Today's Flowers

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I just picked some flowers, out in the weeds and, thought it would be nice to have a thread where we share our flowers with each other.  The big ones are store bought, but the smaller ones are from out along the driveway.  This would have been a good year here to raise bees.  Hope the rest of you will share your flowers also.  I know you have some much better than these.  As usual, the picture doesn’t do these justice…Click on the picture for a larger image.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Looks like some nice lillies and asters and maybe Queen Anne’s lace too?  Looks nice, Rodger.  I’ve got tons of sunflowers…I don’t grow flowers as such, but just mainly the flowers that grow on the veggies….so I have purple bean blossoms, yellow tomato blossoms, squash blossoms of various kinds…I got some blossoms on my japanese mustard greens and hoping to get seeds if the Asian stink bugs’ll leave them alone long enough for the pods to dry out…got corn blossoms and best of all, okra blossoms…people often ask us, if they are walking along the road just outside our door…they ask what the beautiful flowers and leaves are in front, just on the opposite side of our fence from the sunflowers…it’s okra…I always thought it was one of the most beautiful flowers, or even just a beautiful plant.  I’ve had a hard time keeping up with the berries this year…daggone…good year for berries and they took up a lot of freezer space…now, getting ready for the big bean, okra, and tomato onslaught…I guess I’ll get sweet tater blossoms soon too, forgot about them.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh, I forgot…I grow the sunflowers for the birds and bees…I grow a vine called humingbird vine…also called cypress vine…it has lacy green leaves and bright red little flowers that the hummingbirds like…then, this year I grew calendula flowers…mainly to eat…they’re good for your eyes…but the flowers are beautiful…I grow milkweed for the butterflys but most people probably don’t see them as actual flowers…lol…i do.  I guess you could say I grow dandelions and violets too…I make stuff outta the blossoms that we can eat, etc.  I ‘ll have to see if I can get a picture or two.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I think the red ones in the smaller vase are what we call Fireweed.  It grows all over everywhere…especially after a fire…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh…ok.  I was thinking some type of aster.  There’s another flower called fireweed I’ve seen around in the woods a lot but it looks different.  The local names don’t always match up everywhere, do they?  But I guess our only option is to learn all those latin names and then nobody’d ever know what each other was talking about…lol.  Nice phto, though…they are beautiful by any name.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I managed to snap some one-handed photos while watering this morning… my fiddle/banjo-making gourds, if I’m lucky, plus the flowers of them, a little patch of sunflowers, and my hummingbird vine…the red flower…the flowers of this plant aren’t out a whole lot yet, but soon will speckle the vine and we’ll have hummingbirds, bees, and butterflys hovering all over, plus I got a photo of one of my calendula patches…I am eating one calendula blossom a day…supposed to be really high in lutein, zeazanthin, and mesozeazanthin (supposedly something your body converts it from the other stuff), so you can see what’s what when you’re old and cranky.  One-handed cell phone shots while watering the plants this morning.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You’re supposed to clamp two 1 x ? boards around the gourds to make them flat for the banjo and maybe the fiddle too, but, of course, I’ve barely had time to put the seeds in the ground and keep up with bugs, watering, and freezing produce, so…mine are not gonna be flat…oh well….doubt we’ll have time to even try to make the instruments anyway…but…hoping, just in case.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thank you Rodger and Cricket. What a beautiful splash of color and a sweet aroma at BGD today!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in