution. If it’s a goal, it’s something I can work for, tick off (of my list), and move on. As a resolution it requires attention all year long.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think goal might be a better way to think of it.  There is a brilliant guy, Reinhardt Engels…who has a website where he pretty much figures out how to do what you intend to do instead of doing yourself in…very interesting, sort of current-times Benjamin Franklin kinda thinking.  Anyway, i didn’t take up new instruments while i was working because it was so hard to find time to myself other than constant cooking and kitchen cleanup, etc., and thought I’d take up fiddle after I retired.  Well, that didn’t work out because everybody had bigtime problems of all sorts about then, about when i bought my first fiddle…so, running people here and there, saving them from homelessness and starvation, house renovations galore, running, talking on the phone late nights with them…etc., etc., etc.  I had no idea retirmemt was like that…lol.  I mighta done better buying the fiddle while I still had a job.  Now…our KY retirement system is in so much trouble, thanks to our legislators gambling it all away in hedge funds or whatever…stuff I know nothing about…but they lost it all and it’s really in trouble…bad for us, as we live on KY pensions…so I might end up working at McDonalds before long…lol…ain’t really a funny thought…but having zero marketable skills…yes i studied philosophy in college, but there just ain’t no call for philosophizing for money, fiddling for money, or whatever else I know how to do for money…so…flipping burgers that i wouldn’t ever eat if you paid me a million dollars to eat one…’s’where I could end up if the state of KY lets us down.  But…somehow…for now…gotta find more time for fiddling.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, being in Kentucky, you could work at KFC instead

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good point!  Hopefully I’m done lookin’ for jobs…lol…but, well it’s gettin’ a little bit scary here in KY.  They usually aren’t too eager to hire a 65 year old…I’d prefer working from home, on some computer data entry thing or something, but do those jobs really exist?  I sure haven’t seen any.  But anyway, assuming I won’t get cut off by the state, assuming and hoping…I gotta play more fiddle, is what I gotta do this year.  I wanna redo those recordings and youtubes, as I said, but I’m seriously thinking to get myself back to the old BG jam…it only meets one night a month…lots of terrible traffic to go through, costs money, they play in awful keys…lol…but where else can I go to just to remember what it’s like to play with and around others?  They also have a stage (weirdest setup I’ve ever seen) and open to the public, which in this area means a few older folks that like to spend a night watching people fumble around on the stage without knowing what they are gonna play…lol.  Kinda crazy, but I did enjoy that part because at least I could tell myself someone wanted to hear me play…of course they don’t have much choice who they listen to…but they get whoever’s turn it is to play, and mostly it’s a buncha folks who happened to be sitting close to each other in the back and the guy in charge pokes his head in and says…YOUR TURN.  I just didn’t like it when sometimes they would turn on these crazy rock and roll lights jumping all around the room…I can’t take that…then I get an ocular migraine the next morning, which freaks me out really bad.  They don’t always turn on those wacky disco lights, though, just sometimes.  Anyway…it’s what I can do if I wanna be around people.  Thinking about going back again.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Cricket, I’m hoping that this year you find (or start) a great nearby jam!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, John.  I hope so too, and for all other fiddlers….let’s find some fiddling friends, guys!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I really want to find a jam and a band if possible. I hope you find one, Cricket

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

No one does actual ‘resolutions’?  Dear me…I never knew this gang was so perfect.  That means no one drinks or smokes, or drinks pepsi or eats too much chocolate or coffee….no one has a few extra pounds or ever watches tv.  And everyone plays like Michael Cleveland and doesn’t need to practice…and…and well….you guys are all perfect I guess…however I refuse to capitulate…New Years wouldn’t be New Years without resolutions…It keeps you humble & human, & just might make you a better fiddler…This is the age of Trump…get rid of whimpiness & make New Years great again….!!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

If you keep your resolution(s) then you’re way more perfect than all of us! Most folks resolve, don’t keep their resolution, get discouraged, and end up drinking pepsi while sitting on the couch getting fat.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

What?  I thought we all were perfect here?  Well…my grandson is Tiny Tim two more times tomorrow, and his show is over.  Now our crazy normal crazy can go back to just normal crazy for a while and hopefully I can figure a way to find others to play with.  Hope you find some people too, Gunnar.

Angela
    Participant

I need (and want) to get used to playing in B…and E while I’m at it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good luck, Angela!  B and E or bust!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

A resolution does not carry the weight of an oath, a vow,  a covenant, or a legal contract.  You will not go to jail or face a lawsuit breaking a resolution.  It is also different from a commitment, or a promise, or a pledge.  You won’t interfere with someone else life or disrupt society if you break it.  A resolution deals with rational, common sense acknowledgement of reality (concerning our lives) that we may have conveniently ignored.  When we break a resolution, we have to go on trial with our conscience concerning the folly of failing to govern our life rationally.  It’s a way of being accountable to ourselves, since we are the only ones making personal decisions for our self.  Failing to hold ourselves accountable to rational constraints can certainly set ourselves up for a wild ride through life.   So I believe resolutions is something programmed into our conscience for our protection.

Goals concerning practice, or upgrading our fiddles etc. do not necessarily involve this New Years accountability/resolution thing, in that it is something we do constantly throughout the year anyhow.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Okay, but when your conscience finds you guilty it becomes discouraging, and you end up on the couch fat. If you can improve an aspect of your life yearly and keep it for the whole year, then you’re perfect. But I don’t think it’s humanly possible. More power to ya if you can pull it off, but it’s not for me

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Before any goals can be set, a resolution must first be made! :)

For example, Angela has resolved to play better in B and E — now it is time to set some goals! Some goals may be practicing scales for x amount of time per week, learning a certain number of tunes and riffs in B and E, or encourainging her bandmates to play five new songs in those keys.

I made some resolutions, and now I’m in the process of setting some goals.

If I don’t reach my goals, I will probably give up and end up on the couch eating chips and drinking Coke until 2020.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

I believe John speaks with wisdom here.

If I do or don’t reach my resolution/goals I will eat some chips and drink a few cokes this year.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Kenny Kenny.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Didn’t you guys vote for Trump??

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok when put that way it makes more sense. I guess I have resolve, but I don’t consciously make resolutions, just goals. I guess I just use my resolve to achieve my goals? Either way, I don’t make “new year’s resolutions,” but I do set goals to give me direction while practicing

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Whereas: Fred has expressed a desire to play pedal steel guitar; and

Whereas: He has purchased said pedal steel guitar, and possesses all necessary fingerpicks, steel bar, Peterson E-9 tuner (app on I-Phone) and amplifier (on loan); and

Whereas: this forum on Bluegrass Daddy has created a post topic having to do with formulating and expressing a resolution to be shared with fellow forum members; and

Whereas: Fred does not desire to be seen as a “party pooper”;

Now therefore be it resolved that from this day forward, Fred will set the goal of practicing the 192 chords he has already learned and all the “grips” associated with said chords and begin playing basic pedal steel guitar licks and songs with the overall goal of becoming better and better at performing until one day (check back around the year 2035) he is able to play confidently in public and private.

Resolved this 29th day of December, 2018.

Signed: Fred.

P.S. He will also practice his fiddle each time he becomes frustrated trying to play that ****** pedal steel guitar!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Congratulations Fred…wear your hat proudly…you have just made New Years great again!  (And we have drained the party pooping swamp as well)

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Gunnar, based on my observances, you don’t seem to lack resolve! And after all, Jan 1 is just another day…

Fred, those are some great goals! I hope you meet them all, and much sooner than 2035!

Rodger, you’re right… In Trump’s America, we have eat Big Macs and drink Diet Cokes. Which I guess is what Trump will be doing if he doesn’t accomplish his goal of putting a wall on the southern border. Maybe he should resolve to play the steel guitar instead — it might be more easily accomplished!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Haha! I agree it’s just another day. For me, almost every day is just another day. Christmas, thanksgiving, and my birthday are the ones I remember, the others I only remember like five minutes before the festivities. Rodger, I didn’t vote in 2016 (or any other year for that matter) cuz I’m not voting age yet. Nevertheless, in “trumps murica” it is resolved that the resolutioning is not mandatory according to the laws of the meads and the Persians. Since trump probably doesn’t allow mead to be given to Persians, the laws may be substituted with resolutions, but only when the resolute has scored more than 200 career goals

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

There, see? War and peace

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Politics will ruin this forum for me.

Please keep it about fiddling or music related!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Message received & well taken.  Probably my most important resolution will be to do just that…(at least on the avoiding politics stuff)  I always try to think about the larger audience, to make this a good experience for all here,  before I hit Submit, but don’t always know…

Angela
    Participant

John, concerning your thoughts about B and E….were those illustrations or assignments?

where are my chips and coke??

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well The Christmas Carol has run its course and now our Tiny Tim is once again our Roro…and we can all stop thinking about nothing besides the theater and who’s coming or going or when or whatever.  So…back to my resolutions/goals/political feelings (ha ha…)…mine are too wishy-washy.  I need to hone in on more specific goals.  One thing…I don’t like jams…what we called a jam back home was when you stopped at the little store 5 miles down the road on your way home from work, to get a pop because it was a hot day working…and you’d set your Coke down on the counter and join in the singing until they were done enough to ring you up and send you on your way.  Or roasting a pig on the fire and just playing whatever with friends and neighbors, for fun.  We called those jams.  But where I am now a jam cost money, is very organized…like so organized it’s very institutional and orderly…I’d love to start a “jam” of my own.  But…I’m assuming you have to know somebody to do that…right?  LOL…I don’t really know people who have any interest…then…I’m assuming your living room needs to be able to seat more than 3 people and 3 chihuahuas…ok…possilby up to 5 people if the chihuahuas go to another room and nobody plays anything too big. So…I don’t see how I could…but wish I could.  I guess to make my resolution or goal more concrete, I have to decide whether or not to go to the old BG jam where my old BG band always went once a month…I gotta figure that one out.  Will I enjoy that, or will it just frustrate me once again…what with them only playing BG and all…lol…which, of course, is what they are, thus what they do.  All that B and E and songs they’ve heard from CDs and wanna sound just like, etc.  I don’t know.  Do I wanna go that route and learn to love it, or just go on my own way and just do like I’ve been a-doin’?  Gotta figure this stuff out!  Politics won’t even help me with this one!

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Rodger,

Thanks for your comment above.
    Because this topic was about fiddler’s new years resolutions I will make some.
    I resolve to encourage all who are trying to learn this music that we all love.
    I resolve to share anything I know to help someone learn.
    I resolve to ask questions and provide thoughts on how to improve this forum so we all can play better.

Kenny

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Cricket, congrats on your grandson’s Tiny Tim part. I know it will be a great source of wonderful memories, but right now I’m sure they are relieved that it is over! On jamming — A jam is kind of hard to start, but once it get’s rolling, it’s also hard to stop! The main thing is to be consistent with time, date, and location in order to build your base.

Angela, those are your assignments, so don’t break out the chips and coke just yet! :)

Kenny, point taken! We all like to pick a little fun at our elected officials now and then, but political discussions = jam busters! Great resolutions, by the way!

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Thanks John,
    This is the best lesson site for fiddles that I have found.  I have a passion for the fiddle and this forum is a great place to share and learn.

Cricket,
    I am lucky to have a couple of jams a month in town where I live.
    One we meet in a private home. Another is in a small church where we bring food and play for two hours.

Also I can play 2 or three times a week if I choose with some local musicians at nursing homes.  This is like a jam in that we don’t practice – we just show up not knowing who will be there.  We all take turns singing or playing.

You don’t have to open your home for a jam.  Maybe find people who are friends of yours and offer to play for free at a local cafe on a certain afternoon or evening. Meet in a park or recreation area if the weather allows.

I hope you can find the jam of your choosing.  Set some ground rules right at the beginning like – everyone gets a turn, encourage everyone no matter what level they play.  Set time and dates etc… just some thoughts on how to start a jam.

Angela
    Participant

Ok.  Step one. When you play the B scale, do you start with B on g string using first finger or second finger.

If first, do you stay in second position all the way around or jump back to first finger on the a string?

or if you start with the 2nd finger do you use H4 for the d sharp or L1?

asking for a friend…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Angela, hope your, um “friend,” finds some answers…lol.  I sure don’t know, but I have become comfortable playing a lot in second position while cross tuned…but it’s a whole different thang, ain’t it?

Thanks for jam tips, guys.  I don’t know of one single person I’d feel right asking to come over.  For one thing, what I play is just flatout unpopular here.  People like jazz, something like nervous stuff, like rap or rock…I honestly don’t know what it is…I’ve heard people call it blues, but it doesn’t sound like blues to me.  So…what I play is too strange, I think.  I sent audition tapes to churches, craft festivals and old folks homes back about 20 years ago and they all said no.  Ok…I get it…lol…they don’t like it.  I did used to get a few little gigs here and there when the old archivist was still in the university I worked at…he was really into Ky music styles and stuff and he sort of knew lots of people everywhere.  But he left and then I couldn’t ever find anywhere to play.  I’ve had trouble moving into the BG crowd…I still don’t really know them…they’ve all known each other since grade school and I’m an outsider, I guess…I mean…I show up and try to play my strange things or try not to make a mess of their stuff, mainly.  It’s not a lot of fun for me…so…I don’t know, really.  Maybe some idea will come to me.  Or else, thank goodness, I’ve got the Presonus to play around with.

As to the play…yeah, whew!  But I’m seeing the void in myself, just from what little I had to do with it…Roro said tearfully last night he would miss his second family.  All the adventures, the work, the teamwork, the unexpected to deal with together…the laughter and applause and the backstage antics we’ve heard tell about (no one allowed there but actors)…he’s got a hole to fill up inside himself now.  He says he wants to audition for it next year…lol.

Well so anyway, I’m hoping to get hit with some new and wacky enough idea to figure out how to play with some others in such a way that’s it’s fun for everybody plus myself…and not institutional-like…gotta be some way!  I ain’t totally giving up on it yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.