Total Solar Eclipse

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

This is a really historic event for our lifetime.  The narrow band of totality stretches from coast to coast & a lot of folks on this forum live close enough to be within a few hours drive.  Weather conditions for this time of year should be favourable and it happens at midday.  The date is Aug 21st, and as Murphy’s law is still alive & well it has got me on this one.  I had planned a trip south to the States to take this in, but it falls during our summer Alberta fiddle camp, which is the highlight of the year for me and my agonising decision is to stay for fiddle camp.  It’s the only opportunity I have in my “lifetime” to see a total ‘Solar’ eclipse in the area of totality and it comes during the only week of the entire year I can’t go!  I’ll probably spend the day in tears, but, such is life when you live on Murphy’s planet.  Just want to emphasize that unless you view this from the band of totality it will be pretty much a non-event.  The reason being that the sun is so bright, even with most of it blocked out, unless it is ‘totally covered’ it will still be daylight.  However, in that narrow band of totality it will get dark and some stars will be visible, and you will be able to observe the famous ‘diamond ring’ effect.  It will be spectacular if you’re in a clear sky spot.   Also take note that so many people will be flooding into the camps & towns within that narrow band, if you plan on going, be sure and plan for that.  Also, if you live in that band you have an economic opportunity to put up a sign and invite viewers to set up for the day on your land where they can have some comparative elbow room.

Enjoy the wonders and life between sun, moon and earth:)

Angela
    Participant

Proud to be in the path of totality. :^)  I think we will have about 1:35 minutes of darkness.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sorry you have to miss it, Rodger.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

At least I got to see Halley’s comet…sort of…where I was it was pretty much a dud.  Nothing like my Granpap’s stories of it when he was young and saw it.

1:35 Angela!  Hardly long enough to take a nap…that’d be something to say you took a nap in the dark at noon..

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’m probably heading to Cashiers or Highlands with a convoy of fiddle campers. Hoping for good weather!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

In the early 1980’s (I believe), there was a partial solar eclipse and I was in South Dakota.  It was blizzardy & really cold…too cloudy to see anything of the sun all day…total non-event…Murphy’s blizzard.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Forecast is for sunny skies up here, although we only get a partial eclipse, so it won’t be much except a chunk taken out of the sun.  Looks like it will be in the middle of a stable high pressure system, so prospects are good for what it’s worth, up here.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Everyone knows, from our ancestors, that the eclipse is caused by sky monsters that spend their time chasing the sun across the sky.  When they finally get close and take a bite out it, everyone has to bang some pots & pans and make a bunch of noise to scare them away before they eat it all up!

Here’s a quote from:  astronomer E.C. Krupp, director of the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles.

“You will be happy to know that here at the Griffith Observatory, which is the most-visited public observatory on the planet, whenever there’s an eclipse here, we do exactly the same thing,” he said. “We observe it … but when we get to the height of the eclipse, we know that we have a responsibility to make sure that the sun or the moon comes back, and so there’s a crew of us who get out there, banging on pots and pans and doing our job.”

There you have it.  But we fiddlers can help a lot better than just banging pots & pans to scare those ferocious sky wolves.  We can get our fiddles out and play Ghost Riders in the Sky, in some screechy off key to add a lot better effect to scaring them.   That’s actually why John’s taking a whole load of fiddlers out to the dark spot.  But the farther away you are from the band of totality the greater likelihood of success you will have to protect the sun.  It’s been a hundred years since our sky critters here in good ole North America have had a full coast to coast chase of the sun, so they are really hungry!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hahahaha that was a great quote, Rodger.

We will start playing “You are my sunshine” as soon as it starts growing dark!

I hope you have a great fiddle camp. Be sure to send us an update!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well we made it to Knoxville where it was 99% or so…I tried to record it on the iPad, and watched with my eclipse glasses…could see it really good that way but the video washed it out to where the moon over the sun just looked like a big spotlight…couldn’t tell ne thing.  Then my daughter told me you’re supposed to cover the iPad camera with the glasses…oops…ok, so 400 years from now or she er, I’ll know better.  We took pictures with our phones of the eerie strange darkness coming on, but then realized our phones were adjusting the light and ruined the pictures.  A few minutes after the height of what darkness we did get,..couldn’t see stars, but the night insects started singing and it just looked really eerie and weird, we noticed the shadows coming through the tree leaves on the driveway as the light came back…so…snapped that one anyway, with the phone.  Long trip,..but good to see everybody and the sun, it moon!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cool pic!

I’m still in eclipse traffic at 11:20 PM. It’s the worst I’ve ever seen. However, the totality was awesome. I went to Niota, TN, and timed around 2:40 of darkness. The crickets were singing and the planets and stars came out. When the sun came back, the birds started singing as if it were morning. There was a deep sunset that started in the south then expanded until it was 360 degrees all around us. It was really cool.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Neat…the 100% totality woulda been the thing to see! That must’ve been awesome…it’s amazing.  We didn’t hit much traffic going down, but plenty coming back home…even ran across a car engulfed in flames…fortunately the people were standing outside of it, helplessly watching and probably hoping their auto insurance would step up to the occasion…which of course is much less predictable than the eclipse!  Oh…slipping off topic here…I’m sure it’s all related, ya know, on the universal scale of things.  Anyway…yes…they said we didn’t have an eclipse since 1979… I remember 1979 well…an enormous year of events for us, but I don’t remember that eclipse.  But I do remember a pretty good one back around the mid-80s or so…I was the lone soul homeschooling in ky ( like one of the handful in the whole state!), and my daughter and I made boxes to view the eclipse through while her dad was out drilling water wells…lol…I remember it got pretty eerily dark that time too.  But haven’t heard that one mentioned…maybe just the totality thing they’re referring to or something…my memories just arent jiving well with the eclipse reports I’m hearing.  But if I do have to wait a whole 400 years for the next one…I’ve now learned how to properly record the event with my iPad…lol.  I hope there will be some more before the 400 year mark!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It was amazing. By now I have forgotten the traffic and just remember the eclipse.

Cricket, you won’t be far at all from the 2024 eclipse. I’m probably heading to KY or MO for that one, Lord willing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in