Too doggone cold, ain't it?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Too doggone cold, ain't it?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 6 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Better check and make sure your fiddles are staying in tune…this kinda weather just about the whole US is having is really tough on them.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Sorry about that!   When the cold air moves south to the lower 48, our weather gets warmer.  We’ve gone from below zero to 40 above this past week.  I’ll take the colder weather since we now have freezing rain and neighborhood roads covered in ice – walking outside requires cleats.  I’ll take cold squeeky snow anyday.

Joe

Kaeleigh
    Participant

How about a wind chill of -55 degrees and a air temperature of -30? I can’t keep anything in tune! Even the piano sounds funny :)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh gosh.  Everybody stay warm!  Icebike, you can take it back and give us ours back…lol.  We had the mud for a while, then it froze, then it got snow and slush…messy winter here so far. Now we’re waiting for our share of this cold…not as bad as what Kaeleigh is getting.  Y’all stay warm!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

It has not been so bad here in Arkansas , Guess I better knock on some wood ! Ha!

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It dipped into the low single digits here for a few nights, but I can’t even imagine the temperatures around the central canada and the lakes! Hope you all stayed safe.

Joe, I agree about the freezing rain — I’d rather see snow any day!

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

We are back to zero so everyone in the southlands should be warming up as the polar vortex returns home!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

But what did the groundhog decide about this?  We don’t have any around here….

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Just got back from winter retreat with the church youth group, where playing sports in gym shorts and soccer shirts was still way too hot. Of course, it is Texas….

Kaeleigh
    Participant

I have a friend from Texas who is visiting my church (We’re on the Illinois/Wisconsin border) and he was absolutely miserable this past week, poor thing! Even now that we’re having a ‘heat wave’ the piles of dirty snow  and the freezing rain really bother our guests!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think Texas sounds a lot easier…lol.  Our family who went to live in Wisconsin, from East TN, just went up during the summer…she is positively miserable.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

If you don’t like the weather in Texas, wait two hours and it will be different

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh, well that’s not good, then…lol.  i guess I’ll just keep what i’ve got here…we have that some days though…first you can’t get warm, then you’re so hot it’s almost sickening…get yourself unlayered, wipe the sweat away, then you are freezing again…etc., etc., etc.  I’m not crazy about that weather either…I think I just like perfect weather…lol…continuously perfect.  Where’m I gonna find that?

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

In Africa

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh…but them horrifying skeeters!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Them skeeters ain’t as bad as here, and they’re a small price to pay for good weather

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok, then.  I’m gonna have to go to Africa!  I’d love to see giraffes just running around on their own.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

It’s 35 below F. here at midnight & dropping like a rock.  Probably get to -40 by morning or lower.  The dogs are outside and just love it.  I couldn’t make them stay in ….they went out on their own…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

gee whiz that’s cold!  Our dogs wont go out if it gets below 20 or so.  We have to pick them up and force them outside.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

My little weather station showed it hit -44 last night, but it’s up to -35 now.  This Alberta weather usually ends up down in the midwest in a few days.  But the if the gulf weather comes up through Texas and pushes it farther north, you guys won’t get it down south, & of course it drastically warms up along the way.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Whoa…that’s COLD, Rodger.  I don’t think I could stand it. I think we’re supposed to get heavy rains again next.  It was a wet summer, wet fall, wet winter so far…yick.  The way our area is geographically situated…we’re on a little hillside…the runoff comes barreling down, keeps erosion problems always going here, and gives us very damp, moldy, sometimes flooded areas of our houses, on this side of the road…and the mud outside is just pretty bad right now.  You just about can’t walk through the yard right now.  I think it’s supposed to get cold again too, but not half as bad as it was last week.  I’m ready to get out there and get the garden going, though…lol.  Already thinking about how/when/where to start seeds in a few weeks!

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Rodger, I hope everyone up there is staying inside and warm. I know everyone is prepared for cold weather, but still, those temperatures are nothing to mess around with. I just checked your weather and it looks like it won’t even get above zero today, and will be in the negative twenties tonight — brutal, and with no end in sight! We think about you all a lot and hope spring comes soon up there.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

We had been spoiled with warm winters.  Starting to lose our pine trees to the pine beetle, but this should knock them for a while & help out.  I love it and the dogs love it…nothing like going out & breathing the cold air, then setting in front of the fire.  It was around -30 last night.  It’s a lot colder out here on the foot hill creeks than it is at the weather station in town.  The air gets churned up and the cold lays in the bottoms and warmer air on the ridges.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Our friends down in Whitley Co. tell us the scrub pines are all dying out there too…don’t remember why.  Our trees around here are dying from emerald ash bore and some new kinda invasive bug too…ain’t gonna be nothin’ left.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well when the bugs take over the world and the trees are all gone, we’ll have to play music on Afiddles Cricket, I guess…

they teach evolution in the schools now, but what they don’t acknowledge is if they believe it could  e-volve, ………then it would be ‘much easier’ for it to   de-volve, and I guess that would be devolution, and it wouldn’t take millions of years.  We lost the chestnut trees, which at one time was over 25% of the hardwoods in the Appalachians, and the passenger pigeons in just one generation.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It’s sad to see species go by the wayside.  From what I heard about the chestnut trees (already gone I guess before my time), the old folks always said the bears didn’t used to bother people until the chestnuts disappeared, because the only mast left for them was bitter, and not sweet like the chestnut, so they came bothering people to find something sweet.  I remember hearing that the bluebirds once blackened the sky during migration.  We used to have parakeets native to southeastern U. S. too…we do have a lot of starlings now…lol…I guess we can get used to them.  Supposedly they can be taught to talk…boy do they blacken the sky and eat the birdseed.  Got those Asian clams in the river now and poachers selling off the endangered indigenous clams.  Greed is what is destroying our beautiful world.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, these bugs & blights that kill our trees, the garbage birds, starlings & sparrows, the trash fish that are taking over the waters, and it goes on & on….all come from Asia & Europe…so, what happened over there?  Is there anything left?  And why does just the garbage species  of bugs, fish, birds come here and kill all our stuff?  I mean, isn’t there a beautiful tree or bug or bird or fish or something that would come too….that we could like?  If this is a Murphy’s law type world law of physics, then what happens if an outer space species comes here?  Looks like we’d really be in for it then.  Just think of the horrible music some alien fiddler could inundate us with!  Can you imagine what our fiddles could be polluted  with, and the stuff we’d have to practice?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You know…I’ve wondered if our stuff is invading Asia, so maybe Asia is becoming the Americas, and vice versa, etc.  But one year as we were running up and down between Ky and Tn along 75…we kept seeing these beautiful trees that had what looked like lilac blossoms dangling off of them.  Trees with beautiful, draping blossoms along the rocky ridges that 75 cuts through…Mike asked me what they were (he thinks i know everything…lol)…I’m like…I don’t ever remember seeing those trees ever in my life.  I looked it up when we got back home and I could get online…they were Paulonia trees (I’m sure I’ve misspelled that)… they are Chinese trees that people started trying to grow for quick lumber and easy money.  Most farmers dropped the efforts after a while for some reason, but, since then, back whenever it was, the trees have taken off, invasively smothering out native trees and thus native foods for our native species, and generally disrupting the ecosystem here.  This has happened around these parts of Northern Ky with a tree invented by a guy…called Bradford Pears.  They’re an ornamental pear that bears no fruit…or only hard little berries…but no real fruit. When we first came up here the university I got the job at had those trees all around the building I worked in.  I was pretty much homeless and starving, having come up for the job and left Mike and Annie behind until we could manage to get settled up here…which took six months…so I was hungry…pretty hungry. I asked, unfortunately in a library-wide meeting, in front of everybody, if anybody was welcome to those pears, or who could take them, or could we buy them or what?  Well it took about 15 mintues for the laughter to stop, because they thought I was such a dummy, for lots of reasons, but this added to that…lol.  They thought I was a dummy for thinking pear trees had pears. Once they could stop laughing long enough to explain that to me…that they have no need for messy pears, just for beautiful blossoms…that those trees were special and valued because they had no pears…I sat dumbfounded, and remember…HUNGRY…and I told them that was the stupidist thing I’d ever heard of in my life. lol…Ok…I did have a little cultural shock…but fast forward…all of this region has a big problem with those Bradford pear trees now…because it turns out they spread like mad, their roots give off toxins, and of course they kill the native plants all through the hills and forests and the state of kentucky advises anyone who sees the trees to cut them down, no matter where they are.  But people still love them.  Crazy.  Those trees are killing a lot of native plants, and thus animals…but people want a blossom and no fruit.  That still amazes me.  I have one pear tree, but from what I understand it’s only a matter of time until the pollen from those poisonous Bradford pears all over will infect my tree and cause it to become a Bradford pear too…then I’ll have to cut it down.  That’s just so nutty to me.  I can’t understand it.  I think native plants are beautiful…and I think fruit on a tree is beautiful, and only messy if you don’t pick it up and eat it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.